Should UPS drivers be allowed to have beards?

Should drivers be allowed to have beards?

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
Re: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/have-you-been-discriminated.73946/

Has anyone seen the last Teamster magazine? There are three UPS Freight drivers pictured, and they all have goatees. I imagine this will change, but...

Why can't drivers have beards? Is UPS saying that people with beards are stupid, or less professional?

A long time ago, when UPS first started operating in Spain by buying some trucking company there, a lot of that companies people quit when ordered to shave off their beards. (I guess beards are big there).

Please discuss.

BCFan

Now I think only the guys should have beards not the females:wink: ,so all you hairy female keep on with electrolis:thumbup1: :thumbup1: BC

Box_Junkie

YES, this rule annoys the smile* outta me! I don't understand why it matters if its neatly trimmed and doesn't have any goofy designs shaved into it. Times have changed UPS is still stuck in the early 20th century.:closedeye

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not the ZZ top version, but I think guys with neatly trimmed beards look great, most of the guys have them by the end of the day anyway, so maybe since you cant have a beard, they should add a beard trim break to our next contract for anything after 8 hrs, so you can freshen up, and get that smooth as a babies butt face back.

beentheredonethat

As the poll indicated should we allow a neatly trimmed beard, or maybe just a goatee. The problem I see is that a majority of the people will keep a good looking professional appearance. Others will have it not look professional at all and then we'll get into either having unprofessional looking service providers or UPS will become the beard police which they don't want. I've seen drivers in some centers wear their shorts on days it is incredibly cold and the weather forecasters are warning people of frostbite. It used to be no UPS driver (at least up in the North, could wear shorts) Now that shorts are allowed, we get the problem of people wearing them and looking unprofessional due to the weather outside. Why allow this, when some people ruin it for others. It's a lot easier just to keep the rule at no beards.

over9five

Staff member
"..or UPS will become the beard police which they don't want."

Why not? They're the police of everything else. Hair, uniforms, hats, tatoos, shoes, socks, the list goes forever. That's exactly what UPS does. They are control freaks.

I realize that image is important. But to spend so much effort on image on one hand, and then screw your customers with their delivery times (thanks edd) with the other hand.... well, you get my point.

SmithBarney

First thing all of our retirees do is grow facial hair... the last 4 that have come back to visit had goatees beards etc...

musta been rough to work last 25-30 years and miss all the trends, like
the big goatee trend of the mid 90's

browniehound

"I realize that image is important. But to spend so much effort on image on one hand, and then screw your customers with their delivery times (thanks edd) with the other hand.... well, you get my point."

Over, I definitely get your point, but I think UPS has the right to the no beard policy. As we've heard before, its their company. As with anything, if beards were allowed, there would be someone would would not trim his(or hers:w00t: ) for years and scare all the little kids and house wives on his route.

I imagine though if you really wanted to fight it you could say you are muslim and its an important part of your religion to wear one?

What I don't understand is the no beards but you can have a tatoo that starts on the side of your head and runs down the side of your neck all the way to your leg?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have the right to wear mustaches, that should be enough. I got tired of trimming mine for thirty years, so I shaved it off a couple of years ago.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
I knew when I went to work for UPS that you had to have your hair neat and there were guidelines for mustouches and no beards---I accepted this. I would love to have a handlebar mustouche---but understand that it is against the UPS guidelines.

Why is it that once people get hired on they want to change everything---I knew that UPS expected me to work hard----and it was a very physical and mentally challenging job---but the pay was good and the benefits even better. I also knew that there would be long hours--might even have to work through lunch if you want to get off early--you work until you get done---I accepted that. I hear drivers complain about over 9.5-----poor working conditions--need a shower in the locker room----maybe a small refrig in the package car--air conditioning because it gets too hot??

Our competition doesn't have a lot of rules---want to wear a beard---t shirt with Metallica on it want to work shorter hours, but don't mind getting paid less, or getting worse benefits-----maybe some should go seek out other employers-------of course those employers may not be in business in 5 years!

LeddySS98

I agree with the last post 100%... all the rules were there when you started, so why cry now...

If having a beard is SOOOOO important, AND you want to work for UPS, just bulk up your vacation take 8 weeks straight vacation time, grow your beard, get it out of your system, and then shave it off at the end of your vacation time, and go back to work and then go another two years and save up more vacation time.
Repeat as necassary::w00t:

over9five

Staff member
"What I don't understand is the no beards but you can have a tatoo that starts on the side of your head and runs down the side of your neck all the way to your leg?"

LOL! Yeah, thats a good way to scare those kids and housewives!

And I agree with BTDT that the idiots who wear shorts when it's 25 degrees look very unprofessional (ok, they look stupid).

Leftinbuilding

Talked to a freight guy this week. He has a small goatee. He said the guys that had beards when UPS bought them can keep em. New hires? No beards. We have a feeder driver who comes to our bldg who has a full beard. He is Muslim. Even lays his little blanket on ground next to rig and says his prayers.

diadlover

I just want my package I don't care how you look when you bring it to me. I am not sure I'd like my guy any more or less with a beard.

-beard envy.

(you see what I just did there, Aspen? I just implied that you wish you had a beard. Pretty clever, eh??)

Last edited: