Sleeper Perspective

quad decade guy

Just completed a week long sleeper run(first ever for me) in 15 years of feeder.

My thoughts: Like sleeping in a covered wagon. Like riding in a covered wagon.

Loud. Vibration. Bumps big enough to raise you off the bed...Pretty awful.

A five day 24hr. commitment. Enough pay? No. Feeder hours(working overnight)

are hard enough. Sleeper sucks. Sleepers have always intrigued me. Not anymore.

Truckers at truck stops have always looked like greasy zombies. I know why now.

I have been told a good co-driver makes it all worthwhile. I personally call bs.

And yes I know some self-proclaimed drivers have attained Godlike status.

That doesn't make the pot holed roads of New Jersey any better. So, what am I

missing? I'd like to get perspective of veteran or new sleeper folks. Is the extra money

worth it to you? The way I figured it, I worked 120 hours(24x5) and lost most of my Sat.

Help me out.

Johney

Have never done it and never will. I have a hard enough time sleeping in a empty house during the day, couldn't even imagine trying in a moving truck. No thanks. Not even for double the pay.

Just completed a week long sleeper run(first ever for me) in 15 years of feeder.

My thoughts: Like sleeping in a covered wagon. Like riding in a covered wagon.

Loud. Vibration. Bumps big enough to raise you off the bed...Pretty awful.

A five day 24hr. commitment. Enough pay? No. Feeder hours(working overnight)

are hard enough. Sleeper sucks. Sleepers have always intrigued me. Not anymore.

Truckers at truck stops have always looked like greasy zombies. I know why now.

I have been told a good co-driver makes it all worthwhile. I personally call bs.

And yes I know some self-proclaimed drivers have attained Godlike status.

That doesn't make the pot holed roads of New Jersey any better. So, what am I

missing? I'd like to get perspective of veteran or new sleeper folks. Is the extra money

worth it to you? The way I figured it, I worked 120 hours(24x5) and lost most of my Sat.

Help me out.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Zero interest. I don't even like the longer regular runs anymore, plus I like to sleep in my own bed.
I’ve been staying local the last few years unless they need someone to run an extra load down the road. The other guys can have those long hauls.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I’ve been staying local the last few years unless they need someone to run an extra load down the road. The other guys can have those long hauls.
Make a couple pickups, run a few preloads to the outlying centers, clock out and walk out. That's a good day for old jonesy.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Make a couple pickups, run a few preloads to the outlying centers, clock out and walk out. That's a good day for old jonesy.
Back and forward to the railyards in the morning, lunch, then a few CPU’s and I’m done. Doesn’t get any easier.

quad decade guy

Back and forward to the railyards in the morning, lunch, then a few CPU’s and I’m done. Doesn’t get any easier.

Railyards are a butt whooping to me. So are cpu's(pkg car in a feeder), traffic and why are you late

and hurry! I like my one ta turn and done. I'd probably quit if I went back to cpu. That is easy

to me. Less stops, less bs. Around here, most day jobs are cpu unless you are a top hand.

rod

Retired 22 years
Have never done it and never will. I have a hard enough time sleeping in a empty house during the day, couldn't even imagine trying in a moving truck. No thanks. Not even for double the pay.
Damn- I can sleep anywhere. In fact I sleep my best in an empty house.

over9five

Staff member
I have never done it, because I could never trust another person driving while I'm sleeping.
Sure enough, we have one man who had his back broke and is now paralyzed because his co-driver fell asleep swerved to avoid a deer and crashed.
Choose who you decide to put your life into their hands carefully...
You don't know what happened to them before your run.
Did they sleep at all?
Did they fight with their wife?
Do they have problems?

quad decade guy

I have never done it, because I could never trust another person driving while I'm sleeping.
Sure enough, we have one man who had his back broke and is now paralyzed because his co-driver fell asleep swerved to avoid a deer and crashed.
Choose who you decide to put your life into their hands carefully...
You don't know what happened to them before your run.
Did they sleep at all?
Did they fight with their wife?
Do they have problems?

I have heard of several long time teams that have been killed. High senior folks. How can you be sure? You cannot. And You just described most of us.

Johney

God I hate local. My run is 3 hours one way, that's about the limit for me for time in the seat.