Stranger At Customer Home Steals Packages - Blames UPS

Would you have done the same as this driver/helper ???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Exactly. And on top of that he wanted the Service provider to ring the bell. So his wife could answer the door...and be confronted by a homeless stranger standing there. SMH.

If that happened at my house the least of my concerns would even be the packages. Why did this dude feel comfortable and brazen enough to sit on my porch like that? Do I need a dog? Pro 2nd amendment signage? Monitors for my security camera? The only thing I would have done differently than this driver would be getting a signature (I ALWAYS get sigs when making contact with a customer, although I doubt it would have made a difference here). Instead this guy is in la la land and only seems concerned about not getting his fuzzy new LL Bean sweater in time for Christmas Eve

newarkster

What is next?
A Burglar is in a house, sees UPS pull up, and answers the door.
The Driver gives the person answering the door (lets say) a new big screen TV and goes on their way.
Home Owner gets home, sees they have been Burglarized, plays the security video showing UPS giving the big screen TV to a Burglar.
The Home Owner then goes to the Media complaining UPS should have known the person was a Burglar and should not have given the Burglar the TV?
Where does the insanity/ stupidity end?
That happened at my center, a driver delivered a camcorder to a house while it was being burglarized. The thief said that the package belonged to his aunt that was not home.

bumped

Fair enough, now what about the second half of my sentence?

I deliver in an undesirable area. I get about one follow up a month from someone that signs for their package but disputes the signature as not theirs. Getting a signature is not an open and shut case.

ArcherUTR

I deliver in an undesirable area. I get about one follow up a month from someone that signs for their package but disputes the signature as not theirs. Getting a signature is not an open and shut case.

But it way more absolves you than MCM, right?

Dr.Brownz

Easy convo to have with anyone pulling up to a residence or walking about.

"Are you the resident? What is the name on the package? Are there any other names here?"

"Can you open the door for me?"

"Thank you, please sign here"

Consumes about 10 seconds of my time.

Customer refuses to open door and demands packages and then calls corporate to complain claiming you were rude.

ManInBrown

If you obtain a Sig here on a package that doesn't require one, it's called padding allowance time. It's a BIG NO NO. If you meet customer Man or Women it is MCM or MCW. Under no circumstances are we to obtain a SIG. There rules, I play by em.

cardboard-surfer

The camera was recording audio. That's a violation of federal law. This blueblood jerk should go to jail for recording a third-party conversation without either party's consent. And CNN should be sued for airing the conversation.

Last edited:

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
If you obtain a Sig here on a package that doesn't require one, it's called padding allowance time. It's a BIG NO NO. If you meet customer Man or Women it is MCM or MCW. Under no circumstances are we to obtain a SIG. There rules, I play by em.

I DR at my own discretion, 'nuff said.

Humble Helper

I just saw this video and watched it a couple of times. Why wasn't this guy more worried about his wife? No, I don't think what this delivery guy did was wrong. Not sure how he could have known. What is suspicious when you may not be familiar with the people that live there?

I found after having my car stolen in a suburban area that neighbors watched my car drive away because they people who did it made it look like they belonged on the property, nothing "looked suspicious".

We don't know that this guy was homeless, or what the driver actually had seen. The Driveway ends just after that large hole in the concrete. The deliveries came after that guy was there.

Perspective: The delivery guy and the wife didn't get hurt. Items can be replaced. I see so many people complaining about this, and this is how I respond. Cudos to all of you for all your hard work!

TUT

I just saw this video and watched it a couple of times. Why wasn't this guy more worried about his wife? No, I don't think what this delivery guy did was wrong. Not sure how he could have known. What is suspicious when you may not be familiar with the people that live there?

I found after having my car stolen in a suburban area that neighbors watched my car drive away because they people who did it made it look like they belonged on the property, nothing "looked suspicious".

We don't know that this guy was homeless, or what the driver actually had seen. The Driveway ends just after that large hole in the concrete. The deliveries came after that guy was there.

Perspective: The delivery guy and the wife didn't get hurt. Items can be replaced. I see so many people complaining about this, and this is how I respond. Cudos to all of you for all your hard work!

To add a lot of companies these days have many policies of "do not escalate a situation". In retail there is a lot of known theft that employees know that is happening, but the are told not to interfere in case of an escalated situation which could cost people lives and companies millions. They attempt to have parking lot security handle it outside of the store and they don't really want to get involved either. Everyone wants to go home to their families at the end of day.

I don't know what UPS's policies are, but I take it you are a unarmed driver just trying to deliver a package, each stop a snapshot of time. Perhaps the driver does feel it is a little suspicious, so are they to confront it and then have an escalated situation? That out of nowhere puts the driver in danger, the company liable for possibly a lawsuit/med costs and then a Home owner going on TV (the kicker) and say "You know it's just a package that can be replaced, he should have just left it and said nothing, but no, he had to question the suspicious person who panicked and pulled a gun on the driver, shot him on my property, now I have a lawsuit over that and worse yet after shooting the driver he entered the house where my wife..."

Lots of interesting things in this business lately that if looked at makes the drivers look grossly underpaid. Are you delivering illegal medication? Well to know that you need to first open the box and check (double workforce), be a pharmacist and have some type of industry connection to know who gets what. Are you a law enforcer? When you are delivering alcohol, it states "do not deliver to an intoxicated person", do you carry breathalyzers and are trained in self-defense in the case the drunken recipient turns aggressive? Pro-Driver. Criminal Investigator? Knowing of character and intention on a moments notice to literally hundreds of people per day. Master of gymnastics? To escape a angered unattended dog.

Or the sane thing for this man to do... call the company you bought the product from show/tell them what happened, they'll replace it. At the very least you'll have one of the more interesting Christmas stories to tell and I'm sure the ultimate receiver of the goods will totally understand and await a replacement. But no, go on TV and be an ass. It takes a special person to actually call the news for a "look at me moment". Who sanely does that in a case like this? A call to the local police station to show the video to is about as far as this should go and then re-think your home situation with what just went down, which has nothing to do with a delivery company.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
WRONG.

The company can not have it both ways.

They can not hold us financially liable for Driver Release claims based upon "failure to follow methods" that call for us to use our best judgment on Driver Release stops only to turn around and accuse us of padding allowance when we avoid a Driver Release claim by getting a signature.

The company might be able to make a case for padding allowance if you released a bunch of stops when being supervised and then got a signature at those same stops the next day when not being supervised in order to make yourself look better on the report...but even then it would depend upon the nature of the stops, the type of packages, etc.

Bottom line; if I might be on the hook to pay for it, I decide whether or not to get a signature for it.

UPSGUY72

Your full of it and yes there are procedures you apparently haven't a clue of what they are.