Strike Authorization Vote

cachmeifucan

1996 I could of sworn that 705 and 710 and Louisville are separate from National of those 3 Louisville voted no on the last contract but it was forced on them. Enlighten me if I'm wrong

F

Frankie's Friend

I think people are suspect as when they go to the meetings very little is discussed about the contract negotiations. Nothing about the Butch Lewis Act for the pension fund, nothing about the two tier drivers wages, all about DRIVE - they put out flyers to discuss the strike vote. What issues are going to be discussed? Perhaps if they listed at least 3 of them people might show up to the meeting. It was SRO for the health insurance change over. We are living in a world where most logistics is a nonunion work environment. If anyone can't see that the company is trying to rid the company of the union environment; this will give them the reason to do so! If perhaps the company and union wouldn't be passing favors for themselves this wouldn't be happening. What exactly are the issues that warrant a yes vote to strike? We already lost Black Friday although it is listed as paid day off. Plus others. Sups working, progression, general harassment, shorter hours, bonus for new hires. I don't know but the strike pay isn't going to sustain a lot of the workers. If they are stating they can't keep the pension afloat, then how do we expect to get paid if we do indeed strike? Remember back when the air traffic controllers struck - they LOST their jobs. So being uneasy about this issue is normal. In 97 we had more power but with all the pushbacks with the last contract - I personally don't feel this is going to "scare" them. They aren't going to care if we send a yes vote for strike authorization - it certainly hasn't help those contract negotiations in Louisville - aren't they 4 years working without a new contract?
TLDR

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Just get ready to shed blood. Take a first aid class/CPR whateve. I need willing bodies and people to aid them. We can't just look like greedy monsters. If the company says the hell with the plebesm then the hell with them. Don't give them an inch.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I think people are suspect as when they go to the meetings very little is discussed about the contract negotiations. Nothing about the Butch Lewis Act for the pension fund, nothing about the two tier drivers wages, all about DRIVE - they put out flyers to discuss the strike vote. What issues are going to be discussed? Perhaps if they listed at least 3 of them people might show up to the meeting. It was SRO for the health insurance change over. We are living in a world where most logistics is a nonunion work environment. If anyone can't see that the company is trying to rid the company of the union environment; this will give them the reason to do so! If perhaps the company and union wouldn't be passing favors for themselves this wouldn't be happening. What exactly are the issues that warrant a yes vote to strike? We already lost Black Friday although it is listed as paid day off. Plus others. Sups working, progression, general harassment, shorter hours, bonus for new hires. I don't know but the strike pay isn't going to sustain a lot of the workers. If they are stating they can't keep the pension afloat, then how do we expect to get paid if we do indeed strike? Remember back when the air traffic controllers struck - they LOST their jobs. So being uneasy about this issue is normal. In 97 we had more power but with all the pushbacks with the last contract - I personally don't feel this is going to "scare" them. They aren't going to care if we send a yes vote for strike authorization -

Trust me they are scared to death of a national strike..and it will be on their watch if it happens. Back in l997 the strike was headline news for over two weeks, the rank and file held their ground and never a thought about crossing, or for the company to hire replacement workers. We are a much bigger beast today because of the count and balances of being in a collective bargaining unit. Think of it in the same way as the the Cold War (US and USSR) each had the power to destroy each other, the same scenario applies.

The apathy is real out there, most of what you quoted is so true, but what are we to do if "our back is against the wall". You have to ride the horse that brought you and trust that the International will take the higher road on this one. Strike fund is in place, if and if it happens the money is there to pay the membership, if it happens to be more than two weeks expect the Feds to get involved and start investigating the decision making in corporate. The company has NO leg to stand on this, considering the profit margins over the last 20 years, besides the economy is so strong that replacement workers that are CAPABLE of doing our work are few and far behind in the job marketplace. The Media will have a happy dance, the Unions will have powerpoint and Altanta will have egg over their faces.

So Corporate chose Wisely.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Start checking your mail box boys and girls. The ballots are on their way.

2d2hjee.jpg