Sleeper Team Driver Life HODGKINS

Poop Head

Judge me.
Look at the time in transit maps. They say different
I ordered something wednesday (shipment was processed and ready that day), and its being shipped fedex. They must not have picked it up Wednesday. Got to their hub thursday and is still sitting there..
Its coming from the next state over, and would be here the next day, via ups ground.

Capari1

Sleeper Teams are our highest paying jobs outside of being a pilot. Some like the 3 day runs and 4 day weekends while others like 6k plus runs and will touch both coasts. Average at scale is around 3300-3500 gross per week to each driver. Per diem is 3.5 cents per mile or $35 for every thousand miles you run. Roughly $160 per week tax free in addition to your gross. Some runs are $200k per year. Make no mistake though, you’ll earn it as they’re not going to give it to you.

Many of my coworkers have their trucks set up with every creature comfort. Fridge, microwave, tv and some even have tablets turned sideways mounted to the panel on the dash displaying gps and weather radar.

As with everything, it’s what you make of it.
Hey Brown now,looking for advice, been an o/o 25+ years,always local/regional,looking for something steady with benefits,don’t mind long hours (I’m gready), :),if I join on as teams what can I expect as per pay in a week, and how long would you think it will take me to get into the brown trucks ,that is where I wanna be eventually !.., thx,appreciate any help!

barnyard

KTM rider
Depends on the hub where you hire on. Most major hubs have exhausted their driver list to promote, so are hiring off the street. DO NOT apply for an out state building or smaller building. I have been on the qualified list for 10 years and still work less than 12 weeks a year in feeders. Per the contract, it takes 4 years to get to full scale. If you hire on as a sleeper team and want extra hours, ask to work on days off (as long as you can get your 34 hour reset.) We had a load brought to our building this morning in a sleeper tractor. I asked the driver what leg he was on, he said he was working one of his days off for extra money. One of the guys in my building worked a 6th day this week and I suspect that he will for the rest of the summer.

Anyways, now is the time to hire on if you are wanting to, the key is making sure that you hire on to a hub with a large/growing feeder department.

Capari1

I’m looking at cach, looking at two things,will I Make enough to cover my bills,and how long will I have to be on teams before having the opportunity to go to brown !.....thx for the info!

Capari1

anyone know how much the new guys bring in minimum per week?,,and how long to get enough seniority to go into brown?,,thanks for the info!

GameCockFan

Good question. I don't think that we choose to be slower-----they are simply faster than we are.
I never agree with this guy lol, but he is correct. FedEx shipping lanes are generally faster (for ground) because of their use of contractors. I read a UPS article saying improving this was a priority and one of the reasons for moving packages off the rail.

Mack37

They must be having a tough time filling all those runs, they’ve been hiring off the street over a year for those jobs. Teaming has always been a tough gig to fill.

Astronaut2b

Good morning UPSers,
I've got a few questions about sleeper teams at CACH.
1) Are they part of the package or Freight division?
2) How many miles do sleeper teams drive per week, on average?
3) Could someone take a picture/screenshot of the sleeper team bids at CACH?
4) Does CACH have an extra board, and are new hires placed on it until they get a bid?
If so, does this mean that extra board drivers do not have an assigned truck and are called mostly for sleeper runs?
5) Do sleeper teams usually spend time waiting at terminals for freight to be ready?

Any help, and/or jokes, is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Pretty sure sleepers is a separate classification. You can not switch to hourly without starting over. Make sure you get one of these
jc25-license-plate.gif

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@Capari1 and @Astronaut2b :
  • CACH is small package (not freight).
  • The feeder (tractor-trailer) work is split up between the jurisdiction of 2 different Teamster Locals (#705 & #710).
  • The teams & "road" drivers are 710.
  • The "city/local" & yard work are 705.
  • Off the street hiring is generally into the 710 side.
  • If you want to get hired in to the 705 side, you have to work out an arrangement with management (wink-wink) to somehow first make seniority in a 705 job as a part-time package handler or full-time package car driver (40 working days).
  • As far as pay, once you reach the top pay rate (and otherwise have the seniority to bid on highest paying runs), the 710 side wins out. Otherwise the pensions & benefits are pretty close to each other.
  • The 2 Locals each have their own separate labor contract with the company (separate & distinct from the "National Master UPS" contract, and as far as I know, the neither Local has their contract available online.
  • And the sleeper teams spend very little time waiting for loads.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
So what are my chances of becoming a sleeper driver right off the bat of getting hired through Union off the street, for the feeder position, which I understand is either sleeper or daycab. From what they explained to me its up to the A driver already doing sleeper that is looking for a new co-driver. I have 3 years driving otr team driving sleeper, i heard most sleeper drivers prefer someone with teaming experience. So how would i get in with the white truck driver? How would i find out who's looking for a B teammate? Thank you.
You apply for an open job at Upsjobs.com. almost all open jobs at cach hodgkins il are team driving positions.