Somebody's watching me!

Hangingon

comon make up your mind. I really have no problem with that concept. I'll go get the sales leads and you turn in the drivers who are taking safety shortcuts. OK?

Safety shortcuts? You can't make scratch on most routes now w/o taking shortcuts of one type or another. Our 'best' driver, according to present center mgm't averages 3-4 hours under on routes (they will only put him on residential routes). The drivers have observed his delivery methods. It's to park in the middle of the street, leave his engine on, grab the package from the dashboard and sprint to within 10 feet of the door and throw the package at the porch. He is constantly singled out in PCM's as the model to aspire to by the center manager and they insist he is doing the job correctly and safely. The drivers who get the ride alongs are of course the ones coming over, since they must be doing something wrong.

sendagain

btw, just to let everyone know even if you grab the handrail everytime for 30 years, you will still have very bad knees in the future. Im not sure why the handrail is the cureall for everything that can go wrong with you on this job. Its the speed of this job that will beat your body up, so grabbing the handrail is the excuse they make up to make it all better.ask ohsa which company has one of the worst records of safety in this country...anyone have an idea???

In my first ten years on the job, I went past the handrail so fast, slowing down to grab it was pointless. Concerning management following drivers, it's only a problem for those not doing their job, and by my own observations, there are guys out there who need to be taken to task. I once had to make a late on call air pickup on the route next to mine since the driver was already headed back to the hub. I saw the driver's truck parked in his area as I hustled over to make his pickup. My manager knew the guy was a liar when I appeared at the center before this other guy made it in.

huskres

btw, just to let everyone know even if you grab the handrail everytime for 30 years, you will still have very bad knees in the future. Im not sure why the handrail is the cureall for everything that can go wrong with you on this job. Its the speed of this job that will beat your body up, so grabbing the handrail is the excuse they make up to make it all better.ask ohsa which company has one of the worst records of safety in this country...anyone have an idea???

Cintas? haha...

SmithBarney

I always thought grabbing the handrail and using "three points of contact" was sot that if you did accidentally slip and fall you could catch yourself and hopefully avoid a sprained ankle, scraped shin, etc.

cause the handles are so ergonomic you'll probably hurt your hand while trying to hold on and if you can keep your grip, you'll probably tweak or dislocate your shoulder..
If you actually grab and use the handrail you will have shoulder issues.
when I was new to driving I was constantly "GRABBING" the handrail,
instead of using my legs to lift me 100%
within weeks I had tendonitous(sp) in my shoulder. Do yourself a favor
and just touch the handrail..saved my shoulders.