Somebody's watching me!

Griff

I had at least a 10 hour dispatch today, I guess his revenge was to make my paycheck bigger! I messaged in after my first stop (LOL) saying I would be over 9.5, didn't get any message back.

Could try doing the job and earn yourself a positive report. Na call 911 instead.
Yeah, why don't I try curing world hunger while I'm at it. The last time I was tailed, I didn't purposely ditch them and they said my shoes were dirty. I wear black leather nike running shoes, they had mud on them because it was raining that day.

Last edited:

mittam

Here ya go.... if you see em following you ,ease out your cell phone and call 911 tell police the truth, "I am a UPS driver on route there is a strange vehicle following me I feel like it might pose a danger to me and the general public!!!" Our safety guy (white-real white guy)was tailing a driver thru the "hood" The drug squad pulled him over and searched him and his car as the driver rode by laffing his head off---->BC

Ditto we had driver do the same, best call made on cell while at work

mittam

Typical mindless narrow sighted management response. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed my job once upon a time and power hungry people like you have to think too much and ruin it. What shift do you work? Are you answering on company time? What position do you hold?
I'm actually in the process of getting out right now thank you very much.
News Flash-Happy employees are more productive.

typical mindless narow sighted management, like the manager yesterday whose reply after I sent message in bad rain storm saying wiperS quit won't work, replied "BOTH OF THEM" DUH!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
Typical mindless narrow sighted management response. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed my job once upon a time and power hungry people like you have to think too much and ruin it. What shift do you work? Are you answering on company time? What position do you hold?
I'm actually in the process of getting out right now thank you very much.
News Flash-Happy employees are more productive.

I work 24/7 my friend. And yes the job is a grind and yes it is very demanding which is why you have not opted to apply for a position where you could actually wear ties to work with mickeys face splattered all over it. That said I am not trying to feed you the "quit if you don't like it" line if you really feel that you have a job where UPS is slowly killing you then the question I have to ask is who has you chained to what wall. Whats keeping you here if you really have this bleak negative vision of power hungry people running amok?

If my memory serves me correct you deliver packages for this company at 27 an hour. If so then you have had the opportunity to visit many businesses. You have had the opportunity to meet many people who bust their buts in warehouses , working for thier power hungry boss and making a whole lot less then you?

That does not mean you aren't talented enough to find a good paying job away from UPS. But it should at least put your good fortune in the proper perspective.

tieguy

Banned
I had at least a 10 hour dispatch today, I guess his revenge was to make my paycheck bigger! I messaged in after my first stop (LOL) saying I would be over 9.5, didn't get any message back.

Yeah, why don't I try curing world hunger while I'm at it. The last time I was tailed, I didn't purposely ditch them and they said my shoes were dirty. I wear black leather nike running shoes, they had mud on them because it was raining that day.

And thats a good reason to tie up 911 to play your games with management when a real person with a real emergency may be trying to get an operator on the phone?

Cole

My advice on this subject, especially if you spot them, is to simply do the methods. I get an observation quite a bit. Particularly if an IE genius is in the building, and me as a steward and a member of management are having a disagreement, and the genius witnesses it, he will follow and let you know if you missed a handrail, which I rarley do.

I have always worked as if they are following me all the time, which may make you a bit paranoid, but doing the methods is habit after all these years. Also by our contract, "management has to be properly identified while on duty", so always question who they are, and why they're not identified as management. Usually things like handrails are definatley things we should do as it is very painful to bang your shin or knee etc... So get in the habit of doing things the right way. Use hand rails, come out submarine style.

I especially love it when a member of management tells you to polish your shoes. LOL Yep, we have lost many of accounts due to Fedexn having shinnier shoes. I just wonder if that is a specific title for some of our bloated managers, "shoe shine inspector".

