Supplemental / Temp driver training ~ Ground

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I always loaded by zone meaning that I spent little time loading, but still knew almost exactly where the package was and manifest stop number meant nothing , and in most cases, I saw the package a couple times more while grabbing the package for the current stop. Fedex stop numbers meant nothing on my rural route because the route could change drastically every day because of just 1-2 packages being so far off the path. And when I grabbed the package for the current stop, I always located the package for the next stop, and if small enough, put it next to the drivers seat. If I had allowed anyone else to load by stop number, I would have been screwed with packages buried. My route ran about 30 miles along a freeway and 20 miles into the forests on either side, with some deliveries separated by 20 or more miles because roads didn't all connect- Roads ran parallel to the freeway miles away with one package sometimes throwing off the whole route. Computer routing ALWAYS started me closest to the terminal and ended me at furthest point, while sometimes (often) the most efficient was to make a loop, or a loop inside a loop, or a figure 8, with sometimes the last cluster of stops in a town being the last stops of the day, or possibly one stop on my way home 50 miles from my next to last stop. But no matter what order I delivered in, I always knew where the package was in the truck. The one-off rural stops were one 'zone' in themselves, even if they may have been 100 miles apart by road between them.
no

It will be fine

If you finish at the same time as your drivers, your drivers obviously suck balls. I can run circles around my manager with one hand tied behind my back. There is a reason why we at Express fine sort our trucks. It saves time on road when you know where every single package ision your truck. Hunting for packages in a unorganized truck eats up a lot of time during the day. Again it really isn't that hard to understand.
I finish at the same time because we do pickups. The only difference would be how long you sit around for lunch. Is spending 1.5hrs sorting your truck before dispatch worth the extra .5hr at lunch time? Not to me, and not to anyone that can do math.

MAKAVELI

I finish at the same time because we do pickups. The only difference would be how long you sit around for lunch. Is spending 1.5hrs sorting your truck before dispatch worth the extra .5hr at lunch time? Not to me, and not to anyone that can do math.
Why would it take an hour and a half to sort a truck? 15 to 20 minutes max.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We deliver boxes, this isn’t sorting envelopes. 300 packages take a while to sort through if you want to put them all in perfect order.

Three hundred pieces? All the more reason to sort them in stop order. You beat the drum, and rightfully so, about people who spend time in an unproductive manner. Stop order eliminates that when you can open the bulkhead door and go directly to the package without having to look for it or handle other packages to get to it.

It will be fine

Three hundred pieces? All the more reason to sort them in stop order. You beat the drum, and rightfully so, about people who spend time in an unproductive manner. Stop order eliminates that when you can open the bulkhead door and go directly to the package without having to look for it or handle other packages to get to it.
These aren’t single piece stops. Back in a dock, drop 20 off here, 30 there and it clears out quickly. After that, everything should be loaded and easily found by the vision load label. You know what shelf it’s on and approximately how far along that shelf it should be, you don’t gain much sorting it perfectly.

bbsam

Staff member
Not to justify what the guy did, but he wasn't provided the proper equipment to do the job. But hey... "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE SUPER LOW SHIPPING CHARGES!!!"
I’d go even further. This company pays crap for making freight deliveries.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’d go even further. This company pays crap for making freight deliveries.

A case of getting what one pays for, whether it's a guy who orders something online, FedEx Ground entering into agreements with contractors, or contractors hiring drivers. Sometimes it's all of 'em!

bbsam

Staff member
A case of getting what one pays for, whether it's a guy who orders something online, FedEx Ground entering into agreements with contractors, or contractors hiring drivers. Sometimes it's all of 'em!
Yep. And if it were my driver, I’d tell him not to do it, but I get it.

Plus I happen to know UPS damages that stuff all the time too. We ain’t freight companies.

bbsam

Staff member
Now the cynical part.

Fedex charges the contractor for the complaint and with it pays the claim.

Meanwhile, Fedex clears $70 on every package that size they deliver with a payable claim frequency of less than .01%.

There’s a lot of people in the industry shrugging their shoulders.