Sounding Horn and Warning Letters and the Law

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was hit for this last year, apparently my horn use wasn't showing up enough in my telematics sports statistics. I cited state law and that using the horn was not intended for soliciting customers, but to warn pedestrians and motorists. Yes I did argue and yes, the on-car continued to try to sell the UPS propaganda about horn use every stop no matter what. Did not hear about horn use again, though.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was hit for this last year, apparently my horn use wasn't showing up enough in my telematics sports statistics. I cited state law and that using the horn was not intended for soliciting customers, but to warn pedestrians and motorists. Yes I did argue and yes, the on-car continued to try to sell the UPS propaganda about horn use every stop no matter what. Did not hear about horn use again, though.
That would be a good story if the horn was monitored by telematics. But it isn't.

over9five

Staff member
As someone who DOES sleep in the day, I would call the police if some idiot UPS driver was beeping at every delivery coming down my street.
THINK. You are the driver, not your boss. Don't do stupid stuff just because your boss is stupid....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Beeping the horn at a residential address makes sense. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part it works as intended.

Beeping the horn at a commercial address does not.

a911scanner

I understand the concept, but feel like a fool the 2-7 times a day that I don't have the package for the address when I do honk the horn.

Furthermore, how is it that the sups can find out if you honked the horn when they come to investigate an incident if it isn't on telematics?

moldsporh

Beeping the horn at a residential address makes sense. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part it works as intended.

Beeping the horn at a commercial address does not.

Beeping your horn for a delivery makes no sense at all....sorry. Maybe the customer doesn't want any one on one time with the driver..this may let then think ups requires something from them.

Set the box down and ring and/or knock. Blowing the horn is just another wasted method are quite frankly is annoying.

Beeping your horn to get someone's attention in their car near you does make sense.

Packmule

Drivers in our center are now being observed and warned about any petty offense including not sounding the horn at each and every stop.
Management is also very strict on coming to a complete stop at every stop sign and always reminds us that it is the law to do so.
Since they claim they are very strict in following the law I dug up our state law on the use of Horns.
Seems to me that horns should only be used when necessary, to try to avoid an accident or give warning for safety.
UPS wants us to blow the horn at every stop when we are coming to a stop. This is not for safety at all.....It is to try to alert a home owner to come running out of his house and meet us to save a millisecond or have some very busy business owner on the 2nd floor of a building drop what he is doing and come running down 2 flights of stairs to grab his pkg.
I've been verbally warned that I don't use the horn at every single stop (my supe apparently thinks somehow this practice will get my over allowed under an hour from where it is now at 1.50)
Maybe I should have posted this in the union message forum but am wondering if this letter of our state regulations will help my case about being harassed for this method infraction.
View attachment 69135
You are correct about the law. Problem is, no law enforcement officer is going to care until someone ( like a day sleeper) calls in a complaint. Then you will probably get a warning from the cops. Might be enough to get your local management to back off, but if not subsequent complaints can net you a heafty fine and eventually jail time.
Falls under disturbing the peace laws if I remember right.
Got this information from a relative who is a corporal with our local sheriff department.
Argued this point with my managers, but to date no customer has ever complained to UPS much les law enforcement.

Audi Junkie

I ran some new UPS guy out of here who was barreling in the driveway laying on the horn like it's the end of the world. My home is in a state forest at least a mile from any others. Driveway is about 20ft from my bedroom window, open because of the heat.

I think the guy is some kind of idiot, because instead of honoring my simple request, he got mouthy, called me an :censored2: and sped off....blowing the horn. So, you tell me if that sounds like a normal healthy employee. He's on my property mouthing off? Let me tell you, in PA we do not need the police for summary criminal offences, I could file privately for disorderly conduct, harassment for the language and harassment for blowing the horn after I asked him not to.

For the drivers here who feel embarrassed, yeah...tell your sups how suddenly the public is starting to hate you. My other delivery persons are great, FedEx guy hangs out 15-20 minutes sometimes. Not only does the horn annoy regular people, my dogs go ape:censored2: when ordinarily they would never know if delivery is coming....with their bags of food.

I couldn't think of a less endearing activity a professional driver could engage in. And oh, back at the hub in Pittston PA, Leslie sounds like a real bitch-slave to the corporate logo. Not one bean or brain power, just argument for the sake of argument. She's pretty sensitive too, hung up on me because of my language....lol, all I did was tell the story of what HER driver said.

I am halfway tempted to file a case under UPS Guy, then get a court subpoena for UPS to get the name and go from there. To the other drivers who use their common sense, good for you, that's what you get paid to do, not to sow chaos for mindless rule-orgy compliance.

I also guarantee you my UPS guy would not have the balls to say anything to my face, he waited until his truck was running, lol. Supposedly I won't get getting service here now, which is FINE with me. Because UPS can't control employee criminal behaviour, sure....I'll retrieve my own packages.