Syria

10 Pt

Could it be that the tomahawk targets were surgical strikes that were carefully guided so as to minimize civilian casualties, reduce the hardened bunker citadels and completely miss all Russian troops and property in the area.
We know what we were watching to strike and avoid. This barrage was not to wipe out the base and strips or we would have done it.
We have plenty of time and plenty of resources.

wkmac

I asked you first. Maybe their cockpit seats were heated and the Syrians had vinyl or non heated cloth ones?

I've already stated I don't know. I wondered just how many planes Syria had so I did some searching and those were the sources I used which I footnoted in my post. Others are free to post other information that contradicts or discredits those sources if they wish.

BTW: I posted sources for my claims so could you post sources for the claims you made that the Russians supplied the Syrians with aircraft?

Last edited:

10 Pt

I've already stated I don't know. I wondered just how many planes Syria had so I did some searching and those were the sources I used which I footnoted in my post. Others are free to post other information that contradicts or discredits those sources if they wish.

BTW: I posted sources for my claims so could you post sources for the claims you made that the Russians supplied the Syrians with aircraft?
No. The Russians brought their own planes and pilots. It's been in the news for months and they've been careful to avoid our advisory troops on the ground in their bombing of anti-Assad fighters and (if not the same) ISIS.

wkmac

No. The Russians brought their own planes and pilots. It's been in the news for months and they've been careful to avoid our advisory troops on the ground in their bombing of anti-Assad fighters and (if not the same) ISIS.

OK, that sounds better. The sources I posted I doubt counted those Russian planes in the Syrian inventory so the number I gave would likely not reflect those numbers. Now that is a guess on my part as I read nothing in the reports noting Russian aircraft.

The reason the Russians have a material interest in Syria is a desire for a natural gas pipeline from Iran to Europe that goes through Syria. Syria and Iran have a relationship as both have a very strong Shia Islamic culture and therefore connected. The various factions fighting against the Syrian gov't are Sunni Muslim with strong backing from Saudi Arabian interests. Turkey has an interest not only for its own Sunni reasons but as much as it relates to Turkey's opposition to all things Kurdish. The US and Saudi interests are for a natural gas pipeline coming out of Qatar and also traversing through Syria and continuing into Europe. Both Iran and Qatar are drawing natural gas from the same gas field so if one pipeline is blocked while the other goes through this leaves the survivor to scoop up the entire natural gas field. Money and Power once again.

With all these factions and self interests at play, truth is the last thing all of them want out on the table for the rest of us to see.

BrownArmy

your guy didn't win. mine did. If you need a few pointers on how to pick a winner next time let me know.

Your guy's spokesman evidently didn't realize that Hitler used chemicals to kill several million people.

Exactly what are you defending?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your guy's spokesman evidently didn't realize that Hitler used chemicals to kill several million people.
My wife and I got a big "guffaw" when we heard that.
We turned and looked at each other and both busted out laughing.
In hindsight, Spicey has got to be feeling a bit sheepish.

moreluck

golden ticket member
He mis-spoke no one here has ever done that before!!
He's unscripted, rushed, and thinking on your feet is hard work. He needs to keep it simple. The press seems not to have info as their goal...it's more like "let's see if we can trip up Sean."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He's unscripted, rushed, and thinking on your feet is hard work. He needs to keep it simple. The press seems not to have info as their goal...it's more like "let's see if we can trip up Sean."

I think Spicer should consider himself fortunate that breathing is an involuntary function.

It will be fine

That's not how press briefings work. A competent press secretary goes over all his talking points with his staff before taking the stage. Spicey workshopped his Hitler comparison, it wasn't just off the top of his head. It was idiotic.