Strike in August, what say you?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I was around before Orion. Hopefully you were too. do you think it would be easier with Orion or without, for a totally new person??

Without...
Force me to learn and not rely on flawed information contained in the diad.
Completely ignore the Orion solution and rarely look at EDD.
I run my route like I always ran my route.
Orion wants me to drive past business and deliver resis.
That is just not going to happen

I watch these new guys coming through the system and see them struggle and it is because they are just being led by the diad. There is no thought processes going on up in their head.

twoweeled

Uh, there was not Fedx Ground yet in 97 dude. Two "strikes" and youre out of the game not 3. I believe in optimism but not in this matter.
Homey! This isn't baseball! Where do you get 3 strike and you're out pertaining to shipping? Admittedly, you and I are just guessing. It's obvious to me, it's always about the pricing. The main people who tell us stuff like you're saying, are UPS and the Union. The Union doesn't want to strike because it cost them money instead of making them money.
Let's say customers won't return.
1. Do you think UPS would let a strike happen?
2. Do you believe UPS will let a strike happen knowing they won't be back?

please don't dodge the questions

twoweeled

Without...
Force me to learn and not rely on flawed information contained in the diad.
Completely ignore the Orion solution and rarely look at EDD.
I run my route like I always ran my route.
Orion wants me to drive past business and deliver resis.
That is just not going to happen

I watch these new guys coming through the system and see them struggle and it is because they are just being led by the diad. There is no thought processes going on up in their head.
How many years were you around prior to Orion? before any DIAD boards?

OrionsBitch

Not...
Uh, there was not Fedx Ground yet in 97 dude. Two "strikes" and youre out of the game not 3. I believe in optimism but not in this matter.
I agree....this isn't 97....technology, demand, customer base, expectation, economy, etc have all changed. The public opinion will not be with UPS if we strike. And customers will immediately jump ship.

F

Frankie's Friend

Homey! This isn't baseball! Where do you get 3 strike and you're out pertaining to shipping? Admittedly, you and I are just guessing. It's obvious to me, it's always about the pricing. The main people who tell us stuff like you're saying, are UPS and the Union. The Union doesn't want to strike because it cost them money instead of making them money.
Let's say customers won't return.
1. Do you think UPS would let a strike happen?
2. Do you believe UPS will let a strike happen knowing they won't be back?

please don't dodge the questions
Funny homey. Ive never dodged questions. I would have bet the co wouldnt have forseen a strike in 97 and they didnt.
1. Do you think the company has the inside track on the outcome?
2. Do you think the company and the union are as far disconnected as in 97?
Please dont dodge the questions. Dude

twoweeled

Funny homey. Ive never dodged questions. I would have bet the co wouldnt have forseen a strike in 97 and they didnt.
1. Do you think the company has the inside track on the outcome?
2. Do you think the company and the union are as far disconnected as in 97?
Please dont dodge the questions. Dude
I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the 97 strike. I'm referring the a possible 2018 strike.
1. If UPS felt customers wouldn't return, do you think UPS would let a strike happen?
My point is, I believe UPS will risk a strike. If the company really felt customers wouldn't return, why would they let a strike happen?

As for your questions.
1. referring to 2018 pos strike. definitie outcome no. A very good idea on how it's going to come out? Yes, a very good idea. I believe the two are working together to get the minimum we will accept, rather than the best we can get.
2. Nope! A definite disconnect in 97 between UPS and Union. The company and the Union were not buddy buddy in 97. They are buddy buddy now.
As direct as i can answer.

twoweeled

I have seen every incarnation of the Diad.
We got orion, EDD and a preload at the same time 1 1/2 years ago. Been a nightmare ever since.
Well then you have a better idea than I do. I have no experience with Orion. I just remember being freakin lost running utility. I remember finding packages from bulk stops you didn't know were even in your car because they were loaded onto the board at that time. Finding addresses when it isn't your route. But you'd have a better idea than I would about that. I have no experience with Orion. Just the stories I hear.

35years

Gravy route
Already seeing management playing nice in my work area. You can tell it is a contract year and they have been told to pretend to care about us.

Already hearing little hints of what might be the huge concession Hoffa and UPS might have in store for us. Likely it is already agreed upon. I have not heard anything concrete, but rather an attitude change by my Local's leadership about weekend work...:angry:

Most contact negotiations you can tell what are the BS proposals that the Union will make a big show about standing firm against. All the while they know it is a BS company proposal that is hyped up to show how the Union leadership "stood firm".

I am not getting that vibe about the rolling 7 day week.:angry:

This would be a HUGE concession!

If this is the concession they want us to swallow, they better be offering huge pension funding increases in return. Something on the order of guaranteed 100% funding of the pensions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Already seeing management playing nice in my work area. You can tell it is a contract year and they have been told to pretend to care about us.

Already hearing little hints of what might be the huge concession Hoffa and UPS might have in store for us. Likely it is already agreed upon. I have not heard anything concrete, but rather an attitude change by my Local's leadership about weekend work...:angry:

Most contact negotiations you can tell what are the BS proposals that the Union will make a big show about standing firm against. All the while they know it is a BS company proposal that is hyped up to show how the Union leadership "stood firm".

This would be a HUGE concession!

If this is the concession they want us to swallow, they better be offering huge pension funding increases in return. Something on the order of guaranteed 100% funding of the pensions.

You make some great points but I disagree on your assessment of a potential 7 day rolling work week, which will become a reality either in 2018 or 2023. It will create thousands of job and allow us to remain competitive.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

This would be a HUGE concession
Just give me (additionally) a 401k match up to 5% and one extra week vacation and I would consider it

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Already hearing little hints of what might be the huge concession Hoffa and UPS might have in store for us.

I wouldn't put to much stock in what you are "hearing".

Even TDU, isn't reporting on anything that isn't already a month old.

The UPS/IBT plan for the Central States members is 98% funded.

As for other plans.... I don't see how that would happen for members still

in multi-employer plans.

-Bug-

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the 97 strike. I'm referring the a possible 2018 strike.
1. If UPS felt customers wouldn't return, do you think UPS would let a strike happen?
My point is, I believe UPS will risk a strike. If the company really felt customers wouldn't return, why would they let a strike happen?

As for your questions.
1. referring to 2018 pos strike. definitie outcome no. A very good idea on how it's going to come out? Yes, a very good idea. I believe the two are working together to get the minimum we will accept, rather than the best we can get.
2. Nope! A definite disconnect in 97 between UPS and Union. The company and the Union were not buddy buddy in 97. They are buddy buddy now.
As direct as i can answer.
Thats what im saying dude. All this $ paid in dues and the ibt cant/wont eben try to enforce or even define surepost violations thst are black n white issues. Weak buddy system.