Second Class Drivers

F

Frankie's Friend

It would make sense if this is what would actually happen. The problem is that there would never be a bid for an actual full time driver again. Every job in the future would be this lower paid hybrid job on paper, but in reality they will drive all day. This is just a loophole for the company to cut 5$ of pay from all these positions.
The mudslide is real. It'll never get back up the hill and the next concessions will be more mudslides.

F

Frankie's Friend

Don't most drivers put in more than that off the clock each week?
Actually I'm guessing that drivers average 7 hrs ot per week. Some have more.

I dont think that the issue is whether the 23-3 22-2, or FT pkg car driver jobs are better. That's up to each member to choose.

The issue is the slippery slope that the alleged "hybrid" jobs start if not paid at the FT driver wage.
The whole thing smells rotten and if you want both pt and pkg car staffing filled then pay the new hires a decent wage, forget the bonus in hubs, and pkg car staffing will take care of itself imo.

Hadjabear

Why not just have part time weekend drivers, they work 2 days a week Saturday Sunday, get driver pay, gaurenteed 8 a day, but part time benefits including vacation. Can't be used mon-fri including peak. Only extra work they could do is voluntary no force for single day vacation coverage, which would allow more approved sdv requests.

PT Car Washer

Why not just have part time weekend drivers, they work 2 days a week Saturday Sunday, get driver pay, gaurenteed 8 a day, but part time benefits including vacation. Can't be used mon-fri including peak. Only extra work they could do is voluntary no force for single day vacation coverage, which would allow more approved sdv requests.
Our PT air drivers work 50+ hours a week doing voluntary ground delivery and pick ups. There is nothing in the current contract that allows for PT Ground drivers.

Hadjabear

Our PT air drivers work 50+ hours a week doing voluntary ground delivery and pick ups. There is nothing in the current contract that allows for PT Ground drivers.

I'm not saying free reign for extra work, I'm saying Joe Blow and 10 others put in a request for sdv put it up for bid for those weekend drivers to cover those specific routes, not this cut route/training routes crap they already do with the part time sdv cover drivers. If 5 volunteer then top 5 get their sdv. If no one is requesting a sdv/ph then those weekend guys aren't working

A new classification for PT weekend ground drivers. That's all they do, no hub work, no preload nothing but Saturday Sunday. If everyone is complaining that they have to work weekends what difference does it make who does it as long as it's union employees doing it. Put language that prohibits mon- Fri work except for that voluntary sdv coverage no if ands or buts. Or no sdv coverage, just saw as a way to help increase sdv appoval

Yep...that’s like that on the whole west coast....San Diego’s, LA, Bay Area, Portland, Seattle/Bellevue....the list goes on and on....
You clould never easily buy in those places on a ups wage. But there are smaller places you could buy on the water. Or you could move to the Wild West.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I'm not saying free reign for extra work, I'm saying Joe Blow and 10 others put in a request for sdv put it up for bid for those weekend drivers to cover those specific routes, not this cut route/training routes crap they already do with the part time sdv cover drivers. If 5 volunteer then top 5 get their sdv. If no one is requesting a sdv/ph then those weekend guys aren't working

A new classification for PT weekend ground drivers. That's all they do, no hub work, no preload nothing but Saturday Sunday. If everyone is complaining that they have to work weekends what difference does it make who does it as long as it's union employees doing it. Put language that prohibits mon- Fri work except for that voluntary sdv coverage no if ands or buts. Or no sdv coverage, just saw as a way to help increase sdv appoval
The minimum amount of vacation requests are already covered in the contract. If you would like more then change that language. The company will not use part time drivers to cover vacations. They will use them to replace full time drivers