Should a New Employee worry about Possible Strike?

qdg2

There are no guarantees.

I will say this.....I retired vs. even the possibility of a strike. And had bid all my vacation for August and beyond. Figuring it would take 6 weeks to untangle the mess. MOF, I didn't want to do one more peak(Christmas).

You were looking for a job when you found UPS.

Amazon is clearly the future.

Wouldn't surprise me(at all) if Amazon bought UPS....especially if it(UPS) was devastated by a strike. UPS is not anything like it was for my time there.......hard to describe but definitely an uneasy, tense environment.

I would also consider my age and health and skills. Figuring 4 years to full pay and the abysmal working conditions...

If I had it to do all over again(I clocked 42 years).....I wouldn't.

Given the state of America, UPS leadership and Amazon......I wouldn't be surprised about anything.

Don't do it.

Fun fact: UPS used to give surveys to the employees.......They would ask: "Would you recommend UPS as a job?". I never helped my Son-in-Law get a job there. He did anyway.......and has his first warning letter....for something he had no control of....that's why.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If there’s a strike that goes for more than a few days and I was low on the seniority list
I’d start looking for a job
In 1997 it was months before everyone was back driving

qdg2

Honestly, you shouldn't worry. Show up on time daily and get your 30 days in. If we strike, it'll only benefit you after it's said and done.
Ok. No worries. Good attitude.

To be clear: The only outcome of a strike will be beneficial? Interesting.

The strike of 1997 had devastating impacts that still linger today. Accounts we never got back to this day.

MOF, my seniority into feeders took 4 years.......volume.

And he would be low man.......with all that could mean.

Now for a seasoned, seniority employee with a few years in......and could possibly weather a loss of $4-6K......carry on.

Brownwind

As a 22 year old feeder driver I’m worried I might not have a job if we strike tbh
Don’t worry. Trust the process. Notice how the ones who aren’t affected have the loudest voices. We’re only working on the supplemental ones now and haven’t even started on the master contract.
Remember your only hearing information from one’s who have second hand knowledge of a process they know little about.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
You should always have a backup plan.
If something happened with my opportunity to work I’ll go back to hvac.

Thebrownblob

Ok. No worries. Good attitude.

To be clear: The only outcome of a strike will be beneficial? Interesting.

The strike of 1997 had devastating impacts that still linger today. Accounts we never got back to this day.

MOF, my seniority into feeders took 4 years.......volume.

And he would be low man.......with all that could mean.

Now for a seasoned, seniority employee with a few years in......and could possibly weather a loss of $4-6K......carry on.
Must be a Location thing. Without the strike my opportunity to go full-time, would have been even longer not to mention the hundreds of full-time inside jobs.

After the strike volume was slow for about a month and then started picking up I double shifted as a part timer from the end of the strike getting as many hours, as I wanted, until early 2000 when I went driving.

Volume we lost and never got back? Maybe but it must’ve been pretty inconsequential we have grown leaps and bounds over FedEx.

To be clear, a strike is not preferred, nor pleasant. But depending on how negotiations go, it may well be necessary.

DOK

All employees should worry about a strike, who knows how it pans out and what the network looks like after the dust settles. New employees will be off for a while. Us old heads just want to finish out our remaining few years, would prefer no drama.

qdg2

If there’s a strike that goes for more than a few days and I was low on the seniority list
I’d start looking for a job
In 1997 it was months before everyone was back driving
This was my experience. Again, lingering effects to this day It also brought FedEx along for ground.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The 1997 strike also crippled Fedx.
They broadcasted on the media that if someone hadn't already signed up prior to the strike, that they could not handle their volume. They were blown out everyday.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I posted this in another thread but it sounds like it will also go well in this one. Lots of people seems to want to know what a strike might be like.

I went through the 97 strike. Here is how it went from my perspective at our center… About 2 weeks before the strike the public got nervous. The volume went down a bit. The week before the strike customers quit shipping and the volume dropped drastically and the last few days it went down to a trickle. Low seniority people didn’t have any work and routes were cut as management combined routes together. The first days of the strike the employees were having a great time and talking a lot of smack in a party atmosphere. Going into the 2nd week the fun was pretty much over and a few guys crossed the line. As it started to look like this was going to go into the 3rd week a few more guys crossed the line and the party atmosphere had come to an end. After the strike was over the first day back was really strange walking back into the building. Management was pissed and they was going to make it hell for the employees. There was almost no work so there was no pre loaders at all. The Drivers that worked had to unload the trailers and load package cars (No you didn’t load your own car) before going out on a route . The volume took some time to get back up so the ones without much seniority was hit hard. Quite a few people never came back. The tension between management, those that crossed the line and all other employees was thick and this went on for a long time. This was the end of UPS having a somewhat good relationship between management and employees. It was never the same after the strike. Many customers left completely and those that stayed opened up accounts with FedX and split their shipments so they wouldn’t have just 1 option in the future. Many Businesses treated the drivers differently. Even the ones that acted like they was on the drivers side before the strike had a different attitude after they lived through it. It was 23 more years after the strike before I retired yet I still had a customer tell me just before I retired that UPS was never the same company it was before the strike.
A strike might be necessary but I pray for you guys working now that it doesn’t have to get to that. If it does go to a strike I will be right there on the line with the guys at my old center. Good Luck!