Talk about embarrassing, a few years ago we had a big account, where we had close to a million dollars a week in nda's mostly letters, and ground file boxes. It would take about an hour to get inside their mail room with a hand truck, so we had to wait on Fed Ex or Airborne at the time, now DHL, to finish with their box cart thing that would hold alot of pakages. I kept telling our managers we needed to get those carts up there, but as usual the Einsteins knew better, and we kept looking like a very generic company. Finally I had to embarass the sales guy in front the shipping and receiving people at this company, and they finally got us a cart. If only my shoes were polished!

They also wanted to be picked up at a specific time, I think it was be there by 17:45, and you had little time to make 9.5 and were pushed more often than not to make the air trailor, as they kept adding business stops making it more and more difficult to accomodate them. An account like that we should cater to them, no matter what. That was alot of air to process in just a few minutes.

As far as the wipers, if you didn't/don't feel you can safley drive the vehicle call them and tell them just that, and go right over the sups head, because if you got in an accident, who do you think they will blame? Use your own discretion, it's your life and possibly someone elses.

The company lost that account because of things like that.

I would call it pretty chained once you've been in for such a long time, and have a family to feed. There again, if you don't like working for a company that has a Union, there's others out there that don't. UPS was union before most of us started working there, and will be for many years to come.

Usually if you give respect you get it back, and that goes both ways.

Griff

And thats a good reason to tie up 911 to play your games with management when a real person with a real emergency may be trying to get an operator on the phone?

I've never dialed 911 in my life, let alone on some pissant center manager and district beancounter. Don't know where you're getting this info from?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I work 24/7 my friend. And yes the job is a grind and yes it is very demanding which is why you have not opted to apply for a position where you could actually wear ties to work with mickeys face splattered all over it. That said I am not trying to feed you the "quit if you don't like it" line if you really feel that you have a job where UPS is slowly killing you then the question I have to ask is who has you chained to what wall. Whats keeping you here if you really have this bleak negative vision of power hungry people running amok?

If my memory serves me correct you deliver packages for this company at 27 an hour. If so then you have had the opportunity to visit many businesses. You have had the opportunity to meet many people who bust their buts in warehouses , working for thier power hungry boss and making a whole lot less then you?

That does not mean you aren't talented enough to find a good paying job away from UPS. But it should at least put your good fortune in the proper perspective.

I really hate to admit this......I agree with every statement in this post. I've asked other drivers why they bitch so much. they give me excuses how they are getting screwed over and someone has it out for them. I have reminded a few where the door is and that someone else would be more than willing to come and give relocating packages a shot. I, for one, find myself very fortunate to have the opportunity to work for a company that pays me as much as they do for the amount of work that I am asked to do.

Back on topic though. i would probably call the police if I saw someone following me around, especially since I am in a rural area. We have been instructed to do so recently since there has been a rash of thefts of deliveries by people following drivers.

I was tailed by a safety guys last week. the funny part was that he couldn't find me on my area so he called me to find out where I was so he could follow me for a few stops to make srue I was doing things correctly. I obliged and waited up for him and let him follow me for a few stops.

BCFan

Tie i have read your opionions and views on here and agree with some however.....We as drivers want to protect the company's property first, the customers property second and finally our on sorry asses last...with those factors in place why take chances when we feel like something might be amiss
If mngment has enough time to be sneaking thru the alley they certainaly have enough time to explain to the local fuzz why they are frightening our Teamster Brothers and Sisters, okay? :thumbup1: BC

