Strike Vulnerable to Political and Media Pressure

Thebrownblob

So this is why you responded so sensitively and defensively to this thread, because I’m a new guy here. Do you always get threatened by new guys?
No one threatened by you, we think you sound like a clown. Clowns are humorous. you also happen to be an uninformed one. I’ll give you a slight clue where do you think all the stories about drivers and heat have been coming from? Public opinion is pretty strong in our favor and it will continue for the next 8 to 12 months. The leader ship at the top is doing their job, public doesn’t happen overnight, and we won’t get all of them anyway. Some of them just hate unions.

Mutineer

Say all the stupid crap you want. If you discount the necessity public opinion will have come 08/23 there’s nothing you can do to make me think you’re even partly serious and that your opinions are worth anything more than a cow’s fart.
I believe that "public opinion" regarding a strike will be created, formed, and dictated by the current political administration in control, and dutifully regurgitated by the sycophant, boot-licking mainstream news media.

The news media will tell the American public exactly what to think about UPS drivers and there's nothing to be done about it.

For example: right now the news media is portraying UPS drivers as whiny bitches crying about the lack of AC in their vans. This also conveniently fits in nicely with the nonstop global warming narrative.

Dangler

Banned
No one threatened by you, we think you sound like a clown. Clowns are humorous. you also happen to be an uninformed one. I’ll give you a slight clue where do you think all the stories about drivers and heat have been coming from? Public opinion is pretty strong in our favor and it will continue for the next 8 to 12 months. The leader ship at the top is doing their job public doesn’t happen overnight, and we won’t get all of them anyway. Some of them just hate unions.
Talk about Captain Obvious. Where else would the stories of Drivers and the heat come from, the UPS press office??

You seem to think leadership should shoulder all this burden. You’re also naïve to think the individual discipline, bearing, and talking points of the rank-and-file won’t come into play, and that it isn’t our duty to be concerned with such things.

The fact you think I’m a clown for talking about this stuff only further proves you lack seriousness and are just internet LARPing.

Imagine joining a message a year before the contract to only obsess and fearmonger about what the public thinks without even knowing what’s really happening at your international union or your local union. How about some contract proposals? A strike is not eminent, before we even negotiate. Lol suspicious to say the least.
Hopefully we're not going on strike this is definitely a distinct possibility

Thebrownblob

Talk about Captain Obvious. Where else would the stories of Drivers and the heat come from, the UPS press office??

You seem to think leadership should shoulder all this burden. You’re also naïve to think the individual discipline, bearing, and talking points of the rank-and-file won’t come into play, and that it isn’t our duty to be concerned with such things.

The fact you think I’m a clown for talking about this stuff only further proves you lack seriousness and are just internet LARPing.
So now they are doing something you’re just not satisfied? Lol🤡

Dangler

Banned
I believe that "public opinion" regarding a strike will be created, formed, and dictated by the current political administration in control, and dutifully regurgitated by the sycophant, boot-licking mainstream news media.

The news media will tell the American public exactly what to think about UPS drivers and there's nothing to be done about it.

For example: right now the news media is portraying UPS drivers as whiny bitches crying about the lack of AC in their vans. This also conveniently fits in nicely with the nonstop global warming narrative.
I agree to an extant, but there are things we can do organizationally and individually to help gain public support.

Individually we must first of all be fearless and ready to endure hardship.
We also have to have the right frame of mind.
Yes, this is our contract, and not the public’s, but we will need the public’s support to beat the corporate media.

As UPSers we have to realize we’re not going to maintain in our little bubble for eternity.
If we’re not looking decades down the road something will happen that will allow UPS to adopt the Amazon model because the entire system is working against us and we can’t tread water forever.

Sean O’Brien clearly knows this too, and that most likely is a part of why he’s using us to attack the cheap-labor vanguard. This, at the same time, gives us a more solid position at the negotiating table than we already have, because now we can correlate our fight with that of the average Worker’s.

We need to get the idea out of our heads that this is just a UPS/Teamster contract negotiation.
This is part of a greater war.

There are various ways to advertise a brand or a cause. The best way to do this is to use your individual customers or members as models, viz. fashion models. Most Teamsters can’t be models by our looks alone, so we need to use our behavior and talking points.
If we as individuals take up the mental frame of “sacrificial leader for all Workers” it will show in our behavior and speech, and this will enable us to better court the public.

