Should The Next Contract Address "Scabs?"

I really see this as a problem that's just beginning. I argue with a few I work with because if they're in a RTW state they're saving money from union dues and get all the perks the union members get. (Their mentality)

I really wish the union could force their hand and have two pay scales. Have a union pay rate of 34$/hr or whatever is negotiated on and for none union employees ya know what ups you can pick the wage because that's what a nonunion job would do right? Just look at Walmart. The company says 27$/hr but the union thinks that is just too high why not 24.50$. If only this scenario could actually exist and it goes much further than just pay. Let the scabs represent themselves. I was told when I was hired that this is a union job and I have to join the union. I was ok with that because if I wasn't I could have walked out the same door i just walked in.

I feel like the union is losing its backbone and that needs to change or we'll all be in trouble in another 10 years.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It sounds more like welfare. Let those who pay, take care of the freeloaders.

Ron Carey lives on

I can see them now after a tier 3 intersection accident, probably caused the new orion system, looking for a steward or BA, help me help me! ---- you !!!!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't think most of those that opt out have the foresight to see the benefits they take fur granted are bargained for by the union they refuse to support. On down the road, a weakened union can't save itself if it has to fight without funds to do so. I'd support a loss of their seniority, but I doubt that's possible.
Loss of seniority is really all I'd ask for. But I'd sure be happier with them losing more.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Interesting possibilities here!

If the Union decided to not represent the non-Union-joiners the same as the Union-joiners, the non-Union-joiners could negotiate their own contract with UPS and get $40 an hour but no benefits.
I wonder how many short-sighted non-Union-joiner drivers would take that offer?

bbsam

Staff member

If the Union decided to not represent the non-Union-joiners the same as the Union-joiners, the non-Union-joiners could negotiate their own contract with UPS and get $40 an hour but no benefits.
Would that be the "non union joiners" union?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Sometimes, I don't know if you are serious....

Or, it's completely tongue-in-cheek.

Ah, the benefits of retirement. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

LOL! Now that was hilarious! That you for that. :-)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I wonder if the union could come up with some creative way to allot benefits that would discount for members of its union. If it cost more to not be in the union, then why not join?

UPS4Life

No benefits!?!? That seems pretty stiff but I do see where you are coming in this scenario and I didn't even give that a thought!

Sent using BrownCafe App

satellitedriver

Ok maybe I should have said chime in only with actual suggestions on how to address scabs in the contract and not just political comments that belong in the current evens forum.

I would have been paid $70 an hour, based on my performance and gladly saved and paid for my future.
In the union world, seniority trumps work performance.
When I worked at non-union jobs, I always went to the top pay scale due to my abilities, not time spent having a job.

Inthegame

I would have been paid $70 an hour, based on my performance and gladly saved and paid for my future.
In the union world, seniority trumps work performance.
When I worked at non-union jobs, I always went to the top pay scale due to my abilities, not time spent having a job.
...And you can even get your head through some doorways...

Packmule

It would be more productive to address what members can do to union leaders who lie to us, or in any way shape or form fail to represent members' best interest rather than using us to pad their own wellbeing.

box_beeyotch

Because thanks to the union we have the highest wages and benefits in the industry. Even an anti-union RTW stooge can do the math.

Yeah true but then there is no reason not to pay your dues to the organization that made that possible. It's the right thing to do.

iruhnman630

What's to stop the company from paying rtwers more?

Take away the union, and compensation is strictly between the employee and the employer.