Strike in August, what say you?

trickpony1

This is one of the reasons unions get a bad rep.

You're getting the cart before the horse.

If employers hadn't been so abusive to workers (coal miners) the need for unions wouldn't be there.

Go to India or South America and ask the kids working in the sweatshops if they would like to be union.

Oh wait...if you mention union in any sweatshop you suddenly disappear...never to be seen again.

F

Frankie's Friend

It is in my southern/RTW state. We might not have a strong local, but we’re not :censored2:ing idiots and don’t forget why we’ve got what we’ve got.
Thats the difference in people who understand collective bargaining and those who are self serving. Theres always a freeloader in the bunch but people will find out who you are when the going gets messy.

F

Frankie's Friend

This is one of the reasons unions get a bad rep. People think of us as thugs that use intimidation to get what we want. "Cross that picket line and we'll break your kneecaps" Attitudes like this only reinforce a bad public image of unions
35years never advocated violence. He just basically said the work environment would not be friendly. You stand on the strike line for 15 days, lose a ton of income as a loyal union member and then see your spineless coworkers cross the line stabbing you in the back and tell me there arent hard feelings later. There are. People will not forget. They become as disrespected as a company snitch.

Delivered

If it is a nation wide strike, yes. I suppose the Union could target a few key facilities like CASH or Worldport to increase the pressure to negotiate seriously.
Any strike or major work slowdown would cause Amazon, Wal-mart, and the likes to suspend any kind of 2day guarantee to prime members, etc. Only providing us with more leverage.

UPS is currently delivering upwards of 20 Million parcels per day. Not sure where it was in 97 but I'm guessing single digits. The other carriers couldn't handle the volume then, sure as hell couldn't handle it now

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any strike or major work slowdown would cause Amazon, Wal-mart, and the likes to suspend any kind of 2day guarantee to prime members, etc. Only providing us with more leverage.

UPS is currently delivering upwards of 20 Million parcels per day. Not sure where it was in 97 but I'm guessing single digits. The other carriers couldn't handle the volume then, sure as hell couldn't handle it now

...which is why Trump would not allow us to strike...

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
...which is why Trump would not allow us to strike...
1905CFF1-751F-48D1-8B1F-596988B34B9E.gif

brown_trousers

35years never advocated violence. He just basically said the work environment would not be friendly. You stand on the strike line for 15 days, lose a ton of income as a loyal union member and then see your spineless coworkers cross the line stabbing you in the back and tell me there arent hard feelings later. There are. People will not forget. They become as disrespected as a company snitch.

There definitely are hard feelings. And unions in the past have acted on those feelings many times giving all unions a bad rep. Even just a few years ago, there was a grain terminal up here in the NW that went on strike, broke down a gate, stormed into a railyard, and destroyed everything in sight until they were arrested.

So even just suggesting that we "wont be friendly" takes on a whole new meaning when spoken from a union context. Im sure the media would love to quote us saying things like that to write articles portraying as thugs and criminals

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would not want to strike and paint a target on our backs while trump and the republicans control congress. I can only imagine the legislation they would conjur up to destroy unions

Good points. I was thinking solely along the lines of impact to the national economy. He would force us to work under the current agreement and have an arbitrator settle the dispute.

Heavy Package

I don't think any rational member wants to strike. I know I don't. With tax cuts and volume and record profits - all noted by UPS - there should be plenty of give and take to go around this year.

But UPS has us boxed in a corner by all accounts. I note the following truths:

1. 70 hr work weeks allowed during peak
2. Proposing no consecutive days off and pushing for Sunday delivery
3. Not coming to the table or countering our proposals
4. Excessive OT and harassment (in many parts of the country)
5. PT pay issues
6. Outsourcing freight, feeder, and package ( with surepost) jobs
7. The way they are treating our airline mechanics contract

The final straw is messing with pension and healthcare this contract. It's time to stand up and strike this year. It will help us hold the line for another 5 years with UPS.