Sleeper Team Driver Life HODGKINS

quad decade guy

Half as many packages

You don't think we would get more trucks and drivers? It just doesn't make sense. What is happening when packages are shipped i.e. picked up? Shippers ship and their pkgs are picked up generally every day. You know they are sorted and put in some sort of vehicle(feeder, train etc.) and sent on their way to the destination. Why are we slower(assuming that is true)? Given how obsessed UPS is about efficiency. Why don't we hire fed ex people? A mile is a mile, speed limits are speed limits.

Poop Head

Judge me.
You don't think we would get more trucks and drivers? It just doesn't make sense. What is happening when packages are shipped i.e. picked up? Shippers ship and their pkgs are picked up generally every day. You know they are sorted and put in some sort of vehicle(feeder, train etc.) and sent on their way to the destination. Why are we slower(assuming that is true)? Given how obsessed UPS is about efficiency. Why don't we hire fed ex people? A mile is a mile, speed limits are speed limits.
I was mostly kidding. but my thought was less pkgs, less time spent in hubs/terminals? Also, i dont THINK fedex is faster than us, exept maybe air? I mean, unless you have a ground pkg going coast to coast, its pretty much 2 days to get your stuff. Im impressed how fast things move now

quad decade guy

I was mostly kidding. but my thought was less pkgs, less time spent in hubs/terminals? Also, i dont THINK fedex is faster than us, exept maybe air? I mean, unless you have a ground pkg going coast to coast, its pretty much 2 days to get your stuff. Im impressed how fast things move now

OK. But air? I buy stuff all the time online. But with Amazon you really never know where it's coming from. Some delivery times are impressive and then not. I don't really have a complaint about online commerce.

El Correcto

god is dead
That's not why you get a sleeper run. Well, mostly. I'm sure there are some sort of budding bromances or other. You do it for the MONEY! Some do it for that and to get away from mgt. or home....If you are following the dot rules, you really don't see the other person for more than 8 hours just like in a brown truck. I do sleepers for the money-period. $1000 every week take home. Cash. $52K per year. 2020 Corvette? Anyone?
I take home more than that with my 401k at 25%

El Correcto

god is dead
Also those new mid engine corvettes are pretty cool, they cost 80k+ though, you could probably spend an entire week of your life and still not make the car payment and insurance.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We are slower coast to coast because we use trains all or part of the way with many loads. We pull many Grand Vista loads into Mesquite where they go on a train the rest of the way. It's all done to save $$.

With the economy taking a dump for the foreseeable future I bet the trains beg UPS to slow down the migration of loads to sleeper teams.