PhatPattheRiverRat

How did you get the name PhatPhattheRiverRat? And with a name like that how did you get a girl friend?

My name is pat and I used to be fat, the river ran though my town and I liked to canoe in it.

Lost some lbs., and oozing sex appeal now. Wait until I get those short brown shorts on...I'll be givin the ladies whiplash.

9.5er

Wait time at my center is over 15 years. We may have 2 retire this year. They haven’t decided yet. Will be a few years before the next guy is of age to go out.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We are close to 10 yrs. No T -Sat routes offered as of yet. Been 10 yrs for my 29 yrs. But, half the building will be retirement age in 5 to 10 yrs

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
The baby boom retirement wave is hitting our center like a tsunami.

We've had 8 young guys qualify for full time bids in the last 10 months and brought on 5 reg-temp drivers since June 2017.

E

el blanco

I have multiple friends working for UPS as drivers in different areas of the country. In my area in the midwest, at all three hubs within 5-25 miles from me, the wait times to drive are roughly 6 months-1.5 years.

Talked to a buddy in Texas who said the time at his hub is the same. In Minnesota, at least according to a friend, it seems to be a similar situation at his hub.

With this prime anecdotal evidence, and lots of posts on here about shorter wait times and being understaffed across the board for this year's peak, does it seem like UPS is growing and driver wait times are shrinking in some areas? When I first looked into UPS about 5 years ago, all of my friends said to expect a 3-5 year wait to drive. Seems shorter in some places now. Just wondering about the factors causing this, if it is indeed happening.

3-5 years would be short

Heavy Package

Who wouldn't want to do this all day?!?

UPS-Driver--14801.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
the problem is like 80% of the posters here work in some one-horse town that UPS forgot about decades ago

in metro cities i'd say a year or two tops

Yep.

My Local has a major Hub, 2 other large buildings, and 2 extended centers.

The Central Region has a 6 month seniority requirement, for signing an intent sheet.

That was waived (by the company) 8 years ago.

In the 2 extended center centers, drivers hang on to those jobs with a death grip.

Very few issues, rarely a grievance, and a discharge is uncommon.

Just a few years ago, the only concern that came up....

"Why can't I wear my Carhartt's over my Uniform ?"

That's no joke. They did for years.

-Bug-

Dr.Brownz

I feel ya. I have 5-6 friends who drive (one is a combo guy)...I have heard stories and seen the pain on their faces, heard of the sleepless nights and heard about heated arguments with double-parked mail truck drivers. I have heard my friend describe in detail the pain looking at the inside of his full package car makes him feel at peak, how he remembers a time when he laughed but now...finds no reason to. Their wives describe losing their husbands to a brown buddy*h of a mistress with no soul.

I feel like it is something I have to try for myself. Pray for me.

edit: I'm not mocking you. I have heard all of these things and more, believe me.

Sorry but the bold line made me laugh so gosh darn hard.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have multiple friends working for UPS as drivers in different areas of the country. In my area in the midwest, at all three hubs within 5-25 miles from me, the wait times to drive are roughly 6 months-1.5 years.

Talked to a buddy in Texas who said the time at his hub is the same. In Minnesota, at least according to a friend, it seems to be a similar situation at his hub.

With this prime anecdotal evidence, and lots of posts on here about shorter wait times and being understaffed across the board for this year's peak, does it seem like UPS is growing and driver wait times are shrinking in some areas? When I first looked into UPS about 5 years ago, all of my friends said to expect a 3-5 year wait to drive. Seems shorter in some places now. Just wondering about the factors causing this, if it is indeed happening.
There’s enough armchair wantabee ups employees out there ....no need to jump on the bandwagon.... yes the wait times are coming down in many places....but to be fair the workloads are going up for drivers at the same time... now move along...

building I'm in has five Center in it in the potential new drivers the pool is tiny as hell so they do a lot of hiring off the street now... nobody wants the job... plus the 4-year progression. Doesn't help the case either