Swing Driver Discipline

l22

Just take it if that's all your worried about. I know many long time swings that only stay swings because they aren't bothered by the normal courier bull:censored2:. Just remember, they only need the route covered so they can go home. They seriously don't care as long as you get it done without any major problems.

I've been doing a regular route for some years. From what I understand some of the other routes where I am are a lot tougher than others though. But I really don't care about them being 'tough' since my methods and driving are always the same: by the book. If lates happen, they can adjust the route start time/stops if they want.

overflowed

Don't worry about it then. If they haven't fired you yet, they won't fire you for being a swing. They give swing drivers a lot of leeway.

fatboy33

Can a swing driver at Express be given warning letters/performance reminders solely based on low SPH, lates, gap reports, numbers? Is it possible for a swing driver to lose his or her position as a swing driver based solely on poor performance (not counting safety ie. accidents/occurances)? It seems the swings at my station just take their time and focus on safety (as they should) and still get to keep their jobs as swing drivers with low 'numbers.' I ask because I am considering taking a swing position which has recently come up where I am.
As long as you are doing your best, they can't fire you. If you're pulling over and talking on your phone for 20 minutes or if you're taking 20 minutes trying to get that hot Asian girls number on the 7th floor then you're not giving an honest effort on the job.

SmithBarney

It's tough enough for them to get swings, they aren't going to terminate a swing for low numbers.
Not really they are hiring them off the street, they don't last long though... but they are enticed because an off the street swing driver makes about the same as a 10yr driver.

!Retired!

How long have you been with the company?
Is this a true P/T swing or is it a P/T wheel route?

I'm assuming you are currently P/T, since you're considering a P/T swing position (which I've never heard of). If this is true, you won't notice much of a difference in your paycheck.
If you're currently friend/T, why would you take a step down to P/T, be it as a swing or not?

I'm getting the feeling there's more to this question. Have you gotten letters/warnings on your current route?

l22

I'm assuming you are currently P/T, since you're considering a P/T swing position (which I've never heard of). If this is true, you won't notice much of a difference in your paycheck.
If you're currently friend/T, why would you take a step down to P/T, be it as a swing or not?

I'm getting the feeling there's more to this question. Have you gotten letters/warnings on your current route?

It is P/T Swing. I am currently P/T but work a lot of extra hours and get about 35-40 a week. So I figured the extra money they give per hour for a swing could add up

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It is P/T Swing. I am currently P/T but work a lot of extra hours and get about 35-40 a week. So I figured the extra money they give per hour for a swing could add up
If it's anything like my station, they already think that everybody is a swing driver. No extra pay of course.

Purplepackage

Belive it or not I will probably gross 80k this year with all the over time I get being a swing. I haven't heard anything about my numbers in about 15 years, if they want you to drive 20 minutes to go get a pup for someone you just do it and soak up the free time. As a swing they just want you to help when they need you none of the other bull:censored2: applies

l22

Belive it or not I will probably gross 80k this year with all the over time I get being a swing. I haven't heard anything about my numbers in about 15 years, if they want you to drive 20 minutes to go get a pup for someone you just do it and soak up the free time. As a swing they just want you to help when they need you none of the other bull:censored2: applies

Sounds like there's no real reason not to do it, since I'm going to be going in for work anyways. Work is work and work is for money. I have no emotions other than that haha.

Purplepackage

What exactly do either of those positions do? How can you be a part time wheel?

overflowed

I'm telling you just take it. You sound like you are a swing basically working the hours you're working anyhow. Just not being paid as such. Being Pt you can say no to the extra work so what would the downfall be? Extra money is all you're looking at.

!Retired!

What exactly do either of those positions do? How can you be a part time wheel?
Swings cover ANY uncovered routes, sick calls, vacation, day off, etc.
Wheels have a set route each day they work. EVERY Monday..Rte A, EVERY Tuesday..Rte B, etc
We have a PT PM wheel at my station. Although, we don't have any FT PM routes.
I would speak to the other swings and the ones that were swings that took regular routes and ask them WHY they gave up swing. For ME, it's not worth the headache. Assuming $1.00/hr=$40/week=$160/mo=$2080/year. Stay on your route, take the hours your getting and you still have the ability to go home early if you so choose.