If Sean O’Brien is going to use the Teamster/UPS 22/23 negotiations as a springboard to hit the cheap-labor vanguard having built up a tidal wave of public support against UPS will be helpful for him to move in to the next level.

Thebrownblob

We’re UPSers, and can take criticism, whose skin is thicker than ours?
Nothing wrong with criticism as long as what you’re criticizing something that needs to be criticized. You seem to be criticizing just for criticism sake. Most of these things you speak of are already happening. Some of them are overthinking.
Our jobs are not the pinnacle they once were for work, for Pay nor working conditions. Some of that is the economy and some of that is the fact that the next generation has little desire to do this kind of work. nor work these type of hours.

At no time in my working career has labor been poised to make gains. Public support has gotten stronger and interest has gotten wider.

Now is not the time to be timid. The group in charge is not. I fully support their plan and I believe it will be successful. That does not mean we will go on strike, a strong show of force and determination will get the companies to negotiate seriously and swiftly.

If you have ideas that you do not believe are being explored get a hold of the international and give them your opinion.

Last edited:

Dangler

Banned
This thread wasn’t started as a criticism, nor have I been critical of Teamster leadership.
I’m offering up some suggestions, that’s it, dunno why this is being taken as criticism. Yes, I have been insulting and critical, to and of, individuals in this thread, and stand by this.

Rising support for Workers only ensures this support will be targeted by the corporate powers with their media. Public support isn’t something you can take for granted, it’s like a woman. Start slacking on your lady, taking her for granted, and you’ll eventually wake up alone.

I support O’Brien’s plan too. That’s support, mind you, as I’m actually supporting his plan and not just burdening leadership with all the thinking and organizational wherewithal. The best way to assist Sean O’Brien is to develop a real political acumen in yourself so you can be counted on to hold down your section of the Rank-and-File. The first part of this is recognizing the populist impulse that has penetrated most political thinking in the US.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You do realize this generalization of the thread can be compared with the actual thread?

What you’re talking about is the conversation I was hoping to have.

Getting attacked by a bunch of bizarrely sensitive, and passive aggressive, Teamsters wasn’t what I had in mind.

The "generalization" of the thread is actually a precise critique of your involvement in the thread. I offered an example of a way we could impact public opinion, as boots on the ground, frontline workers, you scoffed, insulted, and continued to offer no real ideas. If you actually want to talk about practical steps we, the members, can take, then let's.

Thebrownblob

This thread wasn’t started as a criticism, nor have I been critical of Teamster leadership.
I’m offering up some suggestions, that’s it, dunno why this is being taken as criticism. Yes, I have been insulting and critical, to and of, individuals in this thread, and stand by this.

Rising support for Workers only ensures this support will be targeted by the corporate powers with their media. Public support isn’t something you can take for granted, it’s like a woman. Start slacking on your lady, taking her for granted, and you’ll eventually wake up alone.

I support O’Brien’s plan too. That’s support, mind you, as I’m actually supporting his plan and not just burdening leadership with all the thinking and organizational wherewithal. The best way to assist Sean O’Brien is to develop a real political acumen in yourself so you can be counted on to hold down your section of the Rank-and-File. The first part of this is recognizing the populist impulse that has penetrated most political thinking in the US.
Might’ve been better to have come with this type of post first.

Mutineer

I agree to an extant, but there are things we can do organizationally and individually to help gain public support.

Yes, this is our contract, and not the public’s, but we will need the public’s support to beat the corporate media.

As UPSers we have to realize we’re not going to maintain in our little bubble for eternity.
If we’re not looking decades down the road something will happen that will allow UPS to adopt the Amazon model because the entire system is working against us and we can’t tread water forever.

Sean O’Brien clearly knows this too, and that most likely is a part of why he’s using us to attack the cheap-labor vanguard. This, at the same time, gives us a more solid position at the negotiating table than we already have, because now we can correlate our fight with that of the average Worker’s.

We need to get the idea out of our heads that this is just a UPS/Teamster contract negotiation.

There are various ways to advertise a brand or a cause. The best way to do this is to use your individual customers or members as models, viz. fashion models. Most Teamsters can’t be models by our looks alone, so we need to use our behavior and talking points.
If we as individuals take up the mental frame of “sacrificial leader for all Workers” it will show in our behavior and speech, and this will enable us to better court the public.

If Sean O’Brien is going to use the Teamster/UPS 22/23 negotiations as a springboard to hit the cheap-labor vanguard having built up a tidal wave of public support against UPS will be helpful for him to move in to the next level.

Very many working class, blue collar workers have been "cheap labor" their entire working life. And plenty of them don't have the luxury of a working AC (broken) in their own personal cars.

Those people do NOT take pity on UPS drivers.

I would like to think the Union should delegate your public image makeover to a PR firm.

Pullman Brown

Have you emailed Sean O’Brien yet? While you’re at it go ahead and email every major news outlet and get the ball rolling!

Sixth Punch Sense

Are you even an RPCD?
R.73bbe3af6d759cfabc698ad500c2fd5c

Dangler

Banned
The "generalization" of the thread is actually a precise critique of your involvement in the thread. I offered an example of a way we could impact public opinion, as boots on the ground, frontline workers, you scoffed, insulted, and continued to offer no real ideas. If you actually want to talk about practical steps we, the members, can take, then let's.
I registered your replies to me as antagonism and replied in kind.

The problem with your proposed tactic is that in reality nobody gives a damn if we collapse in the heat. People will pretend to care because they’re expected to, but in reality they don’t give a damn.
This is sadly the way things are.
The public will only support what directly benefits them, and you gotta piss with the dick God gave ya.

Dangler

Banned
Very many working class, blue collar workers have been "cheap labor" their entire working life. And plenty of them don't have the luxury of a working AC (broken) in their own personal cars.

Those people do NOT take pity on UPS drivers.

I would like to think the Union should delegate your public image makeover to a PR firm.
They won’t take pity on us, but they WILL support us when we show that we are fighting for them.

We’re gonna kick the white-collar crime syndicate in the balls and get paid well doing so.

Tell the average Workers, “I want you to have what I’m getting too and will fight for you”, that’s something they can support.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I registered your replies to me as antagonism and replied in kind.

Just a little hazing to see how serious you are. Don't take it personally.

The problem with your proposed tactic is that in reality nobody gives a damn if we collapse in the heat. People will pretend to care because they’re expected to, but in reality they don’t give a damn.
It wasn't so much a proposal as an example of what we could do. I still get people telling me about the news stories they see about our working conditions. If The last two years have taught us anything about human psychology is that people will support anything they think everyone else supports. When someone gets upset about their order of flip flops being late due to the strike, they'll remember that video, and decline to take to Twitter to spout off about late flip flops. If they do, they'll have 100 people shouting them down for being selfish, and get tons of people posting links to the video.

This is sadly the way things are.
The public will only support what directly benefits them, and you gotta piss with the dick God gave ya.

I disagree. The last two years have shown us that people would cut their own throats if they thought most people think they should. People will change their avatars to brown to show their support for the strike. They'll brag about how they had to wait a couple extra weeks to get their printed I support the latest thing T-shirt, and though it was very, very hard on them, they were glad to do it to show solidarity and support for the hardworking men and women who just want to not die of heat stroke.

Dangler

Banned
Just a little hazing to see how serious you are. Don't take it personally.

It wasn't so much a proposal as an example of what we could do. I still get people telling me about the news stories they see about our working conditions. If The last two years have taught us anything about human psychology is that people will support anything they think everyone else supports. When someone gets upset about their order of flip flops being late due to the strike, they'll remember that video, and decline to take to Twitter to spout off about late flip flops. If they do, they'll have 100 people shouting them down for being selfish, and get tons of people posting links to the video.

I disagree. The last two years have shown us that people would cut their own throats if they thought most people think they should. People will change their avatars to brown to show their support for the strike. They'll brag about how they had to wait a couple extra weeks to get their printed I support the latest thing T-shirt, and though it was very, very hard on them, they were glad to do it to show solidarity and support for the hardworking men and women who just want to not die of heat stroke.
The basis of this scenario looks to be quite accurate, but I think the opposite might happen.
If the corporate media, and the Biden administration start accusing us of hurting an already fragile economy the mindless herd behavior you’re accurately observing may be directed against us.

Personally, I expect the Biden administration along with the media to cast us as new “anti -vaxxers” or some other kind of public enemy that’s trying to “kill democracy”.

That being said, the scenario you described would be a total PR victory for us, and is the outcome we should be striving for, because it would make us invincible.