Surepost Shortcut

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Ok how do you know this. Almost every driver in the building will do it sometimes. How do you know a ground pkg was suppose to come in and the system kicked out the surepost pkg but guess what the ground didn’t make it. I have people on my route that want you to leave their pkgs at the post office to pick up. I bet your the driver that brags about I take everything to the house then you cover the route and find you leave stops everywhere.
I bet you're the kind of driver that leaves everything outside of locked apartment buildings and at apartment mailboxes to avoid walking up stairs.
Following the methods keeps stop counts down, and is what we are paid to do.

Appvol

I bet you're the kind of driver that leaves everything outside of locked apartment buildings and at apartment mailboxes to avoid walking up stairs.
Following the methods keeps stop counts down, and is what we are paid to do.
Nope you city drivers have no clue. I do remember a story of a old timer driver that’s been retired for years leaving a bow flex on a row of mailboxes on time.

Spanky250

You've obviously never worked anywhere else in the entire world

Punishing the good and rewarding the bad is as old as human history

Of course I have. And I never experienced this before. This is my second career. At my first, I was rewarded for my hard work with raises, promotions, trips and other perks, and over the course of 20 years worked my way up from the very bottom to production manager over 350 people. But here at UPS working hard just gets you, more work. And promotions only happen if you're a scumbag that's willing to screw over anybody and everybody.

Dr.Brownz

Ok I have several post offices on my route. I have had stops that are surepost pkgs with no ground pkgs. I will take the Powell label off and put them with the post office pkgs if they go to that post office. It’s fun to do if it’s a pkg of dog food.
PAL label

Dr.Brownz

Why?

No one has said why they would do this.

It is so idiotic it is beyond belief.

PROS:
Makes my supervisor "look good" on the report, I care about that because I need his approval

CONS:
-Decreases windshield time
-Increases pieces per stop
-Increases future stop counts
-Consolidates easiest stops into one....average stop is bulkier
-Takes away my easiest work and gives it to a non-teamster, costing driver jobs
- May be disciplined for not following methods, or fired for dishonesty if each address is entered instead of one post office add.

Anyone who does this is an ass kisser in my book, and an idiot who risks his job

Or just file 9.5 and get all that volume taken away anyway. Seems to be working for me

Brownsocks

Just a dog
why? UPS doesn't care. It's not dishonest at all, you scanned the package and UPS still gets credit
I'm not sure how they designate SurePost, but I would assume the system determines what we deliver using a cost based, location-routing algorithm. If that is the case dumping our planned SurePost off on the USPS is lowering company revenue.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Been meaning to post this for a little while. Some drivers I know who have a post office on their routes have casually mentioned “dumping surepost” on heavy days aka going through the truck at the post office and delivering all surepost packages to the PO even if they are in the EDD as a normal delivery. Has anybody else heard of this? I wouldn’t do this kind of thing unless instructed by a supe...actually I didn’t even want to ask the supes about it in case they started asking questions about who was doing this.
Yeah I’ve done this once. A customer called in. Then I got a message saying to retrieve it from the P.O. I told them no I’m not looking through 500 pieces to find their package it will get delivered tomorrow. Never did it again.

35years

Gravy route
I'm not sure how they designate SurePost, but I would assume the system determines what we deliver using a cost based, location-routing algorithm. If that is the case dumping our planned SurePost off on the USPS is lowering company revenue.
MyChoice
Customer can request delivery to home rather than post office.

They pay for it.

Driver independently decides to deliver to post office...dishonesty pointed out by customer complaint.

My post office delays delivery for 1 or 2 days so my customers do notice.

AKCoverMan

You've convinced me.
If i ever see a union brother/sister doing some crazy ish like this I'll pull them to the side and say: "hey, maybe you shouldn't be doing that".
After the laughs in my face and telling me it'll be fine, i can feel good knowing that at least i warned him/her.
:-)✊
Exactly,,, it’s a “lead a horse to water” kinda thing. Some people won’t learn.

Maybe say to these drivers.. “Wow! That’s a great idea! Wouldn’t it be just swell if we could dump everything at the Post Office? Then we wouldn’t have any work at all!! Oh, wait....”

These drivers don’t get that as a union we should want that work all back on our cars creating more jobs.

AKCoverMan

My post offices are not 1st on my route. They might get 1 to 10 pkgs a day. If I see a asterisk I check the stop to see if the pkgs are just surepost. Heck if I ask the postmaster will take ground pkg stops at some of the post offices if the person gets their mail there. I just do a left at then. I have one stop the person wants me to leave their stuff at the post office.

I’ve done it for years nothing was said ...I had 25 packages for the post office one day and I got it up to 60!
✊🧔

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just give the PO everything then you wouldn’t have a job. Or a paycheck. Or a pension. Or a health care plan paid for. Hmmmmm.....

AKCoverMan

Most of the time people don’t even know when the are getting something. You know there are post offices that don’t run routes out of them and people have to go pick their mail up everyday.
This is just one more reason NOT to do this. If customer wants to go pick up somewhere why order on line? The number one thing I hear from my customers is “I’m so glad they sent it with you and not the Post Office.”

You are encouraging them to quit ordering, Take care or the customers they are the ones funding your paycheck and your pension.