Teamster conflict of interest on a local level

satellitedriver

Ok, Eng, if this is true, why can a friend of mine retire last yr at age 58 with 31 yrs in, get 3100 bucks? Why can I retire now with 29 yrs and 2900 bucks? True or false? I just called and got confirmation. Age? 59. Pension fund? Central States. Geez, maybe you're in the wrong Central States. OK, be that as it may, I ain't gonna argue bout it cuz I checked on it and all the retirees I know are getting like amounts...all under 62 and 65, what about medical.

Is this a pension reduction? Sure, I agree that insurance used to be $50 but, come on, get real! Where can you go anymore for 50 smackers a month for coverage? Are they taking this out of my pension? NO! I choose or NOT choose to buy insurance! Maybe I am covered by my spouses insurance! It doesn't seem to be a reduction in my pension benefits...only if I choose!

Check on the salaries of the BA's where I live? Didn't bother to check? How presumtuous!!! Do I act like I've been living under a rock the last few yrs? Of course I know what my BA's make! We just had one retire, yes, I thought about accepting. We just had two package drivers accept BA's position. Do I know? Give me a break!

Your BA shows up once in a while and just shakes your hand and leaves? Man! If that would happen here...I'd corner him and make him answer to a LOT of questions! In fact, that's EXACTLY what we did and ALL the BA's here stand up when we speak! Maybe you should be as assertive there as you are here!

I'm being naive and thinking he's working for free? Did I say that? I asked for proof that he's double dipping and conducting council business on BA business time! You missed what I said before about conducting council business in off hours. Is this the case? It ain't been proved to me yet.

Look, Eng, you want proof, answers, I do too. Let's have some.

For your info, no, I'm not a paid Teamster official. Just a grunt. Feeder driver, sleeper team to be more exact with 29 yrs
Just go to centralstatesfunds.org. Punch in you info and see your benefit. Then read where it says to deduct 6% for every year under 62 and if you want your wife to recieve 1/2 of your pension deduct another 15%. I did the math for you $2900.00 minus 15% =$2465.00 Minus 6% every for 3 yrs under 62 yrs old= $2021.30 a month. . Class 18 has to pay $230 a month for every covered party. If you are married that would be $460 a month for medical
So, $2021.30 X 12 months = $ 24,255.60 a year. 10% federal tax bracket taken off the top = $21,830.00. Now subtract the medical ($460X12= $5520.00) $21,830.00 minus $5520.00 = $16,310.00. Divide $16,310.00 by 52weeks and it = $313.65 a week. If you die, your widow gets 1/2. I am not a union offical either, but I can read the rules and do the math.

18wheelbrownie

Just go to centralstatesfunds.org. Punch in you info and see your benefit. Then read where it says to deduct 6% for every year under 62 and if you want your wife to recieve 1/2 of your pension deduct another 15%. I did the math for you $2900.00 minus 15% =$2465.00 Minus 6% every for 3 yrs under 62 yrs old= $2021.30 a month. . Class 18 has to pay $230 a month for every covered party. If you are married that would be $460 a month for medical
So, $2021.30 X 12 months = $ 24,255.60 a year. 10% federal tax bracket taken off the top = $21,830.00. Now subtract the medical ($460X12= $5520.00) $21,830.00 minus $5520.00 = $16,310.00. Divide $16,310.00 by 52weeks and it = $313.65 a week. If you die, your widow gets 1/2. I am not a union offical either, but I can read the rules and do the math.

all pkg drs. should take note of this, even if your tire of delivering and want to leave after 20 yrs. at what ever age , you are losing, its just a matter of time before it happens to all benefit and pension plans!!!!!!!!

Engineer 79, are you a member of 769? That is the area the ba is in and he does a great job for his members, they are well represented in his buildings. I know a few of his stewards. He also negotiates contracts and I believe that local is the 2nd largest local union in the south. They also have a fulltime labor attorney on staff there! Pretty impressive huh? I bet he shouldnt be paid over 25,000 a year either? What does your division manmager make a year, does he drive a lexus and wife drive a jaguar, mine does, convertables ya know! I hope you also know that the international and the local union encourage local union members (they also give grants from the drive fund) and officers to run for political office. He ran and I believe he is on his second or third term and he does this in the evenings during the week, most cities have night meetings once a week or so. Do you belong to DRIVE, probably a good bet reading your past posts that you dont care about the political arena? Hell the way I hear it this Business agent and councilman has taken a position in his city that all construction work in his area has to be bid by Union labor, that is pretty good for the AMERICAN labor force huh? I bet if you needed him regarding something in his city he would be there for you, not bad for his members huh? If there were more politicians like him who believe in the union movement and organized labor maybe we could get some legislation passed to help us poor working slobs and not just the big corporations (UPS included) who make billions on are back. Kudos to the Local Union BA and councilman who put his time in to attend meetings and attempt to make a difference in his members lifes!!!

