Something you need to know about healthcare spending accounts

gumbybros

I went on disability for six weeks last year to get physical therapy for my back. This was a first for me. While I was off, I got other appointments out of the way. New glasses, dental work, etc. Between physical therapy and the other stuff, I racked up about $1000,00 in out of pocket expenses I could get reimbursed for through my health care spending account(HSA). However...two weeks AFTER I returned to work, UPS sent me a letter informing me that while I was on disability I was considered an inactive employee and as such cannot use my HSA for any expenses incurred during that period. This is a government regulation, and there is nothing to be done about that, but I am making it my mission to let as many people as possible know about this so it doesn't happen to them, and to get UPS to include info like this in their annual package where we sign up for our flexible benefits. I don't know if UPS does it the same company wide, but there is no mention of this in ANY materials UPS gave me when I signed up for this. Aetna handles our districts HSA for UPS and there is nothing on their web site either. UPS has a responsibility to inform us of all rules and regulations concerning our flexible benefits. It should not be "buyer beware".

pretzel_man

I went on disability for six weeks last year to get physical therapy for my back. This was a first for me. While I was off, I got other appointments out of the way. New glasses, dental work, etc. Between physical therapy and the other stuff, I racked up about $1000,00 in out of pocket expenses I could get reimbursed for through my health care spending account(HSA). However...two weeks AFTER I returned to work, UPS sent me a letter informing me that while I was on disability I was considered an inactive employee and as such cannot use my HSA for any expenses incurred during that period. This is a government regulation, and there is nothing to be done about that, but I am making it my mission to let as many people as possible know about this so it doesn't happen to them, and to get UPS to include info like this in their annual package where we sign up for our flexible benefits. I don't know if UPS does it the same company wide, but there is no mention of this in ANY materials UPS gave me when I signed up for this. Aetna handles our districts HSA for UPS and there is nothing on their web site either. UPS has a responsibility to inform us of all rules and regulations concerning our flexible benefits. It should not be "buyer beware".

Did you file for reimbursement? For me, Aetna handles the account and I submit my reimbursement request to them.

It may be worth a try to see if Aetna lets it go through.

P-Man

gumbybros

UPS's instructions were if I paid the deductions to my HSA that were missed directly to Aetna I could then use my HSA for the time I was off. Aetna said no. Direct payments must be made before you go on disability. (Like I knew ahead of time I was going to be hurt) Once the time off has started it is too late. I'm going to submit some of them anyway. I'll see how much they are paying attention. Also, one of my weeks vacation fell during my vacation, so I had to take that pay in lieu of disability, which is fine. I asked UPS if I was considered an active employee during that week. They're trying to figure that one out.

UPS's instructions were if I paid the deductions to my HSA that were missed directly to Aetna I could then use my HSA for the time I was off. Aetna said no. Direct payments must be made before you go on disability. (Like I knew ahead of time I was going to be hurt) Once the time off has started it is too late. I'm going to submit some of them anyway. I'll see how much they are paying attention. Also, one of my weeks vacation fell during my vacation, so I had to take that pay in lieu of disability, which is fine. I asked UPS if I was considered an active employee during that week. They're trying to figure that one out.
Are you management or hourly? We (the Southern Region) don't have an HSA (that I know of) so I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. Either way this doesn't sound right. If you've been paying into the system all this time, the "inactive employee" shouldn't figure in, IMO.
I do know that if you are on workers comp the company still pays into the benefits on your behalf, if on disability they don't.
Good Luck to you.

tieguy

Banned
Are you management or hourly? We (the Southern Region) don't have an HSA (that I know of) so I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. Either way this doesn't sound right. If you've been paying into the system all this time, the "inactive employee" shouldn't figure in, IMO.
I do know that if you are on workers comp the company still pays into the benefits on your behalf, if on disability they don't.
Good Luck to you.

This one is interestin tex. Here you jumped in to give advice on something you know nothing about? Did ya detect some rudeness rustlers here pard?

This one is interestin tex. Here you jumped in to give advice on something you know nothing about?
Dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, read BEFORE you post. I never gave any advice, I just gave my opinion on what seemed right(as in fair).
Did ya detect some rudeness rustlers here pard?
Well, I knew you wouldn't be far behind me.

The western, cowboy vernacular is really cute, keep it up.

edited to add: In this context cute is use as the same as when your little puppy poops on the carpet.

tieguy

Banned
Dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, read BEFORE you post. I never gave any advice, I just gave my opinion on what seemed right(as in fair). Well, I knew you wouldn't be far behind me.

