Syracuse, NY is now a 6 day work week for all drivers

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Syracuse, NY hub implemented a 6 day work week for all drivers starting last Saturday . This will be our second weekend in a row and it’s going to get worse . Our stop counts are through the roof with some drivers working 12 hour days . Having said that the inside workers are also being forced to work 6 days . There should be union pushback from the top but unfortunately what ups wants ups gets ! It makes you wonder if Hoffa has been bought and paid for by ups as he sits silent .
I predicted this about 5 years ago and got nothing but grief.

suckers

ManInBrown

They are hiring helpers now at my location, I'll probably start with mine next week.
That’s ridiculous. So no thought about Corona? You shouldn’t be riding with someone else. Every helper I ever had in package was nothing but an anchor. I had one good, one time. They gave him to me Xmas eve. One decent one out of 20. I wouldn’t even want one.

I predicted this about 5 years ago and got nothing but grief.

suckers
10uF0YevrEnmDe.gif

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
That’s ridiculous. So no thought about Corona? You shouldn’t be riding with someone else. Every helper I ever had in package was nothing but an anchor. I had one good, one time. They gave him to me Xmas eve. One decent one out of 20. I wouldn’t even want one.
I'm getting my former helper from this past peak, he was the best helper I've had. We kept in touch and I'm not concerned anymore than interacting with any other coworkers or people.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Why does everyone think management is doing this just to punish the drivers and inside employees?

We are in unprecedented territory over the last couple of months in regards to package volume, we are trying not to roll packages but it is happening as you know due to Covid 19, working from home, quarantined, kids home, there are some things you can only get on line no stores in the area have it, period.

We cannot hire people fast enough even if we are hiring in your area. A lot of people are not even applying because they are making so much more money on unemployment.

I am only seeing 3-5 people on the initial HR interview vs 10-15 as in the past.

We are not lowering our standards and I am totally on board with that, we have had to DQ a couple of insiders because the created even more work while on road. New pre-loaders and local sorters just walking out.

We get that you are exhausted, guess what, so are we.

As far as the contract with Req 8's and 9.5's... who are we going to give the work too? Most are working until 8 or later every night with everyone working.

Last thing, if you are one of the drivers filing for 9.5 violation and you are doing less work then before (smaller area cause every route is in and you have 20 more stops...not 75 more!) then you better look in the mirror before you talk about being an essential worker/hero. A lot of you are just doing it to get paid (Hero Pay..ya right, greedy more like it) cause everyone else is doing it. I have lost respect for more than a few of my drivers and believe you me, I will not forget it and I am sure there are many other management people that feel the same way.

You more than likely don't care, but there it is........

Why does everyone think management is doing this just to punish the drivers and inside employees?

We are in unprecedented territory over the last couple of months in regards to package volume, we are trying not to roll packages but it is happening as you know due to Covid 19, working from home, quarantined, kids home, there are some things you can only get on line no stores in the area have it, period.

We cannot hire people fast enough even if we are hiring in your area. A lot of people are not even applying because they are making so much more money on unemployment.

I am only seeing 3-5 people on the initial HR interview vs 10-15 as in the past.

We are not lowering our standards and I am totally on board with that, we have had to DQ a couple of insiders because the created even more work while on road. New pre-loaders and local sorters just walking out.

As far as the contract with Req 8's and 9.5's... who are we going to give the work too? Most are working until 8 or later every night with everyone working.

Last thing, if you are one of the drivers filing for 9.5 violation and you are doing less work then before (smaller area cause every route is in and you have 20 more stops...not 75 more!) then you better look in the mirror before you talk about being an essential worker/hero. A lot of you are just doing it to get paid (Hero Pay..ya right, greedy more like it) cause everyone else is doing it. I have lost respect for more than a few of my drivers and believe you me, I will not forget it and I am sure there are many other management people that feel the same way.

Maybe if you honored the contract and properly staffed your operation, we wouldn’t have to file 9 5 grievances. But nope. The company has sat idle until the free period. The TCDs will save the day. Not gonna happen. And no I will not be working a Saturday until Christmas. The company’s stance that people order to much is a joke. This is a delivery company. Delivery the packages. Don’t roll them...

Ghost in the Darkness

We never had respect for you. The :censored2: we have trying to run our center gets taken to the woodshed everyday by us drivers. He can't even handle his sups, his dispatcher needs a babysitter and he loves to pass his screwups on to us. My advice for him and you is don't bite the hand that feeds.

Since we are out working on Saturdays maybe management and the union could get off their asses ON A SATURDAY and hold their meetings to honor the contract they so badly had to have and forced on us regarding the 22.4s.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe if you honored the contract and properly staffed your operation, we wouldn’t have to file 9 5 grievances. But nope. The company has sat idle until the free period. The TCDs will save the day. Not gonna happen. And no I will not be working a Saturday until Christmas. The company’s stance that people order to much is a joke. This is a delivery company. Delivery the packages. Don’t roll them...
This is a logistics company. Which has no clue how to handle anything out of the ordinary. Lovely isn’t it?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You know perfectly well that ups does everything in its power to keep staffing levels below minimal. The union gave you, on a silver platter, the right to hire cheaper drivers, and you guys still balk at staffing properly. Management has no one to blame but themselves for the position the company is in.

You depend on the workers to bail you out of the hole you dug yourselves after constantly treating us with zero respect, working us excessive hours for months, and you have the gall to say you've lost respect for people who try to enforce the contract you signed?

Using 9.5 and 8 hrs is a matter of survival right now. If you guys don't stop making excuses and do your jobs, you are going to be up to your ears in workers comp claims, then you'll really be drowning in packages.

And you are kidding yourself that a smaller area with more stops is less work. It's just less time to recuperate between stops.

tramtwo

You don't expect to run your trucks more miles without putting in more fuel do you? If you run that truck more miles it's going to wear out faster isn't it? 60 to 70 hours a week in this Southern Heat how much do you think the human body can take? Labor is constantly treated as an inexhaustible commodity with laughable metrics. You brick the truck and then give me a computer system that says my first stop is on a 6000 shelf? 35 miles 200 stops... 55 business with 15 pickups and 380 pieces. 90 degree heat 90% humidity I give you 23 stops an hour and your computer says I'm an hour and a half over? Ridiculous. Damn right I'm filing on everything. Because the company has decided to become a 7-Day operation, out of necessity probably.... doesn't mean that you can have a seven-day-a-week worker. I'm not just standing in the air conditioning with an orange apron on.

Last edited:

vvv

YOU lost respect for the drivers, along with other management. Hey buddy, who cares what you all think of them or what you won't forget. We don't forget things either and maybe this is why they are playing their hand now.

Under normal times and conditions management very rarely honors the contractual 8 hour requests along with 9.5's anyway. And it's always a pissing match if you file a grievance and try to get paid....especially within a fair and reasonable time frame. As UPS believes in "GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT" instead of the other way around. And tries to avoid paying out a fairly filed grievance at all costs.

And with you all doing that guess what, we in turn lost respect for yourselves long long ago. But now it's being played against you so the drivers are looked at as bums. Oh well....too bad.

We have heard for so many years what YOU and YOUR NUMBERS expect us to do in 8 or 9.5 hours which is total nonsense, but not what we are truly capable of doing within that time frame. So save your crying partner as it doesn't hold any weight.

I have actually been playing fair and straight during this time, but after reading your horse :censored2: post, you may have very well costed the company another headache as I'll probably let them know I will start filing on 8's and 9.5's

You guys just never know when to shut your mouths and show some damn appreciation. Feel fortunate that a boatload of drivers don't go this route now.

Last edited: