Six Locals Left Fighting It Out

I understand you guys get 8 weeks vacation at 30 years. Wish we could negotiate our local rider off of yours.

Actually if we get the discretionary days we're pushing for it will be 9 weeks and 5 optional days.

For those new to the game the cliffs notes usually goes like this about us.
National: "We're not going to take the crap contract they offer us" "this negotiator sucks" "this negotiator rules" " 705 will honor our struck goods if we walk" " solidarity! Union strong!"

Then they get a contract and gripe over it but are generally relieved its over. Then it's our turn to negotiate our contract
National: " Why are they negotiating they're own contract?" "They should take what we take" "They better not strike because I'm not walking a line for them" "Fhck 705"

And then we work ours out and the last thing we hear is "Why is their contract better than ours?"

If you think I'm joking search back far enough and that's pretty much the jist of it every time.

over9five

Staff member
Actually if we get the discretionary days we're pushing for it will be 9 weeks and 5 optional days.

National: "We're not going to take the crap contract they offer us" "this negotiator sucks" "this negotiator rules" " 705 will honor our struck goods if we walk" " solidarity! Union strong!"

Then they get a contract and gripe over it but are generally relieved its over. Then it's our turn to negotiate our contract
National: " Why are they negotiating they're own contract?" "They should take what we take" "They better not strike because I'm not walking a line for them" "Fhck 705"

And then we work ours out and the last thing we hear is "Why is their contract better than ours?"

If you think I'm joking search back far enough and that's pretty much the jist of it every time.

That's exactly how it happens.

grinandbearit

Yes, Local 804 and 705 are still holding out. Someone mentioned local 89 is apart of that list too.
These local seem to understand one thing that hall didn't seem to understand....The contract expires on the 1st of Aug. What's the rush? So what if amazon is threatening to take its account else where, let UPS deal with that. It probably would've forced them to come up with a better offer.

Without customers you/we wont have a job. The more customers that leave, the less union members we have.

stealstime

Attend meetings about pension plan and always leave with my head spinning. How is it it can make 9% on my 401k, but our local has a hard time making 1%? Givebacks didn't help and bit.

pretender

Is it also true that you receive a check for $1000 per year of service when you retire?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I'm a retired member of local 177. I can tell you that we were a very strong union when I was apart of it. I also learned through my 30+ years with the company that we were the largest local in the US. That may have changed lately, but at one time I believe we had more than 1700 members. The 804 in NYC were the only local that had a larger pension (monthly) than us. 177 is out of North Central NJ.

opie

I'm a retired member of local 177. I can tell you that we were a very strong union when I was apart of it. I also learned through my 30+ years with the company that we were the largest local in the US. That may have changed lately, but at one time I believe we had more than 1700 members. The 804 in NYC were the only local that had a larger pension (monthly) than us. 177 is out of North Central NJ.
I believe Local 177 has over 6,000 members now. They are still one of the few respectable locals out there.

Stratocaster

With the national having a tentative agreement, the locals have the power to hold it from being ratified, shall it be passed by fools who would even vote for it. We need to stick together and kick this sucker down....SEND hall BACK TO THE DAMN TABLE AND COME BACK WITH SOMETHING BETTER

Inthegame

You forgot to mention the benefit of geography L705 and L710 enjoys. Try negotiating your deal in Seattle.

didyousheetit

I believe Local 177 has over 6,000 members now. They are still one of the few respectable locals out there.

I believe 710 is largest with around 12000 members it's illinois except chicago proper, indiana except for indianapolis and davenport iowa

opie

I believe 710 is largest with around 12000 members it's illinois except chicago proper, indiana except for indianapolis and davenport iowa
It may be bigger member wise, but Local 177 likely has more UPSers. Local 177 is mostly UPSers, if not all.

bluehdmc

It may be bigger member wise, but Local 177 likely has more UPSers. Local 177 is mostly UPSers, if not all.

I'd say 177 is about 90% UPSers or better. We also represent a couple of public works dept. not sure what else. I know in NJ the public works depts. get there pension through a state workers plan.

slantnosechevy

If 705 walks do other locals or individuals have the option of walking the line?

Any Teamster can walk their line in support. You just can't carry a strike sign claiming you are on strike as well if you're local signs. If 705 strikes Cach will shut down. 710 definately will honor their pickets. 710 hasn't settled yet either.