Sounds like the Transformation is starting

The Real Jack RyanMI6

What ails UPS?

Leadership: They squandered the firm's most important values and failed to adjust, take bold steps, and act like grownups. Instead of telling Amazon and the likes “NO” and this is how much we will charge, they caved. They turned on their people and now they are laying them off while they need and deserve to exit.

Reliability: Through the past 5 peaks, leadership have failed to plan, adjust and execute. UPS spent billions trying to cater to a lone firm, Amazon, so it can deliver their least profitable packages during the most difficult high visibility time. We are building 100s of buildings and that will not be the solution, only small part of it. In the meantime, millions of other customers suffered average or bad service during peak season while we suck up to Amazon. The stock chart tells the story that every year after peak, UPS stock tumbles.

Forever, UPS has been known for its efficient processes, execution and trustworthiness. Well, during the most transparent time (Christmas, Holidays) when UPS touches and feels its highest number of customers, UPS failed. Furthermore, the conversation changed from what a great Company UPS is to what a great company UPS is BUT you do not deliver when my kids need their Christmas gifts. Highly personal and everlasting impression with UPS customers.

Innovation: UPS continues to milk this cow forever that it is tiring to hear over and over again. Orion, Advanced Tech Group, PFT, My choice etc. Give it up. Even the analysts today did nto want to hear it anymore. Those are great internal measures but they fail to inspire and show boldness and imagination. Same day delivery, hear me out. It is easy. Saturday and Sunday delivery, hear me out, easy. For god sake, if the post office does it, UPS can. Now, they might be losers for a while but the market and today’s customers want these services. UPS is not responding. Same day delivery for business customers can be picked locally and delivered locally. Amazon, Target and Best Buy do not want to be in this business. UPS is forcing them to do it due to lack of imagination and boldness.

Transformation:
UPS does not need transformation. UPS needs solid management that holds the line on adding new people to the payroll. UPS people are awesome and they do not deserve the treatment they are receiving today. Leadership thinks laying people off is inspiring. Guess what, people are feeling lost, dismayed, unappreciated, sick and giving up on you. Leadership lays off one more group and or one more person around Finance, HR, Security, engineering, sales, marketing and IT and these people will kick you where it hurts most, stop caring, working, and delivering. Good luck if you do this again. Move people around and do not cruelly walk people out. UPS was never attractive and you are making it very ugly to hang around. People worked hard, struggles because they are loyal to what they think is a loyal firm. Be careful and or you will be the next SEARS quickly. Turn over is close to 5-6 percent a year due to retirement and or other opportunities. With 35,000 MGMT people, attrition is close to 2500 MGMT people per year. Do not ruin this firm by laying people off. Do not be cruel, LEAD.

I am hopeful but Mr DA is still there and now Mr SP thinks he got it under control, NOT. Let us hope Jim gets the rein or we are all friend...d and UPS is lost for a while....
I agree it is spot on, unfortunately. This is not the place i came to oh so many years ago. As you so expertly point out it could have been. We all hope it will be again someday as well.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It is going to be very interesting to see all the moves that will happen in February as they start to fill the holes that people vacated on short notice to finish up their "forced" six weeks of vacation. The fun is just beginning, it has already started here.

It is going to be very interesting to see all the moves that will happen in February as they start to fill the holes that people vacated on short notice to finish up their "forced" six weeks of vacation. The fun is just beginning, it has already started here.
management is leaving the first day they are eligible to get out of this place.

Glenlake55Wally

management is leaving the first day they are eligible to get out of this place.
I’m not in a hurry to leave, but I don’t know how soon they’ll wise up to me. My specialty is looking busy without doing real work. If you do real work eventually someone will complain about it and attract unwanted attention. No work - no attention. Making everyone think you’re working when you’re not is an art form. Some are just born with the gift. I’ve spent my career working for stupid MoFos who never figured it out. Sooner or later this is bound to change unfortunately.

I’m not in a hurry to leave, but I don’t know how soon they’ll wise up to me. My specialty is looking busy without doing real work. If you do real work eventually someone will complain about it and attract unwanted attention. No work - no attention. Making everyone think you’re working when you’re not is an art form. Some are just born with the gift. I’ve spent my career working for stupid MoFos who never figured it out. Sooner or later this is bound to change unfortunately.
They are just tired of the abuse.

UPSER1987

What has changed? In what way?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Is that what all the people moves on UPS'ers are about? There have been a ton

Anonymous 115

63 Admin positions in CA gone by April. Some to other GBS sites, about 1/3 to Columbia.