Syracuse, NY is now a 6 day work week for all drivers

vvv

You know perfectly well that ups does everything in its power to keep staffing levels below minimal. The union gave you, on a silver platter, the right to hire cheaper drivers, and you guys still balk at staffing properly. Management has no one to blame but themselves for the position the company is in.

You depend on the workers to bail you out of the hole you dug yourselves after constantly treating us with zero respect, working us excessive hours for months, and you have the gall to say you've lost respect for people who try to enforce the contract you signed?

Using 9.5 and 8 hrs is a matter of survival right now. If you guys don't stop making excuses and do your jobs, you are going to be up to your ears in workers comp claims, then you'll really be drowning in packages.

And you are kidding yourself that a smaller area with more stops is less work. It's just less time to recuperate between stops.

I would like to give 2 "WINNERS" if it allowed for it.....well said.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Why does everyone think management is doing this just to punish the drivers and inside employees?

We are in unprecedented territory over the last couple of months in regards to package volume, we are trying not to roll packages but it is happening as you know due to Covid 19, working from home, quarantined, kids home, there are some things you can only get on line no stores in the area have it, period.

We cannot hire people fast enough even if we are hiring in your area. A lot of people are not even applying because they are making so much more money on unemployment.

I am only seeing 3-5 people on the initial HR interview vs 10-15 as in the past.

We are not lowering our standards and I am totally on board with that, we have had to DQ a couple of insiders because the created even more work while on road. New pre-loaders and local sorters just walking out.

We get that you are exhausted, guess what, so are we.

As far as the contract with Req 8's and 9.5's... who are we going to give the work too? Most are working until 8 or later every night with everyone working.

Last thing, if you are one of the drivers filing for 9.5 violation and you are doing less work then before (smaller area cause every route is in and you have 20 more stops...not 75 more!) then you better look in the mirror before you talk about being an essential worker/hero. A lot of you are just doing it to get paid (Hero Pay..ya right, greedy more like it) cause everyone else is doing it. I have lost respect for more than a few of my drivers and believe you me, I will not forget it and I am sure there are many other management people that feel the same way.

You more than likely don't care, but there it is........
Please, please staff the building properly. For the love of god, please staff the building.....
You’re making us hate our jobs.
These are unprecedented times, you’re right.
So maybe we should make some unprecedented moves.
Thin out the management herd. Waaaaay too many guys who have never delivered a box making decisions FOR me.
Top dogs take a pay cut, since they are contributing absolutely zilch to us getting through this....
Use the money to hire us some :censored2: Teamsters
Reap the benefits of happier employees
Less stress on you
Please, staff the damn building
Literally the worst possible time for UPS to be giving it to us up the ass and we are being exploited like cheap hookers (ok, maybe expensive hookers)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Please, please staff the building properly. For the love of god, please staff the building.....
You’re making us hate our jobs.
These are unprecedented times, you’re right.
So maybe we should make some unprecedented moves.
Thin out the management herd. Waaaaay too many guys who have never delivered a box making decisions FOR me.
Top dogs take a pay cut, since they are contributing absolutely zilch to us getting through this....
Use the money to hire us some :censored2: Teamsters
Reap the benefits of happier employees
Less stress on you
Please, staff the damn building
Literally the worst possible time for UPS to be giving it to us up the ass and we are being exploited like cheap hookers (ok, maybe expensive hookers)
We had the staffing for the first 3-4 weeks but they refused to rent any trucks. So instead of going on 12 weeks of this we should be going on 8ish.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why does everyone think management is doing this just to punish the drivers and inside employees?

We are in unprecedented territory over the last couple of months in regards to package volume, we are trying not to roll packages but it is happening as you know due to Covid 19, working from home, quarantined, kids home, there are some things you can only get on line no stores in the area have it, period.

We cannot hire people fast enough even if we are hiring in your area. A lot of people are not even applying because they are making so much more money on unemployment.

I am only seeing 3-5 people on the initial HR interview vs 10-15 as in the past.

We are not lowering our standards and I am totally on board with that, we have had to DQ a couple of insiders because the created even more work while on road. New pre-loaders and local sorters just walking out.

As far as the contract with Req 8's and 9.5's... who are we going to give the work too? Most are working until 8 or later every night with everyone working.

Last thing, if you are one of the drivers filing for 9.5 violation and you are doing less work then before (smaller area cause every route is in and you have 20 more stops...not 75 more!) then you better look in the mirror before you talk about being an essential worker/hero. A lot of you are just doing it to get paid (Hero Pay..ya right, greedy more like it) cause everyone else is doing it. I have lost respect for more than a few of my drivers and believe you me, I will not forget it and I am sure there are many other management people that feel the same way.

