Should I stay or should I go?

Box Ox

We don’t get paid way more than our competition. Fedex express drivers make 30+ an hour. Spoke to the express driver on my route. They’ve gotten decent raises every year for the last few years. He’s topped out at 31 and change. We do make way more then ground.

Tack on the first rate healthcare, paid time and pension?

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
We don’t get paid way more than our competition. Fedex express drivers make 30+ an hour. Spoke to the express driver on my route. They’ve gotten decent raises every year for the last few years. He’s topped out at 31 and change. We do make way more then ground.

Good to hear, I thought they were still somewhere in the mid to high 20’s.

FedEx drivers of 20 years are barely making $20 an hour

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Don't compare the hourly wage. The majority of Fedex couriers are not making $30+. Only the most senior ones. I know a guy who is at 19 years and hasn't topped out yet. The pension is much less and insurance costs more and pays less.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Express is not our primary competitor.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

He makes it because he's been there for a long time. My brother-in-law worked at express part of this year drivingand started at $16.30 an hour and only got 3-4 hours a day.

Other people he worked with were quitting because full-time opportunities we're few, and it took forever to make decent money. They got decent raises but it takes forever to top out when you start at $16.30 an hour.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Well, I was reluctant to say...Police Officer. Recruits in the bay area start at $40+/hr after academy. I understand that career has its own set of problems but I'm thinking about job security here.

I glanced over the contract and a highlight of benefits for SFPD, looks like a good opportunity if you ever wanted to be in law enforcement. If you aren't 100% sure about being a cop I personally wouldn't make the change.

I think it said 7 years in you can make $115k on a 40 hour week.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
On the one hand it's not great to make decisions out of desperation, but on the other hand it sounds like you aren't quite ready to make a leap. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Probably your biggest concern if you went the police route would be not making it through the academy. Then you have zero jobs and fewer prospects. I would wait and see how the next negotiations go before deciding to jump ship. I'm guessing waiting another year or two won't make it any more difficult to become a police officer.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
My ups benefits are better than my benefits were when I was a cop...cop in the Bay Area will make more than a ups driver...cop anywhere else in the country won't make as much as a driver for the most part...it's a really crappy time to be a cop right now...no matter what you do everyone will say it was the wrong thing to do. It won't be as physical obviously...but there's a lot of mental stress...not really sure why I'm still rambling lol...I'd stay at UPS if you have that much time in.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My ups benefits are better than my benefits were when I was a cop...cop in the Bay Area will make more than a ups driver...cop anywhere else in the country won't make as much as a driver for the most part...it's a really crappy time to be a cop right now...no matter what you do everyone will say it was the wrong thing to do. It won't be as physical obviously...but there's a lot of mental stress...not really sure why I'm still rambling lol...I'd stay at UPS if you have that much time in.
friend it. Roll damn tide.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Dookie as a cop

Lmao

Make a good movie

“Hands begins your back”

Roll Tide...

Future

Victory Ride
Dookie as a cop

Lmao

Make a good movie

“Hands begins your back”

Roll Tide...
6DA77168-57CA-4B81-ABF6-F44466522944.gif

DOOOOOKIE!!!!

Nolimitz

A new hire at FedEx will top out in 10 years under the new step plan. I have 7 years in and will top out at year 16. I work with a gal that makes the same as me and has 11 yrs in. She will top out after 18 years... You guys make the bucks not us.