Seniority rules when a Local joins another Local?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes almost 10 1/2 years to go to a full time driving position

Right, but that's not a progression, and has nothing to do with your local. It's entirely dependent on openings in your building and your building seniority. If the two of you were still pt going in to the new building, you would have been hired as a driver first. I waited 7 years to become a driver. A one year part timer became a sup just in time to snag an outside hire slot for driving. It's at least partly a roll of the dice how things work out, and you don't always know the result of the roll until years later.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
(Not exactly on topic, but somewhat related) We had a satellite building in our local that had no pt insiders. All their drivers were outside hires as a result. They had trouble finding qualified applicants, they kept quitting before the end of their first week. I put up a stink about not being able to bid on the routes, now the satellite shares seniority with the building that feeds it so part timers from that building can bid on routes in the satellite.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Sucks i know thats what ive been hearing.... the other Local go full time faster and so theres no way to argue that hire date should be used instead of full time date?

I doubt it. Can't hurt to try. It's not a contract issue, strictly a union rule issue (anyone feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong). Though the company does have to honor seniority as determined by the union.

jaker

trolling
Here your full time date is half of what you worked PT when you go full time

So if you worked 4 years PT and drove 2 then your FT is 4 years

The other way around if you worked 2 years PT and drove 4 then your FT is 5

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here your full time date is half of what you worked PT when you go full time

So if you worked 4 years PT and drove 2 then your FT is 4 years

The other way around if you worked 2 years PT and drove 4 then your FT is 5

Where I'm at that only applies for vacation accrual. For bidding on routes, or other seniority issues, it's your full time hire date.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Right and the op is having a seniority issue

Yep, and he will have more vacation than the other guy. The other guy will be able to pick his weeks first, and have more seniority for bidding on routes, and passing on/accepting extra work, etc., unless seniority works differently in his local than it does in mine. Based on what he says, that's not the case.

brownelf

This is a contract issue, every time it's brought up at our demands meeting for the last few contracts its been shot down by the FT people hired off the street. There's should only be one seniority date, your date of hire. This would eliminate so many issues that come up due to many of us having multiple dates depending on classification or FT/PT seniority.

Dr.Brownz

I did ask the stewart, business agent and even the president of my Local. Dovetail makes no sense. Ive been with UPS going on 12 yrs driver for 1yr and a half. The other local has 2 yr driver and only been with UPS 9 years. So the dovetail puts him above me In seniority but yet ive been with UPS longer.

In my local in the west they gave new FT guys who had been PT a long time partial credit for their time to count toward Vacation weeks only. So you keep your weeks for vacation but the other guy who has been FT longer though with the company less time will be above you for route picks, vacation picks and every other thing

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
This is a contract issue, every time it's brought up at our demands meeting for the last few contracts its been shot down by the FT people hired off the street. There's should only be one seniority date, your date of hire. This would eliminate so many issues that come up due to many of us having multiple dates depending on classification or FT/PT seniority.
Attempting to change seniority rights language tends to get people heated. It’s very difficult and many would say unfair to adjust how seniority rights work when there is language that exists and has been followed in prior contracts. We don’t have classification seniority here, just friend/T and P/T dates. It seems to work.

lolbr

There was likely a reason the other "local" has shorter waits to go full time.
I could have went full time 4 years sooner in the same local, had I drove out of a nearby hub. There's a reason for that; no one wanted to drive out of that hub.

All time is not equal.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is all covered in contract supplements. Get it, read it. There are even paragraphs that state how a situation that is not covered will be handled.

reginald95

Usually you go by FT seniority regardless of who's joining who unless the other people volunteer to transfer to that local. If it's a forced issue then they go by FT seniority.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
wow. date of hire is all we use here i believe. i was never part time and while i was on preload about a half dozen part timers got full time promotions under a certain manager and they all jumped ahead of me in seniority because they where hired the year before me. i was dropped back in full time vacation picks and i lost out on three different clerk job bids and a feeder bid to those guys a few years later. in fact a part time preloader with a lot of years just came in my center as a driver recently and dovetailed right in cause of his seniority date of hire and was able to win a bid route within a few months over a lot of other guys who have been full time drivers for years.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
wow. date of hire is all we use here i believe. i was never part time and while i was on preload about a half dozen part timers got full time promotions under a certain manager and they all jumped ahead of me in seniority because they where hired the year before me. i was dropped back in full time vacation picks and i lost out on three different clerk job bids and a feeder bid to those guys a few years later. in fact a part time preloader with a lot of years just came in my center as a driver recently and dovetailed right in cause of his seniority date of hire and was able to win a bid route within a few months over a lot of other guys who have been full time drivers for years.
There are a lot of centers that don't have full time inside positions, so when we talk about going full time, we usually mean driving. I always try to specify that anyway. From what others have posted it sounds like inside positions are on one seniority list (should be for each building, but that may vary) regardless of pt or ft status, hence classification seniority. That driver you specified should only have been dovetailed in if he was following work into the building.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I did ask the stewart, business agent and even the president of my Local. Dovetail makes no sense. Ive been with UPS going on 12 yrs driver for 1yr and a half. The other local has 2 yr driver and only been with UPS 9 years. So the dovetail puts him above me In seniority but yet ive been with UPS longer.
Yep, same as if two centers merge. You are screwed.

tumblr_inline_nn9qh17n6N1s8r6u7_500.gif

Above10200

What are the seniority rules when one union local joins another? Ive heard dovetail for seniority, but both locals have a different progresion time for becoming full time. Example one local has a 10+ years to become full time and the other is a few years less. Anyone has info on this?
I am reading the contract now, don't quickly see anything under the national contract! Will let you know central region contract article 3!

Last edited: