Teamster UPS 401K - Prudential Financial

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
When you set up your contribution type with unique investment allocations you want to click after-tax correct? Thoughts? Or same across the board.
The most simple way to explain the the difference in the traditional and the ROTH programs is sometimes this: Putting the same %'s in: The traditional will lower your weekly take home check NOW by very little but putting it into the ROTH will make your check, today, that much smaller. So the ROTH for a younger worker counting those pennies for the family may not be the best choice. This is a crying shame because the ROTH would benefit the younger worker with many working years ahead of them more than the rest of us...IMO

Lose #1, 2, 6 and 7. Go 33% in both 3 and 4 with the remaining 34% in 5.

careful now! It is exactly that kind of thinking that made 2008 so horrible for for many at or close to retirement. Those who could not ride it out into 2012 and beyond and had to get out totally with staggering loses. #1 and #2 are wonderful for those close to retirement! Hell I trimmed 25% off the top in everyone of my "baskets" in January and dumped them there trying to lock in some of my 2017 gains! #6 show be on everyone's radar! Thinking the US markets are the "end all, be all" is Trumpian foolishness. I agree #7 is to risky even for me in this raising interest environment.

Basically.

They start out aggressive but become much more conservative toward the target date. You can beat this by choosing a later target date.

There was actually a study released last year or maybe 2016 that showed a rather large and scary number of target date funds not adjusting risk when they approached the target date!

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

The most simple way to explain the the difference in the traditional and the ROTH programs is sometimes this: Putting the same %'s in: The traditional will lower your weekly take home check NOW by very little but putting it into the ROTH will make your check, today, that much smaller. So the ROTH for a younger worker counting those pennies for the family may not be the best choice. This is a crying shame because the ROTH would benefit the younger worker with many working years ahead of them more than the rest of us...IMO

careful now! It is exactly that kind of thinking that made 2008 so horrible for for many at or close to retirement. Those who could not ride it out into 2012 and beyond and had to get out totally with staggering loses. #1 and #2 are wonderful for those close to retirement! Hell I trimmed 25% off the top in everyone of my "baskets" in January and dumped them there trying to lock in some of my 2017 gains! #6 show be on everyone's radar! Thinking the US markets are the "end all, be all" is Trumpian foolishness. I agree #7 is to risky even for me in this raising interest environment.

There was actually a study released last year or maybe 2016 that showed a rather large and scary number of target date funds not adjusting risk when they approached the target date!

As long as my health stays ok and I don't die I have a long ways to go. So, I'm going to leave mine in the more risky stuff right now but I did take away the US Reit contribution. My dad is getting close to retirement and he moved a lot of his stuff over to the more conservative bonds unfortunately he lost out on a lot of money last year but thats how the game goes!

As long as my health stays ok and I don't die I have a long ways to go. So, I'm going to leave mine in the more risky stuff but I did take away the US Reit contribution. My dad is getting close to retirement and he moved a lot of his stuff over to the more conservative bonds unfortunately he lost out on a lot of money last year but thats how the game goes!
Bonds are more riskier than stocks right now. I would only bit individual bonds, not a bond fund.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Bonds are more riskier than stocks right now. I would only bit individual bonds, not a bond fund.

My dad used Vanguard and loved them. He always told me you want something in International stocks!

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'm young and don't have a whole lot of experience dealing with this stuff, but it is unsettling seeing my personal performance negative. Went from a good year of 21% to so far this year -0.84%. These cap stock funds need to step their :censored2: up!

I'm young and don't have a whole lot of experience dealing with this stuff, but it is unsettling seeing my personal performance negative. Went from a good year of 21% to so far this year -0.84%. These cap stock funds need to step their :censored2: up!
You can't watch it every day. It will drive you nuts. Don't pull out if the market , if you can increase your contributions.

Trust me it was yard to watch my balance in 2007 get cut almost in half when the market bottomed out in March of 09.

Rack em

Made the Podium
You can't watch it every day. It will drive you nuts. Don't pull out if the market , if you can increase your contributions.

Trust me it was yard to watch my balance in 2007 get cut almost in half when the market bottomed out in March of 09.
This is actually the first time I looked at it in months, but I have always had good performance so it's weird seeing it negative. I never intended on pulling out at all (I said to her).

This is actually the first time I looked at it in months, but I have always had good performance so it's weird seeing it negative. I never intended on pulling out at all (I said to her).
That's because the market has been going up for 8+ years in a row. If it was that easy to make money , I wouldn't have to go to work.

You could have a few bad years in a row.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

It is the market not the fund. In 2017 Nasdaq was up 28%, the DOW 25% and the S&P 500 19%. +25% a year, every year is NOT sustainable! These last few weeks have been corrections, at least I hope they have been corrections and not something worse!

Next week we start hearing reports of earnings season. I think this is the first full quarter earnings of the new tax plan. Should be interesting. If the White House can keep out of the news for the next 3 weeks and the quarterlies come in as guided we should see some sweet bumps. Then follow that with the anticipated news releases of Divi bumps/share buybacks due to the tax policy, 2018 has potential!

Markets go up and markets go down. You are at the mercy of the market you choose.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was at just shy of 40% last year to just about breaking even this year. It happens.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

A lot of people are in the negative this year, last year is not the normal.