Strike in Chicago?

Capt_Matt

ADDIL
Everytime someone posts from Chicago, it's the same thing. Supervisors working. Rules being broken. Feeder drivers staying home while contractors doing work. All that jazz.

When the Berlin Wall came down, did they put it back around 705's area? It doesn't sound like (705) negotiating its own contract is working !! Don't you realize this by now.

Everywhere around this country, we fight the same "fires" as you do. But for some reason, the Chicago area "burns" so hot you can't take it anymore.

MY SOLUTION

New people must be brought in to fix the problems. A strike and/or contract negotiations will not solve anything.

The issue is the people involved at the higher levels of BOTH organizations. Both parties better take a long hard look at themselves before your arrogance ruins it for everybody else in brown.

AND

For all the part timers who bitch and complain about their jobs and their "existance" in the UPS pyramid.

It's not going to change. Every other full timer in this company had to "sell their souls" to make it up the ladder and EARN the right to be full time. When you work part time at UPS, you either go to college or have another part time job. THAT SIMPLE

In this day and age, YOU WILL NOT AFFORD TO LIVE ON JUST PART TIME MONEY FROM UPS. Guess what, neither did I, so I had another part time job after working here. Get with it. Now I've been full time for 8 years and feel good about those 6 1/2 part time years I've worked through.

Stop whining since you decided to take the national agreement! We decided to fight for things instead hoffa bent over and took it up the butt from ups :whiteflag: and you lost a lot of things in your new contract! So stop crying! :sad-very: Remember their is no cry in baseball, wait that isn't it, in UPS!

No :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: Sherlock that you had to fight your way up the ladder at ups. Its how it is in the world! You have to fight for your right to....party wait no that's not the word...get ahead in this world. I been trying to get up on the next step of the ladder for a year now.

Supply and demand...When the part timers dry up at $8.50 an hour then UPS should raise the starting wage.

A

Anonymous Ohio

Contract Update: UPS and Teamsters Local 705

This announcement should then be shared with all employees as soon as possible.

Announcement

We are pleased to announce that UPS and the Teamsters Local 705 reached a handshake agreement on a new five-year contract. The new agreement takes effect on August 1, 2008 and runs through July 31, 2013.

T

To all who care.

Teamsters 705 settled with UPS this morning. No strike! Heard 4$ over 5years, 8th week of vacation after 30 yrs of service,and one more personal day. Also heard no subcontrating at all, got crosstown work back, and 22.3 shifter get option to go full time feeder.

nhguy

Maybe the company wants to close down CACH. This is a good test to see if we can move the volume thru our exsisting buildings. I'm sure the company doesn't like having to negotiate over and over with all these local unions.

It also amazes me how I never get a response when I suggest paying the part timers $15.00 per hour and NO BENEFITS!!!!!!! I'm sure UPS would jump at that offer, they probably would be willing to go as high as $20.00/hr. They'd still save $8.00/ hr.

If you part timers really want a higher wage then go to your Union and tell them you'd be willing to give up all those perks that everyone thinks are free!!

The smoke screen has been there for years, the IBT will never allow you to stop having UPS contributing into the slush fund!!!

REMEMBER THE BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE LITTLE ONES

bellesotico

BOXstar
AND

For all the part timers who bitch and complain about their jobs and their "existance" in the UPS pyramid.

It's not going to change. Every other full timer in this company had to "sell their souls" to make it up the ladder and EARN the right to be full time. When you work part time at UPS, you either go to college or have another part time job. THAT SIMPLE

In this day and age, YOU WILL NOT AFFORD TO LIVE ON JUST PART TIME MONEY FROM UPS. Guess what, neither did I, so I had another part time job after working here. Get with it. Now I've been full time for 8 years and feel good about those 6 1/2 part time years I've worked through.

