Supplemental / Temp driver training ~ Ground

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by OrioN, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

no

2. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

I finish at the same time because we do pickups. The only difference would be how long you sit around for lunch. Is spending 1.5hrs sorting your truck before dispatch worth the extra .5hr at lunch time? Not to me, and not to anyone that can do math.

3. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Why would it take an hour and a half to sort a truck? 15 to 20 minutes max.

4. It will be fine

We deliver boxes, this isn’t sorting envelopes. 300 packages take a while to sort through if you want to put them all in perfect order.

5. 59 Dano

59 Dano I just want to make friends!

Three hundred pieces? All the more reason to sort them in stop order. You beat the drum, and rightfully so, about people who spend time in an unproductive manner. Stop order eliminates that when you can open the bulkhead door and go directly to the package without having to look for it or handle other packages to get to it.

6. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Ok 25 min Max. You're just trying to justify not paying your drivers the time to do it.

7. It will be fine

These aren’t single piece stops. Back in a dock, drop 20 off here, 30 there and it clears out quickly. After that, everything should be loaded and easily found by the vision load label. You know what shelf it’s on and approximately how far along that shelf it should be, you don’t gain much sorting it perfectly.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. It will be fine

I don’t care if they do it. I train them how to properly do the job without wasting that time and don’t entertain their whining when they complain about doing it.

9. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

Invest in a hand truck...

Or be like that guy

10. 59 Dano

Not to justify what the guy did, but he wasn't provided the proper equipment to do the job. But hey... "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE SUPER LOW SHIPPING CHARGES!!!"

11. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I’d go even further. This company pays crap for making freight deliveries.

12. 59 Dano

A case of getting what one pays for, whether it's a guy who orders something online, FedEx Ground entering into agreements with contractors, or contractors hiring drivers. Sometimes it's all of 'em!

13. bbsam

Yep. And if it were my driver, I’d tell him not to do it, but I get it.

Plus I happen to know UPS damages that stuff all the time too. We ain’t freight companies.

14. It will be fine

I don’t think the guy was that rough with it. Improper packaging.

15. bbsam

Right. While reprimanding my driver, I would be shrugging my shoulders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  16. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I agree. If it had proper packaging, like styrofoam around it, rolling it wouldn’t have made a difference.

17. bbsam

Now the cynical part.

Fedex charges the contractor for the complaint and with it pays the claim.

Meanwhile, Fedex clears $70 on every package that size they deliver with a payable claim frequency of less than .01%.

There’s a lot of people in the industry shrugging their shoulders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. It will be fine

The shipper has to know anything that big is going to take a tumble or two. I think most don’t care, it’s easy to blame the “careless” fedex guy.

19. It will be fine

The only thing I’d be mad about is him not telling me he didn’t have a dolly before he dispatched.

20. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

And get paid multiple times.