BTW I hope he does get another salary as he is working for it by putting in his own time. I bet he doesnt have time to surf the web, he is out representing you from your company, because they treat you so good....

Bill

Engineer 79, are you a member of 769? That is the area the ba is in and he does a great job for his members, they are well represented in his buildings. I know a few of his stewards. He also negotiates contracts and I believe that local is the 2nd largest local union in the south. They also have a fulltime labor attorney on staff there! Pretty impressive huh? I bet he shouldnt be paid over 25,000 a year either? What does your division manmager make a year, does he drive a lexus and wife drive a jaguar, mine does, convertables ya know! I hope you also know that the international and the local union encourage local union members (they also give grants from the drive fund) and officers to run for political office. He ran and I believe he is on his second or third term and he does this in the evenings during the week, most cities have night meetings once a week or so. Do you belong to DRIVE, probably a good bet reading your past posts that you dont care about the political arena? Hell the way I hear it this Business agent and councilman has taken a position in his city that all construction work in his area has to be bid by Union labor, that is pretty good for the AMERICAN labor force huh? I bet if you needed him regarding something in his city he would be there for you, not bad for his members huh? If there were more politicians like him who believe in the union movement and organized labor maybe we could get some legislation passed to help us poor working slobs and not just the big corporations (UPS included) who make billions on are back. Kudos to the Local Union BA and councilman who put his time in to attend meetings and attempt to make a difference in his members lifes!!!

BTW I hope he does get another salary as he is working for it by putting in his own time. I bet he doesnt have time to surf the web, he is out representing you from your company, because they treat you so good....
The city that he is in has a history of being corrupt. The last two mayors were indicted for corruption and bribery. He is as corrupt in this city as he is representing Ups people.

canon

How predictable! Anyway, Sat..."Competing against union labor"? Sweeping floors? Here? Hotel workers? That'll be the day that hotel workers become ANY kind of union here. We have plenty of retirees sweeping, mopping floors, cleaning rooms, etc.

We were told working would be very restricted too. Not sure when this was printed, but it helps outline what ppl are talking about:

What is the reemployment rule and how does it affect me?

The reemployment rule restricts retirees from working in certain jobs if they receive a Central States pension.

Originally, the reemployment rule was designed to protect Teamsters by making sure the pension fund wasn’t subsidizing the nonunion competition. The idea was to prevent a Teamster from taking a pension and then going to work for lower wages with a competing nonunion company.

But today, the trustees are abusing the rule by banning retired Teamsters from working in almost any imaginable kind of employment. Teamsters have been told that they cannot work as custodians, hardware store clerks, or even on their family farm (because the Teamsters organize farm workers!)

The purpose of the reemployment rule is no longer to protect Teamster members. The purpose is to save money for the Fund by preventing Teamsters from retiring, especially to prevent us from retiring early with 30- or 25-and-out.

We have fought, and our union has fought, to win good pension benefits. We have diverted money that could have gone into our wages to provide early retirement, so members can leave hard physical jobs while they can still enjoy life.

When unfair rules effectively prevent people from retiring, they defeat the purpose of our long history of fighting for good pensions at 25 or 30 and out.

Don’t all Teamster pension funds have reemployment rules?

Definitely not. The same Teamster officials who defend the overly restrictive Central States reemployment rules are participants in a special officers-only pension fund with no reemployment restrictions whatsoever.

The Central States reemployment rules are far more restrictive than those of other Teamster funds. The other large Teamster fund, the Western Conference Fund, has a much more reasonable rule, and they just loosened their restrictions.

A few years ago, our social security system completely eliminated the reemployment rule. You can collect your full social security while working at your present job or any other job.

But in recent years, the Central States Fund has moved in the opposite direction, making its reemployment rules more strict.

CSPIC’s goal is to restore fairness to the reemployment rule and make sure that any rules are truly designed to protect Teamsters, not prevent us from retiring.

I’ve heard Teamster officials claim they fixed the reemployment rule, by reversing the new restrictions they added last July.

The trustees did suspend—not reverse—certain changes made in the rules last year after Teamster members expressed outrage at the new restrictions and CSPIC submitted more than 10,000 petition signatures. As a result, retired Teamsters can now work for the government without jeopardizing their pension.