I love how management admitting they know it sucks somehow absolves them from any responsibility in their mind.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me

The biggest problem I have is that respect part. Respect to the driver, the preloader, the contract. There's a lack of it. Most of us have worked 55+ hours every week. Thats not being home to have dinner with our family, see our kids, have a life. We are literally working, coming home, sleep, work again and this has been like this since February, after coming off the heaviest peak ups has ever seen. Here's the kicker, no one knows when this will end.

Hire more people, create more full time routes. I have yet see my management show up early, or leave late. There's no mgt in sight when I get back to the building at 10pm. Yet we all are going out with 80 to 100 stops heavier and still getting complained to: "Why were you 35m over?".

If you want respect start earning it. Have conversations with your drivers. "Hey I know you've been heavy the last few weeks, getting back late everyday, I really appreciate it, I'm going to work on getting you back earlier" and than actually do it. Instead of conversations about overallowed, we have conversations if there is a service or safety issue you've noticed, if any. Things that actually matter.

Maybe you're a good manager, maybe you are trying your best. Most of us don't have that experience.

Lastly, us drivers that are on 9.5, its not because we want more money by filing grievances. We are on it because we value things other than just working. We value our families, getting a good night's rest etc. We file 9.5 to protect ourselves. Its not our fault that ups agreed it was a monetary gain.

MethodsMan

Sounds like someone is about to have a mental breakdown.

report at 5am sharp

You want to run it 6 days like peak? Then get the rentals and the 16 drivers we need. Then I will think about coming in on Saturday. Until then Dragon, go pound one out in the bathroom while we are out there delivering what we can.

You know perfectly well that ups does everything in its power to keep staffing levels below minimal. The union gave you, on a silver platter, the right to hire cheaper drivers, and you guys still balk at staffing properly. Management has no one to blame but themselves for the position the company is in.

You depend on the workers to bail you out of the hole you dug yourselves after constantly treating us with zero respect, working us excessive hours for months, and you have the gall to say you've lost respect for people who try to enforce the contract you signed?

Using 9.5 and 8 hrs is a matter of survival right now. If you guys don't stop making excuses and do your jobs, you are going to be up to your ears in workers comp claims, then you'll really be drowning in packages.

And you are kidding yourself that a smaller area with more stops is less work. It's just less time to recuperate between stops.
More walking and less driving, it does wonders on the knees and ankles.

The Driver

I drive.

Alright, tough guy. You would've puked on yourself if you had to run my route yesterday.

"Less work than before" my ass. Buzz off.

This is a logistics company. Which has no clue how to handle anything out of the ordinary. Lovely isn’t it?
Just like the week after Black Friday
[
Alright, tough guy. You would've puked on yourself if you had to run my route yesterday.

"Less work than before" my ass. Buzz off.
Totally agree. They have done ZERO to honor anyone on the 9 5 list. Absolutely nothing. Read the language. Properly staff the buildings. Nah. Just bitch about everyone filing. Either pay grievances or hire. And get the package car builder on the horn. Because we are gonna need some cars. Not just where I’m located. Everywhere

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

You're right, I don't care. I don't consider myself some sort of "covid hero". I don't want recognition, some smarmy feel good thank-you commercial or some sort of pat on the ass from my supervisors. I come in and deliver boxes, pick some up, then go home. I'm on the 9.5 list so I don't break down, get into an accident and can actually see my young family because I know if I do physically break down or have an accident, management will sell me up the river in a heartbeat. Call me selfish but if the young runner-gunner-lunch-skipper in a Penske wants to be out until 10pm every night, I don't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

I don't care and let's be honest, neither do you.

textat3

Just work your 8-10 hours and come in....tell management can can no longer safely do the job and go home..we have drivers do it all the time...nothing is ever said...then again we are in local 639...they won’t even scan the packages missed....just load on top tomorrow. Nobody cares at all in DC metro. Don’t try to be a hero, just do your best and come on in when you are no longer feeling it. Burtonville MD has had managers walk off the job.

You're right, I don't care. I don't consider myself some sort of "covid hero". I don't want recognition, some smarmy feel good thank-you commercial or some sort of pat on the ass from my supervisors. I come in and deliver boxes, pick some up, then go home. I'm on the 9.5 list so I don't break down, get into an accident and can actually see my young family because I know if I do physically break down or have an accident, management will sell me up the river in a heartbeat. Call me selfish but if the young runner-gunner-lunch-skipper in a Penske wants to be out until 10pm every night, I don't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

I don't care and let's be honest, neither do you.
We had two accidents and five injures this week...
Wonder why.....