Sick time carryover not allowed?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey there @HBGPreloader , I will give you some info from someone who is actually in your building and doesn't know how OUR supplement of the contract works.

You can NOT carry over sick days at the end of a contract year. After 5/1 you will be paid out for any unused sick or option days.

Read the last two lines I have highlighted in RED

You're welcome

ARTICLE 68 - SICK LEAVE

Refer to Master, Article 34 - UPS Part Time Pension Plan

Effective May 1, 1982, eligible employees shall be entitled to five (5) days sick leave with pay during each contract year.

An employee shall receive eight (8) hours pay for each day he/she is scheduled to work but is unable to report to work. Part time employees will be paid four (4) hours for each day he/she is sched- uled to work but is unable to report for work.

Temporary Cover Drivers will be paid eight (8) hours at current pro- gression rate if employee has worked as Temporary Cover Driver in the preceding fifteen (15) days.

An employee may combine sick days, personal days for a total of five (5) or ten (10) days and schedule additional weeks vacation in their place. This will only be allowed after all contractual vacation bidding. This shall be construed to mean forty (40) hours per week for full time employees and twenty (20) hours per week for part time employees.

Employees may accumulate their unused sick days during the life of this Agreement. In the event that sick days are used, payment shall be at the appropriate rate in effect that each sick day was earned. All accumulated sick days will be paid at the earned rate of pay. An employee may request payment of sick days upon retirement or sep- aration of employment. It is agreed that the conditions listed above will not result in abuse or interference with the Employer’s opera- tion. In the event the Union and Company are unable to reach an agreement under this Article at the expiration of the contract, all employees will be paid their accumulated sick days.

An employee may request payment for all unused personal and sick days any time during the contract year.

An employee shall be paid for any unused personal or sick days at the end of the contract year unless he/she elects to accumulate sick days.

There you go, op.

brown_trousers

Are you guys allowed to donate any of that banked time to a co-worker who is going to be out of work for an extended period of time due to an off the clock injury? That is the one thing that I would like to have added to our contract.

Prison guards do this all time when one of their own is going to be out of work for more than a month.

That would be great! Low wage drivers could give their vacations to top wage drivers and then split the proceeds.

HBGPreloader

Hey there @HBGPreloader , I will give you some info from someone who is actually in your building and doesn't know how OUR supplement of the contract works.

You can NOT carry over sick days at the end of a contract year. After 5/1 you will be paid out for any unused sick or option days.

Read the last two lines I have highlighted in RED

You're welcome

ARTICLE 68 - SICK LEAVE

Refer to Master, Article 34 - UPS Part Time Pension Plan

Effective May 1, 1982, eligible employees shall be entitled to five (5) days sick leave with pay during each contract year.

An employee shall receive eight (8) hours pay for each day he/she is scheduled to work but is unable to report to work. Part time employees will be paid four (4) hours for each day he/she is sched- uled to work but is unable to report for work.

Temporary Cover Drivers will be paid eight (8) hours at current pro- gression rate if employee has worked as Temporary Cover Driver in the preceding fifteen (15) days.

An employee may combine sick days, personal days for a total of five (5) or ten (10) days and schedule additional weeks vacation in their place. This will only be allowed after all contractual vacation bidding. This shall be construed to mean forty (40) hours per week for full time employees and twenty (20) hours per week for part time employees.

Employees may accumulate their unused sick days during the life of this Agreement. In the event that sick days are used, payment shall be at the appropriate rate in effect that each sick day was earned. All accumulated sick days will be paid at the earned rate of pay. An employee may request payment of sick days upon retirement or sep- aration of employment. It is agreed that the conditions listed above will not result in abuse or interference with the Employer’s opera- tion. In the event the Union and Company are unable to reach an agreement under this Article at the expiration of the contract, all employees will be paid their accumulated sick days.

An employee may request payment for all unused personal and sick days any time during the contract year.

An employee shall be paid for any unused personal or sick days at the end of the contract year unless he/she elects to accumulate sick days.

You're welcome for what?
I read the contract and know what it says.
However, I was told by management, and now our business agent, that I am not allowed to accumulate sick days must use them by the end of the month or take the payout.
After speaking with our BA, apparently, management has chosen to enforce this part of the contract...
"Employees may accumulate their unused sick days during the life of this Agreement."
...and, since this is the last year under the current contract, the BA said there's not anything I can do about it.
The only other thing the BA noted is if I take 3 or more days off in a row, I need a Dr's note to return - which I don't recall seeing anywhere in the contract.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You're welcome for what?
I read the contract and know what it says.
However, I was told by management, and now our business agent, that I am not allowed to accumulate sick days must use them by the end of the month or take the payout.
After speaking with our BA, apparently, management has chosen to enforce this part of the contract...
"Employees may accumulate their unused sick days during the life of this Agreement."
...and, since this is the last year under the current contract, the BA said there's not anything I can do about it.
The only other thing the BA noted is if I take 3 or more days off in a row, I need a Dr's note to return - which I don't recall seeing anywhere in the contract.

If you knew what it said then you wouldn't have any questions.

Option/personal days can never be accumulated and are always paid out if not used every May 1.
Sick/other days can be accumulated year after year UNLESS it is a contract year, which this is. So come May 1 if you have any unused sick/other days they will be paid out.
It has always been this way and your BA (assuming you mean Dave) is correct, there is nothing you can do about it

Also to note, if you are in the habit of hoarding sick days, when they do get paid out they will get paid out at the rate when you earned them. So if you get paid out in 2018 for days you earned in 2015 you will get paid out at the 2015 rate.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you knew what it said then you wouldn't have any questions.

Option/personal days can never be accumulated and are always paid out if not used every May 1.
Sick/other days can be accumulated year after year UNLESS it is a contract year, which this is. So come May 1 if you have any unused sick/other days they will be paid out.
It has always been this way and your BA (assuming you mean Dave) is correct, there is nothing you can do about it

Also to note, if you are in the habit of hoarding sick days, when they do get paid out they will get paid out at the rate when you earned them. So if you get paid out in 2018 for days you earned in 2015 you will get paid out at the 2015 rate.

Isn't (wasn't) there a limit in the Central PA supplement as to how many sick days you can bank?

I always used all of mine.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Isn't (wasn't) there a limit in the Central PA supplement as to how many sick days you can bank?

I always used all of mine.

I don't recall the limit but I don't know that they do that anymore.
And when I was in package car I used all mine as well. Now here I am in feeders and have 3 personal days and a sick day left and there's only 3 weeks left. I'll take the cash this time. Of course it will make up for a 3 day suspension I had a couple months ago, sooooo......... :o

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I misread the previous posts. Your sup is correct in that you are not allowed to carry over unused sick days during the last year of a contract.

I normally run out of year long before I run out of days but I have been able to save two personal and two sick days which I will use before I take my 6 weeks of vacation prior to retiring.

Maplewood

Save them. Contract year doesn't end til 7-31. Use them for strike fund.
Our sick leave in the NW doesn't cash out unless we have 500 hours already in our bank.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our sick leave in the NW doesn't cash out unless we have 500 hours already in our bank.

You are out of your cotton pickin' mind if you ever think UPS will let us strike again. The last strike was in 1997 as a private company. As a publicly traded company they have WAAAAYYYY too much to lose and wouldn't let it occur.

brown_trousers

Im curious, what happens if a person calls out sick or injured just before a strike. Are there special rules for this? Or is this just an easy way to keep the paychecks coming in while on strike?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Im curious, what happens if a person calls out sick or injured just before a strike. Are there special rules for this? Or is this just an easy way to keep the paychecks coming in while on strike?

Call in sick would be a short term fix.

"Injuring" yourself would be the best way to ensure that you keep getting paid while we are on strike.

(Psst......there ain't gonna be no strike)

DOK

Talk to your steward and/or BA. Contracts expiring has nothing to do with carrying over sick time.
Hey Gang,
I have some unused sick time that I planned on carrying over into the new contract year.
However, I was informed by management(?) that we cannot do this at this time because we are at the end of the current contract.
My local (Central PA) hasn't opened yet and I didn't see the local steward this morning to ask him.
So, is this required?
The local supplement says I can request to accumulate sick time and it doesn't say anything about being forced to use them when the contract is expiring.

Cheers!

Some supplements they get paid out at the end of the contract.

DOK

Hey Gang,
I have some unused sick time that I planned on carrying over into the new contract year.
However, I was informed by management(?) that we cannot do this at this time because we are at the end of the current contract.
My local (Central PA) hasn't opened yet and I didn't see the local steward this morning to ask him.
So, is this required?
The local supplement says I can request to accumulate sick time and it doesn't say anything about being forced to use them when the contract is expiring.

Cheers!

Some supplements they get paid out at the end of the contract.

DOK

Hey Gang,
So, is this required?

Cheers!

From Teamsters.org, central Pennsylvania supplement, Article 68-

feeder05

Man you guys should look at your supplements of your contract. I have 484 sick leave hours and get paid off any hours over 480 at my anniversary date