The western, cowboy vernacular is really cute, keep it up.

edited to add: In this context cute is use as the same as when your little puppy poops on the carpet.

I'm sorry pard it seems I've upset you. You've been following me around and sniping at me for a while now , while I ignored it. Guess you can't take the heat when I start questioning some of your actions in return.:happy-very:

I'm sorry pard it seems I've upset you. You've been following me around and sniping at me for a while now , while I ignored it. Guess you can't take the heat when I start questioning some of your actions in return.:happy-very:
WHUT? I don't have to be upset to call you a Dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, your post opened that can of worms. I can't see how you think I am "snipping" at you. I read one of your posts, if I disagree I say so. Isn't that the nature of message boards?
I have a tendency to give back what is dished out also. In a post or two I merely gave you what you were serving to others. Sounds fair to me. I guess it may seem to you that I "follow" you around, the truth is I read just about every thread on page one of this category so if you post , I'm sure to see it. If I disagree, I'm sure to respond. Because you usually espouse the typical position of UP$ management (which most drivers refer to as BS), it's not likely that I will agree.
I do apologize for calling you a dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, I should have used something else.

I would still like to know, if the HSA is a program for management or is it something done is some of the other regions for hourly.

tieguy

Banned
WHUT? I don't have to be upset to call you a Dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, your post opened that can of worms. I can't see how you think I am "snipping" at you.

not snipping ok.

I read one of your posts, if I disagree I say so. Isn't that the nature of message boards?
I have a tendency to give back what is dished out also. In a post or two I merely gave you what you were serving to others.

Ah ok so now you are snipping.

Sounds fair to me.

I'm sure it does.

I guess it may seem to you that I "follow" you around, the truth is I read just about every thread on page one of this category so if you post , I'm sure to see it. If I disagree, I'm sure to respond. Because you usually espouse the typical position of UP$ management (which most drivers refer to as BS),

Ok so now you admit you don't read my posts? If you did I think it would be pretty clear that I'm far from the typical.

it's not likely that I will agree.

No doubt in my mind.

I do apologize for calling you a dip:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, I should have used something else.

Its ok. I get lug heads like yourself here every now and then. They think someones appointed them to follow me around. I can take it. Specially since I found out a dips___t is considered a higher life form in good old west texas.

I guess it may seem to you that I "follow" you around, the truth is I read just about every thread on page one of this category so if you post , I'm sure to see it. If I disagree, I'm sure to respond. Because you usually espouse the typical position of UP$ management (which most drivers refer to as BS),

Ok so now you admit you don't read my posts? If you did I think it would be pretty clear that I'm far from the typical.

Still having trouble with reading comprehension Tie? Show me where I said or implied that I didn't read your post, especially BEFORE I respond. Well, Tie I guess you just don't read what YOU are typing either, you surely come off as typical 90% of the time.

Its ok. I get lug heads like yourself here every now and then. They think someones appointed them to follow me around. I can take it. Specially since I found out a dips___t is considered a higher life form in good old west texas.

OK, I will type this very slow so you can understand it. I don't "follow" you around. I can hardly avoid you when you keep butting in line.
Oh but once again, you misunderstand what someone has typed. Not a higher life form in West Texas, just higher on the UP$ food chain.

tieguy

Banned
OK, I will type this very slow so you can understand it. I don't "follow" you around. I can hardly avoid you when you keep butting in line.
Oh but once again, you misunderstand what someone has typed. Not a higher life form in West Texas, just higher on the UP$ food chain.

[-]Well shoot then why don't you eat me pard [/-]

Have a nice day.:happy-very:

gumbybros

I'm a Full Time driver In Pa. But it is available to everyone here. When I spoke to an office person that deals with disability cases for the company she said she had just learned about it because the same thing had happend to a woman in her office. It's a good deal if you can deal with the paperwork. Let's say your wife works and you're in the 25% tax bracket. If you put $1000 in to a HSA and USE it, it will save you $325 in taxes (you don't pay social security tax on it either). If you don't use it within the time frame allowed (by March 15 of the following year) Uncle Sam say thanks for the donation and confiscates what is left. I'm getting some very expensive dental work done this year and between my wife and I we are putting $8500 into our HSA. That will be a tax savings of almost $2800. Not too shabby! But imagine if I was on disability when I got the dental work done and didn't learn about the rules till then? I would have had a stroke. People stand to lose a lot of money if they aren't informed of the rules.