Strike in Chicago?

over10.5

As a UPS employee and a Teamster I am concered with the lack of information on this subject from both parties. Nothing on teamster web site. ( 705 710 this should be more upsetting too you ) And ups not mentioning this in the pcms. In my area fedex has already sent emails to the majoity of my customers telling them not to ship because we are going on strike on Aug. 1st. What do I tell people on my route? And if it comes down to a strike on friday I need more information than I have been able to find. Feel like we are being left in the dark from both sides.

tieguy

Banned
What do you call 900 more employees showing up for our strike vote last sunday than in 97? I call that being in touch with your members! Keeping them informed! Knowing that your job is to represent us! Sounds like our union is doing a pretty good job at least by the turnout of the infromed members!

I would think you have a lot more members now then you had 11 years ago. What kind of percentage do you have to compare to 97? Cach hub alone has to generating you thousands more then you had back then.

So in 97 it was ok that 99% of upsers disrupting the 1% of upsers in chicago. I never thought twice about supporting you.
Not that I am taking sides in this little argument, just wanting to make a point. 99% of the teamsters vs. 1% constitutes a majority rule, 1% vs. 99% does not.
Of course you didn't think twice about supporting our strike (like you really had a choice anyway) our success aided your, then, upcoming negotiations.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Ok, this maybe a really dumb idea..or stupid point..but oh well. But would the idea of a "majority" of Teamsters supporting a strike versus just the 1% in Chicago everyone is talking about right now perhaps in some way speed up negotiations or maybe send a strong message to UPS?

I guess I still don't understand why there isn't a greater show of support. It seems to me it is in UPS's best interest to avoid a strike, but the more cohesive the union is, the more serious UPS is likely to consider demands.

I don't know...lol..I guess I'm just grasping at straws here :)

J

Jonfrum

Ok, this maybe a really dumb idea..or stupid point..but oh well. But would the idea of a "majority" of Teamsters supporting a strike versus just the 1% in Chicago everyone is talking about right now perhaps in some way speed up negotiations or maybe send a strong message to UPS?

I guess I still don't understand why there isn't a greater show of support. It seems to me it is in UPS's best interest to avoid a strike, but the more cohesive the union is, the more serious UPS is likely to consider demands.

I don't know...lol..I guess I'm just grasping at straws here :)

No you're right. But it really does not matter. The folks that did not show up are probably the members that would vote against the strike. Its better to have less members voting and have a strong strike vote then have all members vote and barely have a yes vote.p

Beat'n Black n Brown

we did have a choice , we did'nt get paid just like you !!!!! we could have sat back like 710 and got paid also, but we did'nt... we followed the other 99%...... i tell you what knowing what i know know from these posts things would have been a whole lot different..........thanks for your lack of support!!!!!!

satellitedriver

Your right we dont care! You not a upser nor a teamster and could really careless about your new department. Just cant get away from ups can you?
Life after brown is more up your alley as this thread pertains to current upsers.
Darn those pesky customers, just trying to get in 705's way.
Who cares if they do not get their packages, as long as 705 gets theirs.
Most of our customers are not Upsers, so why should 705 care about any of them.

swampy1

Chandler im with you! Ups has to take us serious after the vote comes out.

This past tuesday ups cancelled our fifth to last scheduled talks in 705. We must give ups 48 hours notice to pull members of the committee out of work to attend these meetings. So if they want to schedule more meetings over the next week it will hurt operations as their is 26 upsers on the unions committee. Why should we agree to an extension when they had the opportunity to meet but cancelled.

I too would like to thank everyone for their support, there is strength in numbers. We all know ups reads these boards so go ahead people fire away and show ups the support.

26 union members to negotiate a raise??? Good God, no wonder you can't get a contract!!

Shall we take a ride on the the way back machine? I worked for UPS at Chicago for a year and a half, worked in Denver for almost a year and driver helped in both regions. C'mon, Red.....we got along like good friends not so long ago, brother! -Rocky

Lets take another ride back,Pebble. Back to 12/14/2007 when you posted this

"Both your posts threw out rhetoric. I quoted you for your decision to call the APWA supporters 'scabs.' C'mon, Red.....we both know the APWA supporters--though few in number--are still pretty vocal. I think 'scab' is just about the most offensive term for a union worker to be called. Am I wrong? Since I'm no longer a UPS'er, I really don't have a reason to care anymore. But I don't like seeing such low blows. That's all. By the way....I saw some union picketing the other day. I thought to myself.....to cross or not to cross? -Rocky"

Back then you playing this disloyalty crap when the national was being worked out. Now your showing it for the local you actually worked for. You got the nerve to call a Teamster brother. You enjoyed the benefits of a union job and then left for greener pastures you little bloodsucking tick. Now your only concern is when the delivery boy is going to bring your box. Clap your hands and yell "chop chop" maybe he`ll bring it faster.