CSPIC was happy to win this improvement, but it is only the beginning of what is needed. The fund trustees added several new restrictions last year, and only rescinded one. The worst parts of the reemployment rules are still in effect.

The fund still prohibits virtually every kind of employment. CSPIC has documented cases of retirees who, despite appeals, were denied the right to work at hardware stores, Walmart, a boat marina, a lawn-care business, on a family farm, as custodians, as political consultants, and lots more.

You can learn more by reading the stories of some of the plaintiffs in our lawsuit. These are retired Teamsters who worked to build up our union, and our pension fund. Some were forced to retire when their companies closed. Now they have been forced to pay back tens of thousands of dollars in pension money that they earned.

CSPIC is organizing to win justice for these Teamsters and thousands more like them. And we are organizing for fair reemployment rules to make sure that similar abuses don’t happen to Teamsters in the future.
They still have a petition you can sign too

Bill

I have heard many of the UPS employees griping that Roly and many of the BA's that are supposed to represent them go through the motions. How many of the grievances do you win? A small percentage!!!!! It has become clear to most of us that the Teamsters are spewing propaganda, because they have absolutely nothing to offer anymore. Only a handful of sheep such as yourself believe and back the Teamsters no matter what they do or say. The lies are getting old. I have already proven to you many points, but you choose to close your eyes. You don't look at the references or web pages I direct you to. Instead, you twist things around. Are you a BA in the Teamsters or a shop steward? Did you actually go to the web page that for Hialeah Gardens? He is not giving his time to be a good samaratan. He is getting a salary (probably a small one), but the point is that he is working another job when we are restricted. Oh, and let's not forget the reason people go into politics. How about all the money he receives to influence his vote.

raceanoncr

A Teamster business agent from Local 769 also is employed by the City of Hialeah Gardens. He is paid over $82,000 per year by the Teamsters (your money) and also moonlights as a councilman for this city receiving another paycheck and possibly another pension. You can verify this by going to City of Hialeah Gardens.. If government business usually takes place during business hours, then he is not doing his job at the Teamsters that he is getting paid to do. Now we know that he has two jobs, collecting two salaries and pensions. What else does he have his hands in? Is this a conflict of interest? He is supposed to be representing you, but his time is being spent on other endeavors. We, on the other hand, have been told we can't retire and receive a full pension until age 65. We can't take another job either after retirement. We have all these restrictions, but when it comes to the Teamster leaders, they can do whatever they like! If they are supposed to lead by example, then they are confusing us. They must believe the saying: Do as I say, not as I do. :mad:

Teamster BA and Hialeah City Councilman:
"Pack my lunch, dear, I'm heading off to my other job".

Wife:
"Other job? What other job? I thought you were going to the city council meeting tonight?"

BA:
"Well, I am, but some people think this is a job so that's what I called it tonight, sorry!"

Wife:
"How ridiculous! You were elected to that position and are compensated, albeit, meagerly, for your 2 hours a week at these meetings!"

BA:
"I know, but some people don't realize that this is a service that I perform for the city and like to harrass me for it."

Wife:
"Where do they get such ideas?"

BA:
"Well, there's some people on Brown Cafe Forum, in particular a guy called Eng79, that call this a job, with two salaries and two pensions. When questioned on this, he just says go to the website and it'll PROVE it."

Wife:
"Well, let's see what it says on the website. Hmm, it doesn't say ANYTHING about pay. It also doesn't say anything about PENSIONS! You mean a pension for being a city councilman? A pension for two hrs of service a week? You MUST be kidding!"

BA:
"Oh, he seems to be serious! He says I have two jobs and two pensions! He also says that government business usually takes place during business hours so I am not taking care of Teamster duties!"

Wife:
"But almost every city with a council and council meetings have those at night, ususually once a week so that all the public can attend! And the city website says clearly that those meetings are on the first Monday of the week at 7:30 PM! Doesn't HE look at the website?"

BA:
"Well, evidently not! He thinks everyone else is so stupid that they won't go to prove him wrong. Why, he's even resorting to calling people names on the forum if they back him in a corner and try to get him to prove this! He is so filled with hatred for the Teamsters and anything associated with it that he'll believe any wind that blows this direction and expects everyone else to believe it. He says he is always right and always proves what he states but you and I know today that he doesn't prove anything and just rants and raves and curses and calls people names and expect them to follow him like he is their guru."

Wife:
"Well, I hope it doesn't bother you."

BA:
"No, I've seen his kind come and go. I just wish people like him would get their facts straight before accusing anyone of wrongdoing."

Wife:
"Well, have a good night serving the public."