Strike in August, what say you?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The pension? who will you be striking against? the teamsters? They are the ones who agreed to take over the pension. Nothing has happened to that pension that the teamsters didnt sign off on. And pensions really are a regional issue, not national.

and if by better working conditions you mean a sliver of improvement at best. then yes I agree. But I can already guarantee that UPS isnt going to budge on the improvements my coworkers and I want. Like honoring all 8 hr requests, and not preloading the walkway of the cargo area of our trucks.

The one the company contibutes to as part of your pay package. Do you think we would even have one if the company still controlled it? Management has lost theirs.

I would love to see walkway language of some sort.

ski or die

Ski or Die
How are you going to split this company up dude? Itll destroy it. Even tho orions hurt alot of our customer relations the US depends on their ups drivers to still get their pkgs delivered and picked up on time. Theyd got rid of the unionized workforce already if they could.
Remember the good days when Mr. Casey ran the show.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
'' It's the economy stupid.''
Wave a bonus in front of a part timer, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a strike scared, inactive, apathetic driver, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a runner gunner, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a driver putting on the ''I'm a union man '' front, you got a yes vote.
I don't know what percentage that leaves, but I'm gonna say a real minority.
" Oh the times they are a changin'..."

Box Ox

Wave a bonus in front of a part timer, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a strike scared, inactive, apathetic driver, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a runner gunner, you got a yes vote.
Wave anything in front of a driver putting on the ''I'm a union man '' front, you got a yes vote.
I don't know what percentage that leaves, but I'm gonna say a real minority.

So would you self-classify as a rare "I'm a Union man" employee that's a no vote?

twoweeled

I am very much of the opinion we will strike in August. I realize my center is but a microcosum of UPS as a whole but this is what I am seeing:

1) WAY too many drivers . 3-6 drivers are given the day off every day. The center is too fat

2) The company refuses to settle grievances. 2013-2016 Local Hearings were held every month and every couple of months we got grievance checks. The current thing for management to do now is to cancel the hearings on the scheduled date and push them off another month while the grievances keep piling up.

3) Alot of extra Management has appeared from Corporate to "assist" our management team

4) After 7 months of negotiating absolutely no movement has been made in the Southern Region Supplement Negotiations

I really think the company is trying to force a strike

1. A strike is needed, but I'm not sure how that'll play out now.

2. Don't put too much credence in locker room talk. People talk real big, till the time comes and all the tails roll up.

3. Grievances not being handled? Well that's been going down hill for many years. Union has little if any power nowadays. That's part of why we need a strike, but the company has grown strong (our own fault for waiting). Should have strike at the last contract. Union didn't want a strike then and they don't want one now! No brag, just fact.

4. The company gets stronger and stronger the more we wait and give in, but at the same time, I think we may have waited too long. I really don't know what to tell you. The company has gained so much momentum, but it's going to continue to gain even more momentum if we don't strike.
what.jpg

twoweeled

No way in Hell can someone off the street do anything close to what we do .

Hope they all have DOT cards and know the DOK
Prior to your new boards being preloaded and leading you around the route, I would have agreed with you. They can replace feeder, but package is another story. But those boards have made it a lot easier for them. That wasn't for your benefit, that's for darn sure.

Last edited:

twoweeled

My opinion is that management feels we are too far in debt,used to certain lifestyles etc and will cross the line
That's on us. Many of us don't want to leave a dollar on the table, but are not looking down the road. We're going to lose a lot more dollars down the road.

twoweeled

You forget one big wild card my friend. This isn't 1997. The shareholders will sell out so fast if they think of any possibility of a strike.
possibly, but I get the feeling, no one thinks we will strike. The company or shareholders have no fear of us going on strike. If that's true, that doesn't bode well for negotiations IMO.

twoweeled

We're not striking. The company is desperate to pound their points in esrly. Heck, i heard on the 1st day of negotiations the company and the union broke for lunch break and the company never came back to the table.
Playing hard ball out of the gate tells me theres no real plan b.
This ones going to be interesting.
just my opinion. odds are fair both sides have a fair idea how this contract is going to end already. They are just trying to figure out what's the least we'll take. They'll float Bologna to us along the way to get us going. Then near the last minute we'll find out we're getting screwed again, but not as bad as we thought. Thanks to the Bologna they were feeding us along the way. Our Union leaders has been using the same playbook for awhile too.