T-S but on call for Mondays?

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
The OP needs to be REAL careful about taking "unpaid" time off...especially when the wife and new baby are running up medical bills.

Will you and your family have health insurance during this "unpaid" time off?

First off, @PackageBoy17 congratulations. Hopefully, you've gotten a lot of good information from this thread. The above I believe is perhaps the most crucial. There could be a very slim margin for keeping your current health care fully intact with no additional out of pocket expenses, while your wife is going through the pregnancy and birth of your child. Things get even more complicated due to your seniority level and not knowing how much work will exist for you in the short term. Trickpony1 brings up what I think is most important. Being able to care for your new family. I’d suggest getting real hard data from whomever administers your health care, regarding what hours/days you need to work in order to maintain steady healthcare. Do hours bank? Things are vastly different depending on where you are located and there may even be multiple tiers of health care where you are.

Best of luck.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Some riders have call in language. Also what is well in advance of the day? There is no 24hr notice.

I doubt that any riders have call in language for days off. Schedules need to be posted the Friday prior. If he is not on the schedule to work his day off, he is under no obligation to call in. They can call him and ask him to work, or possibly force him, but he need not answer his phone.

542thruNthru

I doubt that any riders have call in language for days off. Schedules need to be posted the Friday prior. If he is not on the schedule to work his day off, he is under no obligation to call in. They can call him and ask him to work, or possibly force him, but he need not answer his phone.

I doubt it as well but I'd rather be sure before risking anything is all.

There has been many time on this site I thought to myself there is no way his contract has that language. Then I'd look like a jack ass when they did lol :)

542thruNthru

I believe and don't quote me on this, that JC3 has some sort of on call language in their Rider.

Don't have time to look but I seem to remember something about it.

I believe he said they called him in the beginning. Now he's being instructed to call in.

I'm waiting for @PackageBoy17 to tell us what rider or JC he is under so that we can look at his language.

If he's under mine (southwest package) then no they can not instruct him to call in. Also he would be entitled to double time working Monday and should file a grievance for all the money he is owed. Also that Cover Drivers should be working Mondays before he is forced.

I'm sure you're probably correct but before we give him advice to tell his management team to shove it. We should get all the information first.
J.C. 3 Rider. Yep that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish here. Find out my rights and make sure they're enforced but it's hard when my rights are confusing. Hence your guys's help here which I appreciate

First off, @PackageBoy17 congratulations. Hopefully, you've gotten a lot of good information from this thread. The above I believe is perhaps the most crucial. There could be a very slim margin for keeping your current health care fully intact with no additional out of pocket expenses, while your wife is going through the pregnancy and birth of your child. Things get even more complicated due to your seniority level and not knowing how much work will exist for you in the short term. Trickpony1 brings up what I think is most important. Being able to care for your new family. I’d suggest getting real hard data from whomever administers your health care, regarding what hours/days you need to work in order to maintain steady healthcare. Do hours bank? Things are vastly different depending on where you are located and there may even be multiple tiers of health care where you are.

Best of luck.
As a 22.4 I'm entitled to 40 hours a week keeping me at full time and eligible for benefits. But I'll definitely be looking into getting the week off paternity in writing making sure I keep my benefits. I appreciate the help

542thruNthru

Dang that's my rider. I'm gonna try and search for it again tonight.

First go here and download the National Master, Western Region and JC3.
UPS and UPS Freight Agreements, 2018 – 2023

You can be forced to work Monday.
Screenshot_20200120-121031_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

And if they call you they must give you at least 1 hour.
Screenshot_20200120-121228_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

But with a quick glance I have seen no language that says you must call them. So you need to speak with a steward about this. If you are not Scheduled to work Monday I would not call them. They may be scheduling you 6 days a week and asking you to call monday to see if actually needed though. Again talk to a steward about this.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I believe and don't quote me on this, that JC3 has some sort of on call language in their Rider.

Don't have time to look but I seem to remember something about it.

"On call" is different than "call in", and it still has to be scheduled as an on call day, and it would have to be a regular work day. If It's anything like the language in my rider they can only schedule the two lowest drivers on the dispatch as "on call". They abuse the hell out of that language, and no one has challenged them on it.

They avoid paying the 4 hrs for "on call" time by not disciplining people for not calling in. That's not in the contract, it was a decision reached at a panel. How would the average person know that's how it works?

Anyway, if they want to put him on the schedule for Monday as an "on call" (which I don't think they can, either scheduled to work or not, following seniority rules) driver, they have to do it on Friday. And they need to call him if they need him, or he can call in at noon to make sure they don't need him.

This is the first major issue I plan on tackling in my local. They expect to have an "on call" work force available at their beck and call, but don't want to pay anything for having people sit around and wait on them. That's not how it works. Everyone needs to be scheduled by the Friday before as "working", "laid off", or "on call" if they do it properly.

They can tell you the day before that they don't need you if they have you on the schedule as working. If they have you as laid off they can call and ask if you want to work, but can't discipline you for not answering or not agreeing to work. That's my local, anyway, and I think our "on call" language is the same as theirs.

watdaflock?

Tough guy over the internet. Lolol. My 75-100 9.5 and harassment grievance checks upstairs in a shoebox tell a different story. If this kid continues to play a mark, then that’s exactly what he will be his entire career.

I don’t care what the language says, if they get him on a Saturday that’s one thing. But to think he has some responsibility to phone in on his day off, or answer his phone on his day off is laughable.
Why in the heck would you keep checks in a shoebox upstairs?