Seniority...... who's got what???

Seniority where I am is based on:

• Total voters

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Big Chief Bug has spoken! Everybody get in line!
Maybe, you could put down your cocktail.... And, cobble together a coherent point ??

WTF

-Bug-
Pretty sure you two are on the same page, and @Jones was just making a joke???

Even if it was perceived as "backhanded", perhaps it was called for in reference to a guy who claimed:

"I've purposely stayed out of this thread, just to watch the responses"???

Why so sensitive, "Big Chief"???

~Bbbl~

Feederquacker

So what if he never held a a feeder position. What? Feeder drivers are God's gift to the world? And package car drivers
aren't nearly as skilled as feeder drivers and can't possibly come in and be safe? Please!
And there is the straw man!!! I've never even hinted that thought. You make that leap from past prejudices and it has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Here's a thought.... why don't you deal with the underlying problem here? Seems you have a street hire problem. Put language in your contract to eliminate it. We haven't had a street hire for feeder in like 30 years. I suppose that should be taken into consideration when looking at my motives for a red line.

oldupsman

And there is the straw man!!! I've never even hinted that thought. You make that leap from past prejudices and it has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Here's a thought.... why don't you deal with the underlying problem here? Seems you have a street hire problem. Put language in your contract to eliminate it. We haven't had a street hire for feeder in like 30 years. I suppose that should be taken into consideration when looking at my motives for a red line.

Well then what where you trying to say?
Let's say that there is a Feeder driver with 360 months or 30 yrs as a Feeder driver and a Package driver with 361 months or 30 yrs and a month as a Package driver. Both drivers have stayed in their respective Classifications for the duration of their careers and now the Package driver wants to change. You are comfortable with him jumping the line in Feeder even though he has never previously held a Feeder position? How do you square that?

Well then what were you trying to say? Why wouldn't the guy with more seniority be in front of the guy with less seniority?
How do I square that? Simple. HE HAS MORE SENIORITY! You certainly implied that the package driver didn't deserve it.
Why?

Feederquacker

Well then what where you trying to say?

Well then what were you trying to say? Why wouldn't the guy with more seniority be in front of the guy with less seniority?
How do I square that? Simple. HE HAS MORE SENIORITY! You certainly implied that the package driver didn't deserve it.
Why?
The point was that if the system in place was by Classification and the same scenario was there, changing the system means that the guy that's been in his job for 30 years now gets bumped by a guy that hasn't been doing the same job but has been employed longer. Doesn't matter if it is a feeder driver or a Package driver being displaced. For 30 years this person has worked his way up to the place he is now. Why should he be displaced by someone that waited till now to come over? This is where the red line comes in. You seem to be of the mind that it doesn't matter if people are harmed by this. That is disturbing that you have such little regard for your Teamster Brothers and Sisters to willingly and openly say you're ok with causing harm to someone's livelihood.

oldupsman

The point was that if the system in place was by Classification and the same scenario was there, changing the system means that the guy that's been in his job for 30 years now gets bumped by a guy that hasn't been doing the same job but has been employed longer. Doesn't matter if it is a feeder driver or a Package driver being displaced. For 30 years this person has worked his way up to the place he is now. Why should he be displaced by someone that waited till now to come over? This is where the red line comes in. You seem to be of the mind that it doesn't matter if people are harmed by this. That is disturbing that you have such little regard for your Teamster Brothers and Sisters to willingly and openly say you're ok with causing harm to someone's livelihood.

What bleepin harm are you talking about? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Come over? Come over from what?
You're all DRIVERS. Doesn't matter what you drive. Nobody's being displaced. No one is having their livelihood harmed.
You sit there and say for 30 years this guy has worked up to the place he has now. Well so has the other guy. But he's been there
a month longer. So he has SENIORITY. Livelihood being harmed. Give me a break.

oldupsman

I've purposely stayed out of this thread, just to watch the responses.

My Local recognizes company seniority. (as it should be)

I only know of one Local in the Central, that doesn't.

A 2 year guy off the street, should not have seniority, over a 25 year pkg driver.

It's as simple as that.

The funniest thing I have ever heard, was from a junior (off the street driver) claiming

"They are stealing our work"

But.... when faced with the decision of a layoff, or bumping into Pkg....

You can guess, what the guy chose.

More importantly, we shouldn't be trying to "pit" one against the other.

Put it to a vote of the membership.... and live with the results.

-Bug-
I

I can't stand it Bug. Please make him stop. My brain is about to explode.

The street feeder drivers in local 177 should be lucky they got hired in the first place... Now we have to say they get better privileges... When this changes and a off the street feeder drivers in local 177 don't like the idea, just quit and see if you can get hired feeder street in another local...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I can't stand it Bug. Please make him stop. My brain is about to explode.

Everyone, has a right to an opinion.

But.... I'll try.

Changing the system means that the guy that's been in his job for 30 years now gets bumped by a guy that hasn't been doing the same job but has been employed longer.

Pretty much.

Most people don't like change. They get in a set routine, the older they get.

That's the funny thing about feeders.... seniority is everything.

For 30 years this person has worked his way up to the place he is now. Why should he be displaced by someone that waited till now to come over?

Why would anyone, be so "possessive" of a particular job ??

It's not "their" job to begin with.

The company provides the work, and it all pays the same. (relatively speaking)

Sure, there are better runs. No doubt.

But, if you don't respect seniority.... you are all about "me".

And not a true Trade Unionist.

Kind of "suck the arse" of a company guy. ??

(I would bet money, you've complained to management)

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Feederquacker

No

But.... I'll try.

Pretty much.

-Bug-
Not even close.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Ar

But.... I'll try.

Pretty much.

-Bug-
Are you saying classification seniority should never be used?

oldupsman

You haven't had a street hire for feeder in 30 years? Sort of find. that hard to believe

oldupsman

The street feeder drivers in local 177 should be lucky they got hired in the first place... Now we have to say they get better privileges... When this changes and a off the street feeder drivers in local 177 don't like the idea, just quit and see if you can get hired feeder street in another local...

But wait. You haven't had a street hire for feeder for 30 years. Now somebody must be mistaken. Unless you two
are in different locals. Is that correct?

But wait. You haven't had a street hire for feeder for 30 years. Now somebody must be mistaken. Unless you two
are in different locals. Is that correct?
I'm in local 177 NJ... We have a lot of feeder street hired and still doing so... Quacker is from Georgia... Any local in the Atlantic agreement...

oldupsman

You mean there is another ridiculous local that has classification seniority. And they haven't had an off street
hire in 30 years? Talk to me Scratch.