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
My center management had a PCM about on area observations and what they would be looking for. Last year any time the weather was good and there were no vacations you could almost be sure somebody would be out for a ride doing the safety observation, service check, driver release audit etc..The first driver in the loop might be surprised but every one else would know within minutes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ups is the best job that I have ever had. ups is the worst employer I have ever had. That pretty much sums it up. The sad thing about it is that customers are finally starting to see how pathetic a company ups is. customers have always known how management has treated drivers, but now they are starting to realize that the company of ups really doesnt give a crap about them either. We nickle and dime customers to death. If it wasnt for the drivers relationships with ups, ups might not be around. Dont forget all of the damages in the name of production. I use to think of ups being much like the military, but I was wrong. At least in the military officers have a certain level of respect for the men and women they command. At ups there are only two things that are important, profit and production...period. There are a few in this company that are making it impossible for others, hub, drivers, and management to do a good job. In my opinion it wouldnt take alot to turn things around, but it will never happen. moral absolutely sucks both management and non management.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
btw, just to let everyone know even if you grab the handrail everytime for 30 years, you will still have very bad knees in the future. Im not sure why the handrail is the cureall for everything that can go wrong with you on this job. Its the speed of this job that will beat your body up, so grabbing the handrail is the excuse they make up to make it all better.ask ohsa which company has one of the worst records of safety in this country...anyone have an idea???

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Last year any time the weather was good and there were no vacations you could almost be sure somebody would be out for a ride doing the safety observation, service check, driver release audit etc..

I was on-road before, during and after Denver's blizzards. I saw the center manager on road several times--good weather or not. H*ll, sometime after the blizzards put Denver on its knees, I saw the center manager on-road doing a safety audit on us. I used the safety procedures but the driver didn't use "three-points contact" getting off the car. There were two center manager's in the car, by the way. The one not in charge of our center said, "I couldn't tell which of you was the driver since you," points at driver, "didn't use three points contact!" And folks, the two members of management were driving an SUV. Just because that Chevy Trailblazer may be painted blue and have standard tags, don't assume its not a UPS manager!!!! They're masters of hiding:laugh: :laugh:!! -Rocky

vin

btw, just to let everyone know even if you grab the handrail everytime for 30 years, you will still have very bad knees in the future. Im not sure why the handrail is the cureall for everything that can go wrong with you on this job. Its the speed of this job that will beat your body up, so grabbing the handrail is the excuse they make up to make it all better.ask ohsa which company has one of the worst records of safety in this country...anyone have an idea???
I always thought grabbing the handrail and using "three points of contact" was sot that if you did accidentally slip and fall you could catch yourself and hopefully avoid a sprained ankle, scraped shin, etc.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Which is why we have sups out on the route spying on your safe work methods.
It would help if they observed the drivers As they were driving past looking for more business like they should. If we keep losing business at least they can say we HAD the safest drivers in the world.

over9five

Staff member
"...if you did accidentally slip and fall you could catch yourself..."

Oh my God, I always use it! I was once exiting the car, I think the steps were just wet. Anyhow, both feet went out from under me, like on the second step. I was holding the handrail thankfully, cuz I would have landed HARD on my talbone or back. I know I would have been injured.

Cole

The handrail is to keep us from falling, and it is the easiest thing for them to say you didn't do as well, other than riding with the bulkhead door open.

A few Christmases ago I was delivering right across the street from my own house, and was coming out the truck with a ham for the people, and my diad in one hand, I was holding the hand rail, but the edge of the road was pretty steep and I let go at the point my foot would normally touch the ground.

Everything was in slow motion at that point I saw the ham and my diad go flying, and I twisted my ankle bad. Nobody at my house saw it, which in a way is good as my wife would have laughed liked crazy, even with my ankle messed up.

Anyway, I finally got up and delivered the ham and went back, and boy it was hard to press that clutch, but I managed to get back the bldg, since that was my last stop. Once I got home and took my shoe off my ankle swelled up real fast.

So the moral is make sure you hit solid ground before letting go, and set the packages down before coming out of the vehicle. I learned the hard way.

BCFan

:w00t: in my city we have the resources for enough 911 personnel to handle the work load unlike a certain pkg del co that contantly abuses the TDC language and still cant find their :censored2: with both hands and a MIRROW:wink: :thumbup1: BC

tieguy

Banned
It would help if they observed the drivers As they were driving past looking for more business like they should. If we keep losing business at least they can say we HAD the safest drivers in the world.

comon make up your mind. I really have no problem with that concept. I'll go get the sales leads and you turn in the drivers who are taking safety shortcuts. OK?