Heffernan-

Has it ever occurred to you that not all part time employees aspire to go full time? Has it also occurred to you that many part time employees that have serious issues with the rate of pay have second and even third jobs? Has the possibility occurred to you that many part time employees attend college full time as well as work for UPS?
It is real easy to sit where you are and judge but could you exist in MY world? Single mom of two, one in college the other in high school. I'm a full time student myself getting ready to start law school. I might be lucky to get child support from my ex-husband and I've considered picking up an extra job, but I have to pick my son up from school after Lacrosse practice and my evenings are spent cooking dinner, and helping with homework and then finally having a chance to study for myself. If I'm lucky I get to bed by 10 so that I can get a few hours of sleep before start and then time to do it all over again. Yes I realize it's MY choice, but health insurance is a must. I make the sacrifice.
I DID read the NMA and I voted no. It was a bad deal for p/t. No one should have to choose between putting gas into their car or feeding their kids.

Any maroon can figure out that you can't live off of part time pay from UPS. I think the issue is more a matter of hmmmm...the starting pay for preloaders hasn't changed in 10 years...what is wrong with this picture?

Yay for you that you have been full time. Didn't I read a post some place saying you were a p/t sup at one point? I would also just like to point out that the country, economically, was in a lot better shape when you were getting part time pay, that is, if you were getting the kind of part time pay we are talking about here.

The problem I have with you is that I don't think you truly remember where you came from..or perhaps you didn't come from the front lines. FTimers that do know that we work our butts off for not much and it's a struggle out there. Each of our stories is unique and deserves more than what your post gave it.

sx2700

Banned
Nice post Bell, but some people are just hard headed and have blinders on. They don't realize that different people have different circumstances. They want to compare everyone else to themselves because in their mind they are the center of the universe.

tieguy

Banned
I dont have alot of time so i would like to say that i have not read these posts over the last several days. Im not avoidong any questions on purpose and when i get a chance i will reply.

We went to 11pm chicago time tonight with ups with little movement or getting any closer to a handshake. Yes 710 has a handshake with ups but also has an agreement with ups if 705 does any better in anything they to would receive it, this came out of pat flynns mouth yesterday morning when he and several others visited us. Ups was working with 705 and 710 yesterday at the same hotel multi tasking.

Tonight ups proposals included ptime package drivers, air drivers can now pick up grounds, and several other proposals that are just so out of line its uncalled for at this stage in the talks. Ups has implemented on call feeder language that is currently not in our contract, they have 15 drivers out of cach sitting at home while contractors are pulling 100s of trailers in and out per day. We have all the trailer numbers documented because our feeder drivers at cach are doing a great job looking out for one another.

Anyone ever ask about the eft check card? I cannot believe that this passed on the national level.

The last two days the companies top gun opened up with threats against us, today he stated that cach will be laying off 1238 ptimers and another 140 feeder drivers because of the diversion of packages from cach. Ups has a 5 day plan in place with the police departments here on their estimated length of time the strike will last.

This does not sound like a company that plans on bargaining in good faith over the next 24 hours. If ups would have taken this serious from the beggining this all could have been avoided. Now we are fighting for our jobs and this is not about money.Ups has offered us the national raises but is off on the pension that the national received. As you can see we are fighting to stop subcontracting, ptime air drivers doing ftime package work, and ptime package drivers 7 day work weeks the list goes on.

hall from the ibt has been sitting in on our talks since yesterday morning and cannot believe ups's strategy. Ken is not negotiating our contract he is here observing the talks and supporting us in whatever we need.

Hopefully ups gets serious tomorrow so we can settle this or it looks like it will have to be settled from the streets.

Great news on the handshake. It will be interesting to see how this thing went from this report of gloom and doom 11 pm the night before to a handshake the very next morning.

This soap opera is done on time.

Last edited:

bellesotico

BOXstar
Nice post Bell, but some people are just hard headed and have blinders on. They don't realize that different people have different circumstances. They want to compare everyone else to themselves because in their mind they are the center of the universe.

Thanks sx2700-

I don't mean to get all steamed..well..yeah I do :surprised:..but I just can't believe that so many people would get so up at arms over part timers getting a little extra money! I mean my goodness! We are talking about people who handle double and triple if not more of the volume of most in a shorter period of time and get paid half the money to do it. What is the problem with raising the pay just to keep up with the times? What makes a part timer worth half as much?

tieguy

Banned
Thanks sx2700-

I don't mean to get all steamed..well..yeah I do :surprised:..but I just can't believe that so many people would get so up at arms over part timers getting a little extra money! I mean my goodness! We are talking about people who handle double and triple if not more of the volume of most in a shorter period of time and get paid half the money to do it. What is the problem with raising the pay just to keep up with the times? What makes a part timer worth half as much?

