SHOULD UPS PROVIDE TOILET PAPER

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Why would anyone need to take a case of bottled water (24 16oz bottles) EVERY DAY? Are they really drinking 384 ozs of water EVERY DAY or is some of that water being consumed while off the clock? When I was still working, our center would also put cases of bottled water on a pallet for the drivers to take as needed. I would take one case PER WEEK, bring it home and put 3-4 in to the freezer to be taken to work the following day. Did I consume some of that water off the clock? Of course but I tried my best to ensure the bulk of it was used as intended. Abusing the gesture by taking a case EVERY DAY is why the company is hesitant to do things like this and may force another driver to go without.
Should the company provide us with water? Absolutely but in our center the water is not just for drivers, it’s for preload and local sort as well. We’ve had the conversation of people taking cases and it’s been dealt with but the preload are the main ones taking cases without people looking. I might grab a few bottles if need be but I don’t rely on it because I bring my own gallon jug refilled everyday and fill my water bottle up. As should others do the same imo. It’s just easier.
image.jpg

Faceplanted

People should wear masks to protect themselves, but I want UPS to provide 55 degree water to protect me.
I bet your one of the cux still wearing a mask increasing your risk for bacterial pneumonia…. The reason the majority of deaths happened in the Spanish flu pandemic. BACTERIAL, not viral pneumonia.

Amazing how is conspiracy theorists were correct about the vaxes enh. NO REFUNDS.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I hate to make a point that will ignite a political bomb but…….
I cannot help but point out the irony (irony maybe isn’t quite strong enough a word) that you two want UPS to conform to a federal agencies guideline on safety and drinking water, yet when another federal agency issued guidelines on mask usage, you both spewed venom that they aren’t allowed to enforce that? Without delving into the political BS, why would you want a company to enforce safety only as you see fit? That only fits your viewpoint? You two are passionate union members and often make good points, but you’re extremism is where you lose credibility.

I totally understand how you could see the two stances as contradictory. But It's an oversimplified view of the situation that allows one to come to that conclusion. It would probably take a very long post to explain things, and I don't know if you are interested in that. I'll try to give a short answer though. Probably the most important part of the answer is in bold:

1) water is clearly necessary for life, masks clearly don't work for the stated purpose. That was clear before pandemic and was only politicized after the fact with fake claims, completely unsupported by any science, that they do. To reiterate, water true, mask lie.

2) I'm no fan of regulatory agencies, as explained in another thread where I discussed with @Bastiatian about their constitutionality, because they have morphed into a violation of separation of powers. I think it's sad that OSHA needs to exist, since it's clear employers wouldn't even pretend to care about safety at all if it weren't for the threat of regulatory enforcement.

3) and to answer your question "why would you want a company to enforce safety only as you see fit? That only fits your viewpoint?" I don't want the company to enforce safety at all. I want them to provide a safe and healthy workplace inasmuch as they can. Meaning I don't want companies intentionally or negligently trying to force people to work in hazardous conditions by threatening people's jobs for ensuring their own safety. It's UPS's policy that "I am the person most responsible for my safety". That's all I want, for them to let me do the job in the manner I find safest as it suits my individual needs. Instead, they fire people for buying a drink when they are thirsty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

$43 an hour is embarrassing, the McDonald’s manager makes that.
The Mexican up on the roof is making $200 an hour

✊🧔‍♂️
At the time it was $5/hr over UPS top rate and was in addition to my pension.

I was planning on going back to H&R Block for a third season at $13.20/hr. When one of former sups texted me about this opportunity, I jumped at it. I "worked" two days a week and made more than I would have made had I worked 60-80 hours at Block plus I was doing something that I enjoyed.

I did find the crop of newbies to be rather unimpressive; yes, there were a few standouts but, for the most part, the bar has definitely been lowered. We had one girl who needed to take two mental health breaks during the Clarksville simulated delivery village, which consisted of 5 delivery stops, two pickups and a back. Sad.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I hate to make a point that will ignite a political bomb but…….
I cannot help but point out the irony (irony maybe isn’t quite strong enough a word) that you two want UPS to conform to a federal agencies guideline on safety and drinking water, yet when another federal agency issued guidelines on mask usage, you both spewed venom that they aren’t allowed to enforce that? Without delving into the political BS, why would you want a company to enforce safety only as you see fit? That only fits your viewpoint? You two are passionate union members and often make good points, but you’re extremism is where you lose credibility.
Big fan of this post. Well said.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Perhaps I would substitute "absolutism" for "extremism".

Freedom is lost, inch by inch, through a series of "reasonable" compromises. If insisting on truth is absolutism, then I guess I'm an absolutist. What does that say about people accepting a little bit of lie? I don't think that makes them moderate or reasonable.