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm not a swing, but I've heard that the extra pay swing drivers get is only when on-road. So, that extra $1/hr isn't achieved when at the station doing the AM/PM sort, etc. Can someone confirm that?

outtatime

I'm not a swing, but I've heard that the extra pay swing drivers get is only when on-road. So, that extra $1/hr isn't achieved when at the station doing the AM/PM sort, etc. Can someone confirm that?
That sounds like UPS, they make different amounts depending on the job they're doing at the time. FedEx you make the same amount for everything you do whether it's sitting in on some stupid SM called meeting or making deliveries.

Purplepackage

Swings cover ANY uncovered routes, sick calls, vacation, day off, etc.
Wheels have a set route each day they work. EVERY Monday..Rte A, EVERY Tuesday..Rte B, etc
We have a PT PM wheel at my station. Although, we don't have any FT PM routes.

I would speak to the other swings and the ones that were swings that took regular routes and ask them WHY they gave up swing. For ME, it's not worth the headache. Assuming $1.00/hr=$40/week=$160/mo=$2080/year. Stay on your route, take the hours your getting and you still have the ability to go home early if you so choose.

Yeah I understand the positions as I was both lol

I was asking what a part time swing would cover? I've never even head of a swing being part time before, would it be like a swing just doing pm routes

Express Courier

Yep, we have both a PT Wheel Courier and PT Swing Courier at my station. Back in my early days I was a PT Wheel guy and I enjoyed it. Just covered the pup rte of the person scheduled off during the week.

PT Swing would cover P1 of sick calls or whatever like a regular swing. You are not obligated to stay all day. But on many occasions you can stay if you want.

Also I was a FT Swing and the main thing I enjoyed is not having to ham it up with the customer. They don't know you and you don't know them so you can just get in and out quickly. I don't like being chatty when I'm working, I like to get as far ahead as I can and then coast when I can see I'm definitely ahead of schedule. As a swing they don't really ask you why there was a 20 minute gap between stops etc.

But not knowing what you are going to to any given day pretty much sucks.

whenIgetthere

The extra pay (be it a buck an hour or 67 cents an hour here) is for every minute on the clock, not just on road.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep, we have both a PT Wheel Courier and PT Swing Courier at my station. Back in my early days I was a PT Wheel guy and I enjoyed it. Just covered the pup rte of the person scheduled off during the week.

PT Swing would cover P1 of sick calls or whatever like a regular swing. You are not obligated to stay all day. But on many occasions you can stay if you want.

Also I was a FT Swing and the main thing I enjoyed is not having to ham it up with the customer. They don't know you and you don't know them so you can just get in and out quickly. I don't like being chatty when I'm working, I like to get as far ahead as I can and then coast when I can see I'm definitely ahead of schedule. As a swing they don't really ask you why there was a 20 minute gap between stops etc.

I've been a swing and didn't care for it. First, you don't know who signs, where to deliver etc., which is a pain. We all know that every route has shortcuts like door combos, who will sign and who won't etc. I'd rather not have to play the game.

Second, management took full advantage because I was good, so if someone needed to dump stops, I got those in addition to a route I wasn't that well versed-in. This is a station with over 50 routes BTW. Maybe far more than that, and they weren't afraid to send you anywhere.

This was in my Kool-Aid days, so I'd never consider a swing position or recommend it unless you're in a smaller station where you don't have that many routes to deal with. A big station...uh, no. It isn't worth the money, plus since you're management's biotch, they can tap you to stay and do Haz, International, load cans etc, due to operational need. You do what they want when they want it. Eff that.

Purplepackage

On half the routes I cover I don't know how the route drivers shoot the :censored2: with customers, I'm running all day just to make sure my deliveries are done before pups and most days I can't even sneak in a half hour break until 4:30 or 5

But when I was the wheel i would talk to the customers a little, I felt like these people see me once or sometimes twice a week and they start to develop their own relationship with you. Wheel driving felt different than being a swing