Supervisor working question

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I work pt in the warehouse and we had more people then normal working but then the pt sups started working then the full time sup started stacking in a trailer. I know they did it so we could get done faster but thats like taking money out of my pocket i feel. Im not sure how i have to handle it. Do i have to watch them the whole time there working? I dont want to file but 3 sups working in when we have a full shift isnt right especially when ones full time sup. Just not sure how to handle it. Thanks in advance
file on them and slide it under the door

km3

km3

Only time sups are suppose to work is when "training" new hires.

The question is, who decides to file on it.

Here it's if they're training, have exhausted all options, or an "Act of God" (whatever that means). They never exhaust all options though, so that condition is basically invisible.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I work pt in the warehouse and we had more people then normal working but then the pt sups started working then the full time sup started stacking in a trailer. I know they did it so we could get done faster but thats like taking money out of my pocket i feel. Im not sure how i have to handle it. Do i have to watch them the whole time there working? I dont want to file but 3 sups working in when we have a full shift isnt right especially when ones full time sup. Just not sure how to handle it. Thanks in advance
You can ignore the occasional working by management which happens daily or give them a reason to harass you by filing grievances.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If supervisors are working then file, but be prepared for retaliation from management. When I filed when our preload sup was unloading trailers and hammering us with packages, I was moved from my spot to the very end where I conveniently couldn't see the prick going in the trailer. After a quick harassment grievance I was moved back to my original position. The only bad thing is I don't even know if we ever won the (3) grievances. My BA never got back to me which :furious:

PT Car Washer

You can ignore the occasional working by management which happens daily or give them a reason to harass you by filing grievances.
Retaliation for filing grievances is a given. I don't care what the contract says because the company comes back with "it was a business decision". In my building the sups have to be working for 20 minutes or more to collect on a supervisor working grievance. Management started a new thing where they will have a high seniority Union member (old guy) stand there and watch (training) while the sup works to prevent a grievance being filed. Some days several old guys well be standing around watching while PT sups are loading trailers because of short staffing. I don't agree with it but I would catch Hell from the "watchers" if I complain about the practice. Most of the "watchers" I have worked with for 30+years.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Unless your attendance is perfect and your methods are in order don't file.[/QUOTE
It doesn't matter about your work record concerning filing a grievance. The company will come after no matter what because each seniority employee can be replaced with a new one at a much lower rate of pay. It's a feather in their cap to get rid of old timers.

542thruNthru

Retaliation for filing grievances is a given. I don't care what the contract says because the company comes back with "it was a business decision". In my building the sups have to be working for 20 minutes or more to collect on a supervisor working grievance. Management started a new thing where they will have a high seniority Union member (old guy) stand there and watch (training) while the sup works to prevent a grievance being filed. Some days several old guys well be standing around watching while PT sups are loading trailers because of short staffing. I don't agree with it but I would catch Hell from the "watchers" if I complain about the practice. Most of the "watchers" I have worked with for 30+years.

Wow and people give millennials crap. That's just sad. I'd still file, friend or not.

km3

Holy crap. It's almost like they're violating the contract just for the sake of violating the contract at that point.

Brownsfan

That is your work. I started a big ole dust up at work one day. Our boss told us we must unload our own trucks if we had under twenty pkgs.
I told them sorry I can't do that this is local sort work. I brought it to the union and they brought it up to management. Guess what? We haven't gotten that crazy request since that day.
When a sup ask you to do something like that or they unload trailers, They are basically admitting that they need to hire another hourly to get the work done. The grievance you file keeps them accountable and working according to the contract that they agreed to.
Warn
Document
File
Cash check
Do it again

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is your work. I started a big ole dust up at work one day. Our boss told us we must unload our own trucks if we had under twenty pkgs.
I told them sorry I can't do that this is local sort work. I brought it to the union and they brought it up to management. Guess what? We haven't gotten that crazy request since that day.
When a sup ask you to do something like that or they unload trailers, They are basically admitting that they need to hire another hourly to get the work done. The grievance you file keeps them accountable and working according to the contract that they agreed to.
Warn
Document
File
Cash check
Do it again

This is why Unions get a bad name.

It's not like you were being asked to unload a 53'er by yourself while off the clock.

I don't think that it was an unreasonable request. If you wanted to be a dick about it you could have coded the 45 seconds under Local Sort or Sort and Load.

Over 70

It's not like you were being asked to unload a 53'er by yourself while off the clock.

I don't think that it was an unreasonable request. If you wanted to be a dick about it you could have coded the 45 seconds under Local Sort or Sort and Load.

You live in a fantasy world. This is why unions are necessary. I've been around two decades less than you and realized long ago if you give an inch many times people take a mile.

It's not about the 20 boxes, what's next 25 boxes, 50 boxes, your whole car? Sadly it really is necessary to draw a line in the sand.

I've been screwed at many non union jobs that you're at their mercy, I realize UPS is basically the only career you've ever had so you're just ignorant to how regular people's jobs in the 21st century opperate outside of your brown world and lack appreciation for the benefits your union has provided.

oldngray

nowhere special
No contract violation. The sup is demonstrating how to do the job correctly while the employee watches.
Agreed, as long as the hourly is just watching the sup and not also working they can go that. Doesn't matter if the hourly knows how to do the job better than the sup. Not something to try to fight about.

PT Car Washer

Agreed, as long as the hourly is just watching the sup and not also working they can go that. Doesn't matter if the hourly knows how to do the job better than the sup. Not something to try to fight about.
I don't agree with the practice, but if the company wants to pay an employee $30+/hr to watch a sup do bargaining unit work, what can I do.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Our preload is so short staffed that we had one PT sup unloading trailers and another on a 3 car pull.
We also had 2 FT cover drivers loading trucks.
The REAL kicker was the 30 year circle of honor Feeder driver who was working clerk. Not sure how he got roped into that.

Brownsfan

This is where your wrong. By the time all the drivers unload their trucks, your easily talking about a 53 footer of pkgs.
If you were on the layoff list and you heard about that happening you would be pissed off.
It may seem innocent enough to unload your truck, well as long as your okay with a fellow teamster not having enough hours for their insurance that week or food on the table.
I wasn't being a dick. I was being a team player. I was being united.