Supervisor working question

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is where your wrong. By the time all the drivers unload their trucks, your easily talking about a 53 footer of pkgs.
If you were on the layoff list and you heard about that happening you would be :censored2: off.
It may seem innocent enough to unload your truck, well as long as your okay with a fellow teamster not having enough hours for their insurance that week or food on the table.
I wasn't being a dick. I was being a team player. I was being united.

No, you were being a dick. The sup clearly said that if you have 20 or fewer pickup pieces that you are to unload them yourself.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
No, you were being a dick. The sup clearly said that if you have 20 or fewer pickup pieces that you are to unload them yourself.
WTF

You either have an unloader or you don't. Every driver unloads their car or no one does. Again, you just think about yourself (par for the course).

It's the same reason I don't do lookups on area. If the address is screwed up, it goes to the clerk WHO'S PAID to do it. They use to have the OMS send out messages with corrected information. We still brought back each and every package.

Keep encouraging people to do other people's job and your pension will be more underfunded than it already is.

BUCN85

Heck yea! Union does nothing. Don't see them much except at election time.
Some unions must be different ours is fantastic. Any time I needed something my BA would get back to me with in minutes and would always make sure I got the info when needed.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our preload is so short staffed that we had one PT sup unloading trailers and another on a 3 car pull.
We also had 2 FT cover drivers loading trucks.

If you no one files a grievance on these sups doing hourly work then they won't hire new people. Why hire more hourlies when you can survive short with salaried employees doing their work? If people keep filing grievances then there may be a push to hire more people. And if they don't hire more people and instead just pay out the grievances, free money for you. It also affects start time. These sups are potentially stealing work from you which takes time. Time is money.
If you don't stand up for your contract, no one will.

Brownsfan

I have a good friend that is just like you. No matter what the subject is,he tries to get under peoples skin and piss them off so badly that they are forced to respond. Usually the response is one of anger and vitriol. But over the years I have learned that I was not created to provide this unstable man amusement.
So now I just look at him and laugh. This ones for you upstate, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
WTF

You either have an unloader or you don't. Every driver unloads their car or no one does. Again, you just think about yourself (par for the course).

It's the same reason I don't do lookups on area. If the address is screwed up, it goes to the clerk WHO'S PAID to do it. They use to have the OMS send out messages with corrected information. We still brought back each and every package.

Keep encouraging people to do other people's job and your pension will be more underfunded than it already is.
work as instructed

if management tells you to unload the package car, guess what you're doing

it's not your place at all to decide whose work it belongs to

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
If you no one files a grievance on these sups doing hourly work then they won't hire new people. Why hire more hourlies when you can survive short with salaried employees doing their work? If people keep filing grievances then there may be a push to hire more people. And if they don't hire more people and instead just pay out the grievances, free money for you. It also affects start time. These sups are potentially stealing work from you which takes time. Time is money.
If you don't stand up for your contract, no one will.

One of the issues is that they've been putting more cars out in the trailer wings to offset the lack of people on the main belts. As a result we've been getting crushed out there then the supervisors looked surprised when we have drivers helping us finish loading. Out of sight, out of mind.

CanOSup

One of them
That is your work. I started a big ole dust up at work one day. Our boss told us we must unload our own trucks if we had under twenty pkgs.
I told them sorry I can't do that this is local sort work. I brought it to the union and they brought it up to management. Guess what? We haven't gotten that crazy request since that day.
When a sup ask you to do something like that or they unload trailers, They are basically admitting that they need to hire another hourly to get the work done. The grievance you file keeps them accountable and working according to the contract that they agreed to.
Warn
Document
File
Cash check
Do it again

Its not your job to determine who "Work" belongs to. Its your job to follow instructions which in this case you clearly did not...

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Its not your job to determine who "Work" belongs to. Its your job to follow instructions which in this case you clearly did not...
You are correct, suppose to be your job to follow the contract

Brownsfan

I work as instructed. We were asked to unload our trucks. I called the union and the union contacted my boss and they agreed that it was not a part of my job to unload. Please tell me where I didn't do what I was suppose to do? Had I been instructed I would had complied. But I didn't have to it's not my work as agreed by management and the union.
Funny how I haven't seen that message pop up since then.
Say what you will, it is my job to keep management accountable to the contract via union representation. I wasn't alone on this issue. There was building wide pushback. I just made the call

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Work as instructed now, file about it later. Unless its a safety issue.
Wouldn't it be terrible to do 190 stops with 400 pkgs and get in safely after 10 hours and then strain something or hurt something unloading the truck? How about following contract first

oldngray

nowhere special
Wouldn't it be terrible to do 190 stops with 400 pkgs and get in safely after 10 hours and then strain something or hurt something unloading the truck? How about following contract first
9.5 list is for situations like that but you can't file because you have 1 heavy day.If you strain yourself unloading the truck they would just hit you for not following methods like you are supposed to use when doing everything.

Agreed in the real world you are far more likely to get hurt when you are tired but that is another issue.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

9.5 list is for situations like that but you can't file because you have 1 heavy day.If you strain yourself unloading the truck they would just hit you for not following methods like you are supposed to use when doing everything.

Agreed in the real world you are far more likely to get hurt when you are tired but that is another issue.
Let's just follow the contract

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you voluntarily go home then you have no case. If you are sent home and supervisors are working in your (or other hourlies) place, then grievances should be filed, doesn't matter if you have 3.5 hours or not.

PT Car Washer

If you voluntarily go home then you have no case. If you are sent home and supervisors are working in your (or other hourlies) place, then grievances should be filed, doesn't matter if you have 3.5 hours or not.
Are you saying that when hourlies take off early when asked, that it is okay for sups to work and cannot be grieved? Doesn't sound right to me.