Seniority rules when a Local joins another Local?

panchovilla

What are the seniority rules when one union local joins another? Ive heard dovetail for seniority, but both locals have a different progresion time for becoming full time. Example one local has a 10+ years to become full time and the other is a few years less. Anyone has info on this?

panchovilla

I did ask the stewart, business agent and even the president of my Local. Dovetail makes no sense. Ive been with UPS going on 12 yrs driver for 1yr and a half. The other local has 2 yr driver and only been with UPS 9 years. So the dovetail puts him above me In seniority but yet ive been with UPS longer.

542thruNthru

Do you have classification seniority? If so then I'd be willing to be it will be dovetail. He's been FT longer then you. So he will have more seniority then you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I did ask the stewart, business agent and even the president of my Local. Dovetail makes no sense. Ive been with UPS going on 12 yrs driver for 1yr and a half. The other local has 2 yr driver and only been with UPS 9 years. So the dovetail puts him above me In seniority but yet ive been with UPS longer.

Are you combining buildings? What difference does it make what local if not? What do you mean 10 years to become full time? Is that for FT inside positions? I can't believe a local would have rules for how long you have to wait before you could go full time. Are there buildings with more than one local?

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile

FT seniority takes precedence over company seniority, at least in my Local.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Hello there. No way in hell you have been here 12 years and still asked “Stewart”. I think I love you.

panchovilla

Yes it sounds like everyone i ask says dovetail but my argument is that the other Locals progression moves faster than my local so i dont think its fair. In the contract there no language when one local joins another local with different progression time. Dovetail works when routes move to another hub in the same Local.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Yes it sounds like everyone i ask says dovetail but my argument is that the other Locals progression moves faster than my local so i dont think its fair. In the contract there no language when one local joins another local with different progression time. Dovetail works when routes move to another hub in the same Local.
Life is not fair @barney.

Deal with it.

panchovilla

I started with asking a Stewart to get info and then moved up the chain of command. I dont just go straight up to the president of my Local without following the chain of command, you do that and the first thing that is said is talk to your business agent.

panchovilla

Found out life not fair when I was 5 yrs old. Want to get info on trying to change/modify the contract language or a better argument than “its not fair”

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'll make an attempt to answer your questions sans full information. The locals don't have rules for how long before going full time. It's based on building seniority and available openings. If you and the other driver aren't in the same building, his seniority should not have any impact on you whatsoever, maybe with the exception of going feeders. The issues arise when two buildings combine. If that's what's happening, then yes, he will have more seniority than you, which will affect bidding on routes, and who gets to pick vacations first. That's about it. Kinda sucks, but that's how it works.

U are a stupid stupid bastard.
7462194.gif

panchovilla

I'll make an attempt to answer your questions sans full information. The locals don't have rules for how long before going full time. It's based on building seniority and available openings. If you and the other driver aren't in the same building, his seniority should not have any impact on you whatsoever, maybe with the exception of going feeders. The issues arise when two buildings combine. If that's what's happening, then yes, he will have more seniority than you, which will affect bidding on routes, and who gets to pick vacations first. That's about it. Kinda sucks, but that's how it works.
Yes a new building opened up and my local took over it but routes from a different local also joined

panchovilla

Are you combining buildings? What difference does it make what local if not? What do you mean 10 years to become full time? Is that for FT inside positions? I can't believe a local would have rules for how long you have to wait before you could go full time. Are there buildings with more than one local?
Yes almost 10 1/2 years to go to a full time driving position

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes a new building opened up and my local took over it but routes from a different local also joined

Ok, so the locals aren't exactly combining, routes from another local are joining your local in a new building. The answer from my last post should still apply. You will have more vacation weeks, but he will get to pick the weeks first.

panchovilla

Ok, so the locals aren't exactly combining, routes from another local are joining your local in a new building. The answer from my last post should still apply. You will have more vacation weeks, but he will get to pick the weeks first.
Sucks i know thats what ive been hearing.... the other Local go full time faster and so theres no way to argue that hire date should be used instead of full time date?