This is also one of the most misrepresented issues too. If you listen to some people they will present the part time wage rate as being 8.50 for life. I believe the NMA has the same pay rate increase for part timers that it does for full timers. A seventy cent a year increase for a part timer making 12 bucks an hour is a significant increase percentage wise of six percent when the industry standard is usually around 2 percent.

BigBrownSanta

Teamsters 705 settled with UPS this morning. No strike! Heard 4$ over 5years, 8th week of vacation after 30 yrs of service,and one more personal day. Also heard no subcontrating at all, got crosstown work back, and 22.3 shifter get option to go full time feeder.

All that's nice and everything, but most importantly, were ALL the "will's" changed to "shall"?

Tie,
You were right. The play ended right on cue. No surprise ending. Good call. Ho Ho Ho.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
That’s terrible!

I don’t see why people strike really, work is work. Whatever happens; happens. Deal with it, and yea it stinks and is back breaking labor. There’s a lot of money to be made here, you just have to work hard to get it.

:smart:

U(s)PS Guy

We will walk on Friday no matter what happens Thursday.

Contract Update: UPS and Teamsters Local 705

This announcement should then be shared with all employees as soon as possible.

Announcement

We are pleased to announce that UPS and the Teamsters Local 705 reached a handshake agreement on a new five-year contract. The new agreement takes effect on August 1, 2008 and runs through July 31, 2013.

well wasn't that just a dramatic drum up for nothing

filthpig

Thanks sx2700-

Some times I think part timers make too much, some times not enough. The guy who loads my truck, for example, sucks so bad he should be paying UPS. On the other hand, my starting wage was 8.50....TWENTY YEARS AGO!!

bellesotico

BOXstar
This is also one of the most misrepresented issues too. If you listen to some people they will present the part time wage rate as being 8.50 for life. I believe the NMA has the same pay rate increase for part timers that it does for full timers. A seventy cent a year increase for a part timer making 12 bucks an hour is a significant increase percentage wise of six percent when the industry standard is usually around 2 percent.

Tie-

It is not my intention to mislead people into believing that $8.50/hr is the lifetime wage for part time employees. The purpose of my post was simply to point out that starting wages for part time employees have not changed yet the demands on the employees continue to increase. While your numbers reflect a nice wage increase, your post does not take into account the period of time it takes to get to $12. It just doesn't paint a realistic picture.

tyugar

What cost $8.50 in 1987 would cost $15.87 in 2007.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2007 and 1987,
they would cost you $8.50 and $4.68 respectively.

This will be the death of the middle class.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Some times I think part timers make too much, some times not enough. The guy who loads my truck, for example, sucks so bad he should be paying UPS. On the other hand, my starting wage was 8.50....TWENTY YEARS AGO!!

Filthpig-

See YOU KNOW! You get what I'm saying!!

I'm not trying to be unreasonable. I care so much about the job I do. It drives me nuts to not do my job 100%. I have walked into other cars to bring down packages and seen horrible loads and it's driven me crazy!!! I want to stop and just fix things!

I'm someone who gives a crap about whether my drivers have a good day or not, or whether they are loaded stop for stop, or doing little things like toting their smalls for one bulk stop so that they don't get lost in the load. I'm also someone who others look at simply as a part timer who needs to stop whining about not getting enough money and go out and get a second job.
It's just disheartening.

Filthpig-

See YOU KNOW! You get what I'm saying!!

I'm not trying to be unreasonable. I care so much about the job I do. It drives me nuts to not do my job 100%. I have walked into other cars to bring down packages and seen horrible loads and it's driven me crazy!!! I want to stop and just fix things!

I'm someone who gives a crap about whether my drivers have a good day or not, or whether they are loaded stop for stop, or doing little things like toting their smalls for one bulk stop so that they don't get lost in the load. I'm also someone who others look at simply as a part timer who needs to stop whining about not getting enough money and go out and get a second job.
It's just disheartening.

Where were you when I was in package?:love-very: