Tattoo policy

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We've got a dude here with tats on his face, tasteful tats like tear drops and knives and a naked lady, and he wants to go driving... he'll fit right in with all the beardos and hair bears.
Question... are there any orthodox Jew drivers who get off early enough to get home before Sundown on Friday to observe the Sabbath?
Code Ohvey?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
There not even letting drivers wear these at my building must wear the long sleeves
That sucks, you must work in the Bible Belt. I wore that exact same sleeve through my first year of driving no questions asked.

Then one day I said friend that and went in tatted sleeve an all and they haven't said anything. Our district probably has the strongest union in the nation. Management simply does not mess with petty b.s. such as tattoos to avoid the storm from the local.

KOG72

I’m full of it
That sucks, you must work in the Bible Belt. I wore that exact same sleeve through my first year of driving no questions asked.

Then one day I said friend that and went in tatted sleeve an all and they haven't said anything. Our district probably has the strongest union in the nation. Management simply does not mess with petty b.s. such as tattoos to avoid the storm from the local.
Basically this just started got a new center manager who goes by the book.If its not UPS issued you can't wear it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It
There was some confusion in my center over this issue; at first, our veteran drivers were told that they would be grandfathered in and would not have to cover them. We then got a new center manager who told them that they would have to cover them up. We have since gone back to the double standard of allowing the veterans to leave them exposed while requiring the newbies to cover them up.

I have little sympathy for those who have more ink than the guy who runs the Tilt a Whirl at the county fair.
It isn't a "double standard."
Employees are required to follow the written guidelines that were in place at the time they were hired.
Visible tats were allowed when I got hired, therefore the company cannot retroactively change the rules for people who were hired prior to the change in policy.
Newer employees...post-2004 I believe...were made aware of the new policy at the time they were hired, and agreed to follow it as a condition of their employment.

It

It isn't a "double standard."
Employees are required to follow the written guidelines that were in place at the time they were hired.
Visible tats were allowed when I got hired, therefore the company cannot retroactively change the rules for people who were hired prior to the change in policy.
Newer employees...post-2004 I believe...were made aware of the new policy at the time they were hired, and agreed to follow it as a condition of their employment.
I hate to argue with you-really-but it is THEIR company and if they choose to change policies they certainly can. Of course, you are free to have your own opinion.

Rack em

Made the Podium
While I feel the tattoo policy is outdated, it is still a policy people are aware of when they take the job. If you don't want to comply then find a new job. There are plenty of people who will gladly take $35+ an hour to deliver cardboard without showing visable ink.

soberups

I hate to argue with you-really-but it is THEIR company and if they choose to change policies they certainly can. Of course, you are free to have your own opinion.
It may be their company but the conditions of our employment with their company are subject to a collective bargaining agreement that they agreed to enter into and are therefore required to follow. And that is an established fact, not just my opinion.

over9five

Staff member
The tractor shop is now authorized to remove your visible tattoos.
No appointment necessary, only takes a minute!

serveimage.jpg

soberups

Their appearance standards are non-negotiable.
You couldnt be more wrong.

Art 16 of the Western Supplement allows the company to establish "reasonable" appearance standards. So it already has been negotiated.

Is it reasonable to inform prospective new hires that covering visible tats is a condition of employment? Yes.

Is it reasonable to hire and then allow an employee to work with visible tats for 20 years, only to inform him that he must start wearing pants or long sleeves in 100 degree weather? No.

And in addition to being unreasonable, it would also be a violation of Art 23 Maintainence Of Standards.

My guess is that your area has similar conract language.