Seasonal walker working outdoors...scarves not allowed??

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Best winter gear I've ever gotten: ragg wool socks, a balaclava and waterproof boots if you are walking in snow. Personally, I don't like any extra insulation in my boots. My feet sweat with insulation. The ragg wool socks take care of my feet. You can get the best Woolrich ragg wool socks on Amazon. They run $21 for 3 pair. Some people find wool itchy, but the socks don't feel itchy like a heavy wool sweater. I can't get enough of those socks, because even if your feet get wet, they still stay warm.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The last 3 helpers I have worked with have been petite younger women who showed up to work on their first day wearing mens uniform pants that were at least 6" too long and so baggy in the ass that it looked like they had diapers on underneath. One gal was practically in tears because the pants she was issued hung down so low in the butt that her underwear were visible. My first stop of the day would always be nearest public restroom so that they could change back into their own pants, and the uniform "clown pants" they were issued would would get tossed back into the corner of the package compartment on top of my pile of tire chains, where they served me quite well as disposable towels to lie on while chaining up or to wipe the mud, snow and rust off of my hands when I was done.

Wizzy

It is sad our company is being run by people who never have done the job. I only hope we don't end up like REA!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow.

I'm speechless.

I'll give you an example---when I was military I was in charge of vehicle maintenance for my operation (fuels management). I am not a car guy by any means but I knew how to manage both the military and civilian personnel under my charge. The vehicles were maintained properly and documentation completed accurately.

UPS has a CEO and a Board of Directors---how many do you think have ever delivered a package, let alone been on a pkg car? The tasks of actually running the operation is delegated to the District Level and below.

Do you think Jerry Jones knows what a naked bootleg is? No but somehow he is still able to manage the highest valued professional sports franchise in the world.

pkgdriver

Me thinks Jerry has played plenty of football at a high level. Hopefully though he never wins another game as an owner.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do you think Jerry Jones knows what a naked bootleg is? No but somehow he is still able to manage the highest valued professional sports franchise in the world.

He does own the team, but when he tries to play G.M., the team goes to hell. What good is Value and name recognition if you deliver an inferior product/service.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You don't have to know how to do the job to (successfully) manage it.

I guess my definition of "manage" is to be directly responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of the job, and the employees who do it.

Obviously, to use your hypothetical comparison, Jerry Jones ( or any other successful sports franchise owner) does not need to have the ability to kick or throw a football in order to own a football franchise since he is not the one on the field "managing" the plays and the personell. That job falls to a coach, who does in fact need to have actual experience with the game of football in order to succeed at his job.

Carrying this analogy over to UPS...all to often we see examples in our workplace of operational decisions being made by people who are not qualified to make them. We see equipment that is designed and ordered by people who will never have to operate it. We see facilities designed by people who will never have to work in them. UPS is, unfortunately, run by a collection of paranoid, metrics-obsessed "absentee landlords" who micromanage from afar and who are unwilling to delegate important operational decisions to subordinates who are qualified by virtue of experience to make them.

Jerry Jones succeeds as an owner of a football franchice because he is smart enough to delegate the important play-calling and personell decisions to his subordinates who are qualified by virtue of experience to make them.

DS

Fenderbender
Rosemary T.(OP)
It can get pretty cold here in Canada,and as others have noted,the trick to staying warm lies in the layering.
On the really cold days I wear 1 sleeveless t shirt,2 short sleeve,and usually 2 long sleeve.
2 long sleeve ups shirts, and 2 ups vests and I don't need the bulky winter coat.
Below,2 pajama bottoms and 1 or 2 pairs of ups pants depending on how cold it is.
Thinsulate boots and 2 pair of warm socks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess my definition of "manage" is to be directly responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of the job, and the employees who do it.

That's insightful.

What you are describing is "Supervise".

Managing is at a higher level ... in fact, I hardly even call what a a Center Manager does "Manage".

OptimusPrime

Jerry Jones succeeds as an owner of a football franchice because he is smart enough to delegate the important play-calling and personell decisions to his subordinates who are qualified by virtue of experience to make them.

Someone doesn't watch much football. Would Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett be considered good decisions on Jones part?

rosemarytea

The last 3 helpers I have worked with have been petite younger women who showed up to work on their first day wearing mens uniform pants that were at least 6" too long and so baggy in the ass that it looked like they had diapers on underneath. One gal was practically in tears because the pants she was issued hung down so low in the butt that her underwear were visible. My first stop of the day would always be nearest public restroom so that they could change back into their own pants, and the uniform "clown pants" they were issued would would get tossed back into the corner of the package compartment on top of my pile of tire chains, where they served me quite well as disposable towels to lie on while chaining up or to wipe the mud, snow and rust off of my hands when I was done.

Ahhhh!! Yeah my entire uniform is between two and three sizes too big for me, depending on the piece because they claimed they've never needed to have such sizes available. The pants are a men's 30, and my waist is a 27 and I have rather short legs so the pants to a really awkward baggy/hovering up near my chest sort of thing. I asked my trainer if she had anything smaller and she didn't bother looking further and just told me no. She didn't have a belt for me either and told me to buy my own. Not to mention I don't feel particularly professional looking when my coat engulfs me. I'm sort of hoping my driver suggests the same thing, I haven't gotten to meet him yet (Tomorrow!) so we'll see what he says. I don't understand, they must have SOME smaller women working for them. Oh well, I'm not really going to make a big deal of it since I am temporary. I may hem the pants myself, though.

As for warmth, I've got some nice thick hiking socks to wear, leggings for under the massive pants, and conveniently enough a turtleneck that is the same shade of brown as the rest of my uniform. I think I'll be alright, and as it gets colder I might trade the leggings for full on pajama pants for extra insulation. And of course I'm in the process of knitting my cowl (sort of the same thing as a gaiter actually).

barnyard

KTM rider
You should be meeting your driver somewhere on route and not see a manager for the rest of the season. I would ditch the browns entirely. Where jeans that are not faded or patched and you should be good to go. The 1st year I was a helper, I wore jeans every day. I had a UPS jacket and vest that fit, so I wore them. Everything else I described, I wear as a FT driver.