Seasonal hiring questions

So I applied to a seasonal package handler online, had an appointment today with other applicants and while I was there, we were given the option to apply for either a seasonal driver or seasonal package handler...

I want to be a driver and I was told they are in need of a lot of seasonal drivers so I decided to go for it. The women in charge had us hand in a paper stating which position we were interested in interviewing for so I decided to try at the driving position since that is really what I want to ultimately pursue. I'm hoping that if I can get my foot in the door as a seasonal driver, I'll have a better chance as getting hired on full time after peak season as FT package handler which will eventually lead to a FT driving position.

So I have a few questions...

I meant to ask this there but how long will it take for me to hear back for an interview or if they decide not to interview me are they going to give me a heads up?

I don't have any experience in package delivery, but I have driven stick shift my whole life and only have one driving violation from the past 3 years (non moving violation - equipment used improperly or obstructed) and I have never been in an accident. So the second question, am I better off just calling and saying I'd prefer to interview for the package handler? I put on the paper that I am interested in package handling but I am afraid that if they decide not to hire or interview me for driving position I will lose out on the opportunity of getting in with the company.

Appreciate any help or input anyone can provide.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Absolutely go for seasonal driver. Let them know at the interview you are seeking permanent employment with the company, and if seasonal driver is not available than package handler or driver helper would be acceptable to you. Important note: there is no FT package handler job (at least that you would get as a new hire), only PT.

Do you have the proper license for driving the delivery truck (UPS calls it a package car)? A CDL is not required, however the weight of the truck (up to 26,000 lbs)(regular hydraulic brakes, not air brakes) means a step up from your standard license for your personal vehicle. In my state it's a "class C, non-CDL". Some states require an additional endorsement for commercial property-carrying vehicles.
If you don't have the proper license, you will need at least a learner's permit so you can take a road test.
Also you should get an official transcript (abstract) of your driving record from the state to make sure there isn't anything on your record in error.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Definitely try driving. See if you like it. Nothing worse then being inside and finding out in a few years you hate driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also you should get an official transcript (abstract) of your driving record from the state to make sure there isn't anything on your record in error.

You may be able to avoid a trip to the DMV by ordering this online. In New York, which also requires a Class C--Non-CDL, it is $7 for a copy of your abstract, which is sent to your e-mail address with a physical copy sent through the mail.

After looking @ my license it says it is "class C - Noncommercial vehicles weighing 26,000 or less pounds GVW, except Motorcycles" so I am guessing at the moment I am not qualified due to not having an adequate license...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Is that what your state requires? In my state you just need your license, DOT physical, 5 year driving abstract...that's all. These questions will be answered by your HR person. It varies from location to location so we could give you the answers to where we are which helps you not at all. Unfortunately you'll have to be patient and get your honest answers from your local HR. Good luck! Oh and by the way, in my location, only 1 person in the last 10 years has been hired on as a driver. And he had to move 60 miles away to a remote center to do it. 85ish% of drivers start as part time package handlers and have to wait in seniority order to go driving, which I may add is kind of a bitch. The other 15% is part timers who went into part time management and went driving. This is done on a managers favorite/future upper management material/diversity hiring process. Again, good luck!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
After looking @ my license it says it is "class C - Noncommercial vehicles weighing 26,000 or less pounds GVW, except Motorcycles" so I am guessing at the moment I am not qualified due to not having an adequate license...
Class C= you should be good.

Box Ox

Driving is the better gig, but seasonal package handler is more likely to get your foot in the door as a permanent employee. Doubt a seasonal driver would bump off any seasonal handler that's been working on the inside that sups want to keep. Roll of the dice either way.

PT Car Washer

You will make a lot more money seasonal driving for a month or two then being a PT package handler. If you don't quit the first week that is. After Christmas you go into the pool of potential PTers along with all the other seasonal workers.

Which two positions? PT package handler or seasonal driver position?

The interview is for seasonal driver, but I will make them aware that if it doesn't work out I will gladly work as a package handler.

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.

Thank you! Everyone here has been helpful and I really want this job. I have always wanted to do this and work for UPS so hopefully I'll get my foot in the door and make a career out of it!

brownforrest

I interviewed last wednesday oct 8th, with ups. The hr guy told me I was a good candidate and I am hired he just needed to push my paper work threw and I would hear from them. It is now over a week since then and I have not heard anything, and I know that the last training session for seasonal drivers is next week, because they told us that. Was the HR guy just yessing me? Do I call? I'm not really sure what to do....thanks

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I interviewed last wednesday oct 8th, with ups. The hr guy told me I was a good candidate and I am hired he just needed to push my paper work threw and I would hear from them. It is now over a week since then and I have not heard anything, and I know that the last training session for seasonal drivers is next week, because they told us that. Was the HR guy just yessing me? Do I call? I'm not really sure what to do....thanks
Welcome to the Dumb and Dumber company, where their so dumb they could screw up a wet dream dude lol.

ChristianUp$

It took me 4 weeks to wait for a supervisor to train me. At my center they like to vacate around the beginning of peek. Hang in there. I did what most wouldn't. Stop showing up at the hub and got a part time gig just to make ends meet. I was frustrated about me passing class and having to wait 3 weeks longer than I was told. Call them twice a week. Good luck. And don't put your eggs in one basket.