PhatPattheRiverRat

There’s enough armchair wantabee ups employees out there ....no need to jump on the bandwagon.... yes the wait times are coming down in many places....but to be fair the workloads are going up for drivers at the same time... now move along...

My heart flutters when I see that brown truck roll by man. Bandwagon? Jesus bub, this is UPS we are talking about, not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Nice Beastie Boys avatar btw, I listened to Paul's Boutique exclusively for a solid year, until my dad "found" the disc and threw it out the window of his car. Bastard.

Killjoys

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
What building was that shooting in? There should be 3 or 4 openings their right? I heard they had excessive overtime too so sounds like plenty of work to go around!
I'm signed up for main st, Olympic, van nuys, San Gabriel, San Fernando, Lancaster, cerritos, and Compton building. 9 and a half years and I'm still waiting for the call to go driving!

PT Car Washer

I don't blame you a bit as far as the "I have to see it for myself" mentality, as I'm roughly the same way. I left a sales manager position to take an opportunity with UPS. Went PT Unload June 15', Became an RTD Nov. 15', then Full-Time Cover Driver Feb 16'. I never minded the actual work itself. But it does get to be pretty stressful and it does put incredible wear on your body. I quit this November for a career that I got my degree in, and I couldn't be happier. It is an office job, but I do still work at UPS on twilight because it's my gym membership that pays me.
Hope that helps.
How did you go from FT back to PT?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My heart flutters when I see that brown truck roll by man. Bandwagon? Jesus bub, this is UPS we are talking about, not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Nice Beastie Boys avatar btw, I listened to Paul's Boutique exclusively for a solid year, until my dad "found" the disc and threw it out the window of his car. Bastard.
I guess if you like the beastie boys you can’t be all that bad... Steelers..lmao

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm signed up for main st, Olympic, van nuys, San Gabriel, San Fernando, Lancaster, cerritos, and Compton building. 9 and a half years and I'm still waiting for the call to go driving!
This amazes me that with all the drivers in the la metro area it still takes this long to go driving...

DOK

I would think the wait would be much shorter in such a population dense area, not to mention a lot of rich people buying stuff.

Dr.Brownz

I would think the wait would be much shorter in such a population dense area, not to mention a lot of rich people buying stuff.

Places where there is population growth are having the biggest booms. Seattle for example is slammed and can't get enough drivers.

Box Ox

I can’t imagine driving is worse than the hard inside preload jobs e.g. unloading or loading trucks

The daily hours, elements (weather/temps), constant diligence, stress, micromanagement and physical mechanics involved in making a few hundred deliveries a day does cumulatively make driving more difficult. I was a preloader, and it was hard for me to see that even when I was running routes as a TCD for half the year.

Preload is no joke physically, but FT driving is a day in/out and year after year comprehensive grind.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
29F29F8D-B87D-44ED-8DB7-33CCC8D5180C.gif
I can’t imagine driving is worse than the hard inside preload jobs e.g. unloading or loading trucks

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I have multiple friends working for UPS as drivers in different areas of the country. In my area in the midwest, at all three hubs within 5-25 miles from me, the wait times to drive are roughly 6 months-1.5 years.

Talked to a buddy in Texas who said the time at his hub is the same. In Minnesota, at least according to a friend, it seems to be a similar situation at his hub.

With this prime anecdotal evidence, and lots of posts on here about shorter wait times and being understaffed across the board for this year's peak, does it seem like UPS is growing and driver wait times are shrinking in some areas? When I first looked into UPS about 5 years ago, all of my friends said to expect a 3-5 year wait to drive. Seems shorter in some places now. Just wondering about the factors causing this, if it is indeed happening.
It’s not a millennial job.