Sleeper actual pay difference

quad decade guy

You were able to get hired into automotive at 19 ?

Impressive.

How did you transition into feeders ?

I wasn't aware there was a supplement that allowed that. I'd like to read that.

Change of operations and by local agreement open up lot's of possibilities.

Calling me a liar?

Gosh, you don't know everything?

Btw, I spent 15 years in pkg car prior to feeders (15 yrs).

Anything else BIG NOSY UNION GUY?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The funny thing is though, our tractor mechanic didn't have a CDL so the feeder dept put him through training the same as feeder drivers. 1 week school and 1 week production. Then tested him. LOL.

One building in my Local has a huge shop, and all the mechanics have CDL's.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
You were able to get hired into automotive at 19 ?

Impressive.

How did you transition into feeders ?

I wasn't aware there was a supplement that allowed that. I'd like to read that.

A 19 year old would not be hired as a mechanic, I think the minimum is 21 and the youngest I have seen was 23... that would be about 5 years experience, probably the minimum the company would consider.

He said he was not a mechanic, maybe the IBT shops have a utility mechanic position? It’s basicly a porter for auto shops.. they are not allowed to work on trucks.

All our mechanics would love to get into feeders. Can't happen here.

Feeders is probably the best job in the company, just takes awhile to get there.

Mechanics in my area are IAM.... so there is no "path" to feeders for them.

Yup, IAM here... there is no path, we can leave automotive and go to plant engineering, some guys view that as a easier job.... not so sure it is easier.

The funny thing is though, our tractor mechanic didn't have a CDL so the feeder dept put him through training the same as feeder drivers. 1 week school and 1 week production. Then tested him. LOL.

We have language in our contract that the company will provide training if they need the mechanic to have a CDL

One building in my Local has a huge shop, and all the mechanics have CDL's.

We used to be all CDL, now the bids that will have package fleets don’t have a CDL requirement

quad decade guy

A 19 year old would not be hired as a mechanic, I think the minimum is 21 and the youngest I have seen was 23... that would be about 5 years experience, probably the minimum the company would consider.

He said he was not a mechanic, maybe the IBT shops have a utility mechanic position? It’s basicly a porter for auto shops.. they are not allowed to work on trucks.

Feeders is probably the best job in the company, just takes awhile to get there.

Yup, IAM here... there is no path, we can leave automotive and go to plant engineering, some guys view that as a easier job.... not so sure it is easier.

We have language in our contract that the company will provide training if they need the mechanic to have a CDL

We used to be all CDL, now the bids that will have package fleets don’t have a CDL requirement

Porter? lololol

Lot's of facets to "automotive".

542thruNthru

You are in one badass Local.

You can get hired into automotive at 19 yrs old.... and then....

Dovetail in to pkg car and feeders, on a "change of operations" ???

40 years ago ??

This is legendary.

Who are these kick-ass Union leaders ?

Trying..... to.... hold back..... smart ass.... remark....
giphy-169.gif