Stewards beware!

cachmeifucan

Salty language was once tolerated during closed door meetings by union stewards. In July the NLRB took away that right and now union stewards can be disciplined and discharged for using such language. This is a huge loss for unions because now stewards who are used to using some curse words when heated will have to focus on watching what they say which is way easier said than done. I know I sometimes let a curse word slip out just in everyday conversations with customers. I don't see how if a conversation gets heated in a closed door meeting, a steward can refrain from an accidental curse word or two.

So does that mean that management and labor department are Al's to refrain from such language.

542thruNthru

Your local should have a book of "interps" which are regional JAC decisions. Talk to your BA. If he's reasonably competent and not afraid you're looking to replace him/her, there's hours of very interesting reading available. However, you'll be more confused after reading than before.
It helps if there's good communication between stewards. I always made copies of all grievances and distributed them to each steward in the dept to keep everyone in the loop. It also helps control the steward shopping members do.

This is very interesting to know. Thank you for this.

Inthegame

The peasants aren’t supposed to know they exist
And unlike bylaws, there's no requirement to make interps publicly available. You'll need a BA who has a set and doesn't mind teaching moments. Locals could spend hours on interps at Steward seminars (if they want to keep stewards awake).

But to be fair, only decisions are listed, not full accounts of the JAC presented case, which invariably have many twists and turns. My frustration is ambiguous language that leaves members confused could be clarified at the next contract revision, but mysteriously isn't.

An example from the CRT Supplement... Art 18 has a miscellaneous provision that states specifically..."Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after having completed their full day's work."

The interp from a JAC decision on that provision from the late 1980's limits those "drivers" to Package Car drivers, yet inserting those two words has been beyond the ability of at least 7 CRT negotiating committees.

And of course we've been all around the block on being forced to work on holidays even though provisions exist for not requiring work on holidays.

Makes one wonder if stewards drink more than non stewards?

Superteeth2478

Colorful words?
Did you even read the nlrb ruling?
Sorry bud, I don't think a Steward should be able to call management the N word and keep his job.
The original NLRB interpretation of the equality principle never allowed racial epithets (or extreme profanity and threats of violence, for that matter) in the first place. It's kind of hard to tell just what will be tolerated now, though.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The original NLRB interpretation of the equality principle never allowed racial epithets (or extreme profanity and threats of violence, for that matter) in the first place. It's kind of hard to tell just what will be tolerated now, though.
Robinson raised his voice such that he
became very “agitated and irritated through his yelling at that point.” Stevens said that he asked him to please lower his voice again, and at this point, Robinson leaned over and said, “Yes, Master, sir. Yes, Master, sir.” Stevens testified that, “Chuckee repeatedly hunched over in his chair and repeated the ‘Yes, Master, sir. Is this what you look for Master, sir?’” He described Robinson’s tone as that of a slave speaking to a master. Stevens testified that after the meeting, when he and Sykes walked out onto the work floor, Robinson, who was standing with another employee, repeated, “‘Master, Master, Master’” as they passed by.14 (Tr. 150–154.)

“Hey, did you bring enough KFC for everyone?” and “Hey, anybody smell that? I smell fried chicken and watermelon.”), enfd. 866 friend.3d 885 (8th Cir. 2017);

Airo Die Casting, Inc., 347 NLRB 810, 812 (2006) (finding protected a striker shouting “:censored2: you n*****” to a black security guard);

Pier Sixty, the Board applied this amorphous standard to find that the respondent violated Section 8(a)(3) and (1) by discharging
an employee for posting on Facebook the following attack on a manager and his family: “Bob is such a NASTY MOTHER friend don’t know how to talk to people!!!!!! friend* his mother and his entire friend*ing family!!!!

Superteeth2478

Robinson raised his voice such that he
became very “agitated and irritated through his yelling at that point.” Stevens said that he asked him to please lower his voice again, and at this point, Robinson leaned over and said, “Yes, Master, sir. Yes, Master, sir.” Stevens testified that, “Chuckee repeatedly hunched over in his chair and repeated the ‘Yes, Master, sir. Is this what you look for Master, sir?’” He described Robinson’s tone as that of a slave speaking to a master. Stevens testified that after the meeting, when he and Sykes walked out onto the work floor, Robinson, who was standing with another employee, repeated, “‘Master, Master, Master’” as they passed by.14 (Tr. 150–154.)

“Hey, did you bring enough KFC for everyone?” and “Hey, anybody smell that? I smell fried chicken and watermelon.”), enfd. 866 friend.3d 885 (8th Cir. 2017);

Airo Die Casting, Inc., 347 NLRB 810, 812 (2006) (finding protected a striker shouting “:censored2: you n*****” to a black security guard);

Pier Sixty, the Board applied this amorphous standard to find that the respondent violated Section 8(a)(3) and (1) by discharging
an employee for posting on Facebook the following attack on a manager and his family: “Bob is such a NASTY MOTHER friend don’t know how to talk to people!!!!!! friend* his mother and his entire friend*ing family!!!!
For what it's worth, it's my understanding that Robinson IS a black man. Doesn't make what he did okay, but the Administrative Law Judge agreed with me, and he did lose his protections on the day that occurred.

As far as the KFC comment and the racist remark made to a security guard, those were striking employees, not a union steward in a meeting with management. I've no doubt in my mind that if a union steward made such a comment in a meeting with management they would lose their protections under the old interpretation of the equality principle. I'm not really sure why such language would be tolerated even for strikers, though, as it is clearly violating the old interpretation of the equality principle. But that's not a fault of the language of the equality principle or the old interpretations of it, but poor decision-making on the part of the ALJ that heard the case.

Last edited:

22.34life

If management uses foul language it wont mean anything.i highly doubt this will effect steward\company interactions unless the manager is a bible thumper.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If management uses foul language it wont mean anything.i highly doubt this will effect steward\company interactions unless the manager is a bible thumper.
Unless, of course, the company wants to use the law to discipline the steward. I wonder if it's applicable if the steward punches in an unpaid break while cussing out the supes in the office..