Supplemental / Temp driver training ~ Ground

bbsam

Staff member
Well here we are bbsam a year later all you need to do is to go to that nationwide job board that starts with the letter "I" and you'll see loads of ads in that same $600 /zero benefit pay range along with ads placed by contractors who won't commit themselves to disclose any pay rate offer of any kind in their ads.
Another year later and still Ground continues to grow.

How long til you admit that your constant clarion call of impending doom is just wrong?

And on a larger scope, what does it say in a booming economy where contractors can pay $120 a day and people still show up for the jobs?

bbsam

Staff member
Why bother? Scan like normal, maybe get a talking to, but I never have. If FedEx is going to charge the recipient for extra service and offer me nothing to get it done I’m not going to sweat failing to provide that service.
They make a huge deal about everything around here.

bacha29

Another year later and still Ground continues to grow.

How long til you admit that your constant clarion call of impending doom is just wrong?

And on a larger scope, what does it say in a booming economy where contractors can pay $120 a day and people still show up for the jobs?
Your comment validates my point. A year ago you said that the $600 figure was long gone........Now you're saying it's back. Yes, you can get away with it in some markets and the turnover as well. But, in some markets with limited population bases to begin with and shrinking labor pools to draw from the risks and consequences of having loaded trucks and nobody to drive them was a risk that wasn't supported by prospects for improved margins.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Your comment validates my point. A year ago you said that the $600 figure was long gone........Now you're saying it's back. Yes, you can get away with it in some markets and the turnover as well. But, in some markets with limited population bases to begin with and shrinking labor pools to draw from the risks and consequences of having loaded trucks and nobody to drive them was a risk that wasn't supported by prospects for improved margins.

You've been beating this drum of shrinking labor pools forever. For what purpose?

CJinx

Why bother? Scan like normal, maybe get a talking to, but I never have. If FedEx is going to charge the recipient for extra service and offer me nothing to get it done I’m not going to sweat failing to provide that service.
If you're going to fail a CDO, may as well do it straight. Turning in a hand sheet with a falsified time on it is playing roulette; it is an integrity issue if someone wants to make a big deal about it. All it takes is a manager with a hair across their ass or a customer calling in demanding a refund for a service they paid for but did not receive.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Bump, new terminal still have these things... the only good part is I can upload the whole manifest to the Garmin GPS unit.

As a cover/ swing driver, this helps tremendously. If they can't afford the star V, they can't afford ground cloud either... so different than the terminal I left in 2019

The bad news is the amount of zeroes that their system has in this terminal... a major pita compared to the standalone HD terminal I was at years ago.

CJinx

Bump, new terminal still have these things... the only good part is I can upload the whole manifest to the Garmin GPS unit.

As a cover/ swing driver, this helps tremendously. If they can't afford the star V, they can't afford ground cloud either... so different than the terminal I left in 2019

The bad news is the amount of zeroes that their system has in this terminal... a major pita compared to the standalone HD terminal I was at years ago.
STAR IV support is ending soon and we are already unable to procure new units, so they're going to eventually have to buy new scanners or hand sheet everything. :scared:

As for your last bit, speak to your station's admins/coordinators and tell them to work ITQA stuff; when they are on top of that, it greatly reduces section zero stops and gets 999's down to a manageable level.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
i dunno, this is a bigger building than the last... i'm just a grunt driver there, not a BC. I did made it known to my current BC that the last 2 buildings i was working out of had barely any zeroes. it made their service #s great since the drivers were less stressed about them.

20 zeroes on Monday; wut a crapfest & wonders why Ground has some deficiencies in service.

Some cover drivers will leave zeroes behind for the spare drivers to pick up the slack on the 2nd wave

Yea, i believe someone else mentioned that the star IV will be phased out by June or so...