Rat out of a cage
PACKAGE OPERATIONS

2017 revenue $54 billion
2017 global delivery volume 5.1 billion packages and documents
Daily global delivery volume 20 million packages and documents
Daily U.S. air volume 2.9 million packages and documents
Daily international volume 3.1 million packages and documents

Includes e-docs.
Average actual package volume is around 16-17 mil/day as of 2017 numbers.
I don't think that is correct ... pretty sure it's not.
'documents' as denoted here are letters.
UPS breaks down Packages and Documents (letters) is their reporting due to drastically different cost structures.
The extract used by Delivered appears to be be from the SEC 10-k report.

'e-docs' is a secure document service that UPS phased out some years back.
It was called UPS Document Exchange (www.exchange.ups.com) and started in the late 1990's.
FedEx had a similar service called ZapMail.
UPS used NetDox technology for this service.

UPS used Tumbleweed Software technology for another service called UPS Online Courier but it never really took off.
There are still vendors (Axway Inc.) that provide the service ... I get them from my bank on occasion.

UPS still uses a internal developed technology for Managed File Transfer for International shipments and to transfer files in a secure manner within UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We do edoc for international packages, but that is just for the customs documents for the physical packages to get processed faster.

EDI

Yeah FedEx does something similar but they don't count that as separate shipments.

That's because they are not separate shipments but rather take the place of paper customs documents to expedite the shipping process. Packages start clearing customs the moment the shipment has been processed by the shipper.

F

Frankie's Friend

Yeah i think @Sickofit doesn't understand documents are actually parcels.
I don't think that is correct ... pretty sure it's not.
'documents' as denoted here are letters.
UPS breaks down Packages and Documents (letters) is their reporting due to drastically different cost structures.
The extract used by Delivered appears to be be from the SEC 10-k report.

'e-docs' is a secure document service that UPS phased out some years back.
It was called UPS Document Exchange (www.exchange.ups.com) and started in the late 1990's.
FedEx had a similar service called ZapMail.
UPS used NetDox technology for this service.

UPS used Tumbleweed Software technology for another service called UPS Online Courier but it never really took off.
There are still vendors (Axway Inc.) that provide the service ... I get them from my bank on occasion.

UPS still uses a internal developed technology for Managed File Transfer for International shipments and to transfer files in a secure manner within UPS.
No, i understand it. But didnt know it was phased out. The company used to include the e-document transfer totals with the pkg volume count when it was offering the service but listed it as X volume of pkgs and e-documents. Thats why i originally asked if Delivered was sure it was actual pkg volume count because it listed documents.
EDI is not listed as an e-document service. It pertains to actual pkg info.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
You're getting the cart before the horse.

If employers hadn't been so abusive to workers (coal miners) the need for unions wouldn't be there.

Go to India or South America and ask the kids working in the sweatshops if they would like to be union.

Oh wait...if you mention union in any sweatshop you suddenly disappear...never to be seen again.
Or even ask them what an OSHA is.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Was wondering the same thing. Why would anyone pay ups to provide a service they can get for free through gmail?
Companies pay a lot of money for e-docs. My previous job was with an electronic delivery company, we built and sent most of the electronic documents like bank statements, trade confirmations, order confirmations, electronic faxes. Anytime you receive an email regarding a purchase or a statement, it is sent through a 3rd party vendor as it is cheaper to outsource it than have servers, data lines and IT professionals to run it