Mike Hawk

No you're right. But it really does not matter. The folks that did not show up are probably the members that would vote against the strike. Its better to have less members voting and have a strong strike vote then have all members vote and barely have a yes vote.p
One of the disadvantages of anonymous posting, someone can pretend to be you. This pretender is anti-705 and has some issues with capitalization/punctuation, wonder if it's anyone we know.

satellitedriver

One of the disadvantages of anonymous posting, someone can pretend to be you. This pretender is anti-705 and has some issues with capitalization/punctuation, wonder if it's anyone we know.
Good catch,
The user name is also spelled differently, I think.
Jon usually does not use contractions, but I am not sure.

A

Account Manager

Listen here you little management troll, why dont you tell your management negotiating team to get this resolved?

Why does management always want to blame the union for these strike rumors? It takes two parties to get no were in the talks.

So instead of taking this contract serious you would rather come on here and plea your case. After tomorrows vote you will have to take the talks serious!

It does take two parties...but in this case it's three.you want more than the rest of the country! I've got my browns ready!

Nitelite

Our PCM tonight in Mass:

"Apparently the cache hub is going on strike, so a lot of packages are getting diverted all over and we are expecting 30% more volume on each shift (day, twi, night). Each shift will be taking extensions for those that want it. Do not call out tomorrow. I repeat, do not call out. Unless your mother/wife/child is on his/her death bed, you are to be here or face discipline".

Yawn. Go get em guys.

Capt_Matt

ADDIL
Our PCM tonight in Mass:

"Apparently the cache hub is going on strike, so a lot of packages are getting diverted all over and we are expecting 30% more volume on each shift (day, twi, night). Each shift will be taking extensions for those that want it. Do not call out tomorrow. I repeat, do not call out. Unless your mother/wife/child is on his/her death bed, you are to be here or face discipline".

Yawn. Go get em guys.

So it looks like UPS doesn't want the my fellow union members in chicago to work on friday if there isn't a strike after all! I guess i'll have to get my tailgate stuff ready! Plus another reason for fellow union members to go on strike around the area since UPS doesn't want to agree to our terms!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

99% of us agreed to a contract and will be at work today or on their next scheduled shift. 710 appears to have a handshake agreement. 705 appears to be standing alone. 705 needs to resolve this ASAP.

Capt_Matt

ADDIL
99% of us agreed to a contract and will be at work today or on their next scheduled shift. 710 appears to have a handshake agreement. 705 appears to be standing alone. 705 needs to resolve this ASAP.

hey upstatenyupser, I rather have my union fight for better wages here. We had the highest gas prices all year long too! Also i'm tired of my damn bosses working all the damn time and having to file grievances. I would hope we get 10 times pay if a sup or manager works! Addison hub is the worst hub i think there is. I would hope for a dollar rise also and cola! I'm sorry if you union doesn't know how to give a good fight a good contact and had to sign the national agreemnt one. Personally i think it is bad you have to give up your cola and all. Because here in chicago, this area sucks with apartments. 600 bucks for a one bedroom apartment that's hard to earn on a part timer wage! Plus the hours suck too! I hope to get 4 hours a day! Its not my fault that we barely have any volume when today was close to 180K. I heard that on the radio because i had to wear the radio since there wasn't a sup to take care of my sort ilse! I shouldn't have to do a sup job i should just have to sort! So get off the 705 ass for standing up for themselves! :angry:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I don't know if this was brought up.

Did 705/710 union leaders increase your union dues so they can build up a strike fund?
If they did, kiss that money goodbye ! They'll never bring your dues back to the previous level, even if there isn't a strike. :surprised:

tyugar

Sadly, it looks like 705 is the last local without leaders castrated or paid off by Scott Davis.

It's sickening that while the top 5% richest in this country hold 50% of the wealth, the Teamsters union will take it in the rear from UPS this August 1st. Hoffa is blatantly in bed with UPS high-level management (which just shows the credibility of the so-called majority of teamsters due to his re-election). How else could such a weak national be passed with so little debate? Shouldn't our wages at least keep up with inflation rates? Why under any circumstances should any of the language in our contract be weaker than the previous one? Corporate greed.

Us part-timers are like machines to them, oiled up with pennies. This mentality trickles down through the ranks of management, just look at how FT-Sups treat their PT-Sups. They do whatever it takes to cut costs as low as possible, as long as the packages still go from A to B (most of the time).

Anyone who thinks the new contract is fine is probably either a full-timer or management(tieguy), giving them the same selfish mentality that some claim 705 has. Get real folks!

nhguy

CAPT_MATT,

You mentioned that rents are $600.00 a month in your area and that you are struggling to pay your rent on a part time job. I guess you fail to recognize that a part time job is not supposed to pay your rent. It is a PART TIME JOB. Sounds like you need to find a FULL TIME JOB. A great number of UPS employees work two jobs. UPS does not advertise that we have FULL TIME JOBS. The business is not conducive to full time jobs! The operational windows are short spans and don't require the need for people to be here for 8 or 9 hours a day. If your waiting for your opportunity to get a full time package job, then go ahead on strike and you'll set your chances back about 5 years.
You need to wake up to the REAL WORLD!!!

REMEMBER THE BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE LITTLE ONES