SNEAKY PLAN TO TAX YOU PER MILE YOU DRIVE HIDDEN IN INFRASTRUCTURE BILL!

El Correcto

god is dead
Agreed. Rolling coal is a blast. So is motorcycle noise.

But I'm glad we agree the only reason you'd buy them is those feelings.
My route and neighborhood combined I can count the number of Tesla owners on two hands.
The poorer side of my route and hood there is nothing to count. Tesla will not out compete the used combustible engines in my lifetime without immense government subsidies for infrastructure, purchasing the vehicle and regulations to kill the competition.

wilberforce15

My route and neighborhood combined I can count the number of Tesla owners on two hands.
The poorer side of my route and hood there is nothing to count. Tesla will not out compete the used combustible engines in my lifetime without immense government subsidies for infrastructure, purchasing the vehicle and regulations to kill the competition.
I am not responsible for what you do or don't see.

What you see is not representative.

Tesla will outcompete used combustible engines much sooner than you think, in a far more Orwellian fashion than your nightmares involve. They might not even have much reason to sell any cars 5 or 10 years from now. They'd make more money by not selling them at all, and using them as autonomous taxis.

They have solved self-driving. The per-mile cost is less than buying a beater on Craigslist.

El Correcto

god is dead
I am not responsible for what you do or don't see.

What you see is not representative.

Tesla will outcompete used combustible engines much sooner than you think, in a far more Orwellian fashion than your nightmares involve. They might not even have much reason to sell any cars 5 or 10 years from now. They'd make more money by not selling them at all, and using them as autonomous taxis.

They have solved self-driving. The per-mile cost is less than buying a beater on Craigslist.

Self driving level 4 fully autonomous vehicles are a long way off in my opinion.

wilberforce15

Self driving level 4 fully autonomous vehicles are a long way off in my opinion.
They're already there. That article is about FSD, not the Beta, and it's 6 months old, which is an eternity.

They just don't have regulatory approval or any other kind of approval to market it as such. But they have solved the problem.

Their AI has an 18 month streak of no-accidents, now getting a million miles a day with no accidents. They're working out kinks, and it will take a decade for it to go live for everyone. Red tape is serious. But the problem is solved. It's only a matter of time.

And they can operate an autonomous EV for 30 cents a mile or even less, which makes even Craigslist used cars too expensive.

wilberforce15

I'm seriously amused now when people think they can post an article that I haven't seen or answered. At some point, you'd think that folks would stop.

bacha29

All that is true, but EVs are going to largely replace gas over time no matter what government policy is in place.
Twenty years ago only a few cars could do 30MPH Now it's common place. The move to EV's also has eyes on the European car market A large market on a continent that would love nothing more than an affordable EV replacement.

wilberforce15

Twenty years ago only a few cars could do 30MPH Now it's common place. The move to EV's also has eyes on the European car market A large market on a continent that would love nothing more than an affordable EV replacement.

Which is why they're getting a gigafactory on the continent to avoid tariffs.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
How much is a 100kw Tesla battery?
A new Tesla battery for a Model X with a 100kWh battery pack should run over $13,700 if we base our pricing scheme solely on current $137 per kWh estimates. As Tesla almost exclusively uses remanufactured packs, the true price should be slightly lower.

vantexan

What you're not saying in all of this is the working poor will never be able to afford a new electric car. If gas cars are made illegal only the wealthy, at least wealthy enough, will have private cars and the poor will be herded onto public transportation. Or maybe ride electric scooters and bikes.

wilberforce15

Horses in major cities were becoming an environmental disaster.
superman-missed-the-joke.gif

wilberforce15

How much is a 100kw Tesla battery?
A new Tesla battery for a Model X with a 100kWh battery pack should run over $13,700 if we base our pricing scheme solely on current $137 per kWh estimates. As Tesla almost exclusively uses remanufactured packs, the true price should be slightly lower.
That's fine because they never have to be replaced. Thanks for playing.

wilberforce15

So can all the other manufacturers.
No, they can't.

Tesla has the biggest, most advanced presses in the world. Every part has been designed for manufacturing efficiency. The total part count on even something like a heater system is astonishingly low compared to any other manufacturer. You're simply not aware of the current reality. Nobody can build as cheaply as Tesla can. Not even close.

wilberforce15

Let's just look at a heat pump:

Ford parts: 35.
Tesla: 10.

Length of Hoses:

Ford: 18 meters.
Tesla 6 meters.

Fluid:

Ford: 23kg.
Tesla: 9.2kg.

This is just a small glimpse.

Tesla is doing full-body castings, or half-body castings, which was considered stupidly impossible just a few years ago. And they built their own presses, and turned a few hundred pieces and a few hundred welds into one piece. It's like a man against boys.