Teamsters endorse Joe Biden??

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
When Obama entered office in 2008 the SP 500 was at 1013...He left in 2016 it was up to 2122..= (+1109) in 8 years..

Trump entered 2016 with the SP 500 at 2122...Currently it is at 3238...= (+ 1116) in less than 4 years...even with a worldwide pandemic.

You have to look at the rest of the world economies and compare it to the U.S...to get a bigger picture on how we really did.

People will vote according to how we do financially...If our stock markets continue to go up and with that our individual 401K's the incumbent has the advantage...That is why the doom and gloom with the Democratic convention..to get people so miserable that they will be trying to find at a scapegoat.

Another factor is the declining death totals in the world and the potential pharmaceutical treatments and possible Vaccine at the beginning of 2021....

Things are lining up for Trump and they know it and therefore planting a seed of mistrust with the election results with their continuing harping about mail in voting. Again there no reason why they cannot vote in person or absentee voting, they are using this excuse of Covid to steal this election. We all do not how this virus will play out, whether it will have a comeback in the Fall or Winter, I hope not..But one thing for certain Trump and his team have prepared well for what they were dealing with...They made mistakes according to the data they were being feed by the WHO and China early on, even the smartest scientist in world were clueless on how this was spreading.

As far as the leadership of the Dems...back in January, February and March on the onset of this pandemic they were eagerly pursuing an impeachment of Trump and did not show any interest on what was going on in China till it bit them in their asses...Then they blamed it on Trump at their convention..Biden's solution "Nationwide Mask Mandate"/Nationwide closure on non-essential businesses and schools till a vaccine is approved and distributed"...

That's it folks...What the hell let us vote him in because he ain't Trump and roll the dice. He is such a nice guy (If calming words could end this virus...Yea, even I would vote for him too....

algojim

S&P 500 prices
Jan ‘08 1692.86
Jan ‘09 1013.35
Jan ‘10 1284.35
Jan ‘11 1513.76
Jan ‘12 1500.08
Jan ‘13 1685.37
Jan ‘14 1975.11
Jan ‘15 2212.44
Jan ‘16 2122.62

Total of 25% gain over 8 years, or 3% gain per year

Im having a hard time finding where obama grew the s&p by 56%, unless you cherry pick the low that he drove it to as the starting point, and use common core math.

Trumps effect on S&P500
Jan ‘17 2431.55 14% gain
Jan ‘18 2950.88 20% gain
Jan ‘19 2782.52 6% loss
Jan ‘20 3238.42 16% gain

Today 3397.16 a 5% gain from Jan with all the covid nonsense included.

40% gain over 4 years, or 10% gain per year.
Macrotrends.net/2324/sp-500-historical-chart-data
You got the starting point wrong and counted 9 years for Obama.

The presidency of Barack Obama began at noon EST (17:00 UTC) on January 20, 2009, when Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States, and ended on January 20, 2017

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Barack_Obama

I fixed it for you.

Start of presidency (Obama)
Change in S&P 500​
Time Frame​
% Change​
1013.35 to 1284.35​
jan 2009 to jan 2010​
+26.7%​
1284.35 to 1513.76​
jan 2010 to jan 2011​
+17.9%​
1513.76 to 1500.08​
jan 2011 to jan 2012​
- 00.9%​
1500.08 to 1685.37​
jan 2012 to jan 2013​
+12.4%​
+56.1% at the end of the first four years

Change in S&P 500​
Time Frame​
% Change​
1685.37 to 1975.11​
jan 2013 to jan 2014​
+17.1%​
1975.11 to 2212.44​
jan 2014 to jan 2015​
+12.0%​
2212.44 to 2122.62​
jan 2015 to jan 2016​
- 04.1%​
2122.62 to 2431.55​
jan 2016 to jan 2017​
+14.6%​
+39.6% after second four years
overall +95.7%

Start of presidency (Trump)
Change in S&P 500​
Time Frame​
% Change​
2431.55 to 2950.88​
jan 2017 to jan 2018​
+ 20%​
2950.88 to 2782.52​
jan 2018 to jan 2019​
- 06%​
2782.52 to 3238.42​
jan 2019 to jan 2020​
+16%​
3238.42 to 3397.17​
jan 2020 to now​
+04.9%​
+34.9% after 3.66 years

Taken from the link you posted Macrotrends.net/2324/sp-500-historical-chart-data

Last edited:

freehoodies

Prices of stocks change based on new information, so as soon as obama was elected the markets “priced in” expected changes to policy.

Same as how the stock market dropped when news of covid hit, before a single store got closed down.

Ignoring the fact that everyones portfolios had just lost a third of their value is misleading at best.

Unless you were fortunate/brave enough to have money to invest near the bottom of the market and held it until Trump won the election, you didn’t see a dime of those gains. You just watched your portfolio take 5 years to make it back to where it was.

Whereas with Trump no matter when you got into the stock market your portfolio is at an all time high. Even the low of the covid scare was higher than Obamas high point.

Trump reversed a similar drop in less than 6 months. The lockdowns are still going in some of the biggest economies of the country too, Cali, NY, NJ, WA.

Once those end and stop dragging the economy down the economy is going to skyrocket.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Unless you were fortunate/brave enough to have money to invest near the bottom of the market and held it until Trump won the election, you didn’t see a dime of those gains. You just watched your portfolio take 5 years to make it back to where it was.
If this is how you think investing works you should hire someone else to manage your money, you'll be better off. We had a 7/12 bull market under Obama, I made a boatload of money and so did everyone else I know regularly who invests in stocks. If you didn't do very well you've got only yourself to blame.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If Biden gets in and Dems win Congress, expect millions of illegals to be given amnesty. That will really help scab delivery companies knock out some union jobs.

freehoodies

If this is how you think investing works you should hire someone else to manage your money, you'll be better off. We had a 7/12 bull market under Obama, I made a boatload of money and so did everyone else I know regularly who invests in stocks. If you didn't do very well you've got only yourself to blame.
Waiting 5 years for your investments to recoup their losses sure sounds like fun.

Ill stick with reaching record highs every year with Trump. Thanks though.

If Biden gets in and Dems win Congress, expect millions of illegals to be given amnesty. That will really help scab delivery companies knock out some union jobs.
How will this be any different from the trump regime under a Republican congress? Republicans love cheap illegal labor and anything to cut Union jobs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Explain it to me then. Because I thought investing was putting your money into assets that provide a return on the investment.
It was a bull market, I think the S&P 500 averaged around 13% in yearly returns from 2009 to 2017. How could you not make money when all you had to do was contribute to an index fund every week? If someone tells you that they didn't make any money in the market during those years either they weren't investing or they're very bad at it. Like historically bad.

freehoodies

It was a bull market, I think the S&P 500 averaged around 13% in yearly returns from 2009 to 2017. How could you not make money when all you had to do was contribute to an index fund every week? If someone tells you that they didn't make any money in the market during those years either they weren't investing or they're very bad at it. Like historically bad.

Lets ignore the other hallmarks of the obama economy, like being upside down on your mortgage. Or having your hours cut from 40 a week to 32. And losing your health coverage because of that. And having to now pay over 400$ a month for coverage that used to cost 100$. Or your kids college costs tripling and they cant get a job with the degree so they stay living with you till they are 26.

Lets keep it simple

Take the most common scenario. Regular guy/gal putting money into their 401k every year because employer matches.

Obama becomes president. Your portfolio value drops by a third in a year. If you were close to retirement, you now have to put that off.

You keep putting money into your 401k, and keep working. It takes you almost 5 years to get back to where your portfolio was in 2008.
(A little less than 5 because the money you've invested since the crash grew faster because it was invested near the bottom)

At the end of the presidency, 8 years later, your portfolio has barely kept up with inflation, compared to just stuffing the cash under your mattress.

Compare that to the last four years. Every year your portfolio reaches a new record high.

You can retire earlier now, not have to put it off until it recovers.

Even with the record highs, if you keep investing it keeps hitting new record highs. The only temporary hiccup is a global economic shutdown that the experts all said would take decades to undo the damage. 5 months later a new record high.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Obama becomes president. Your portfolio value drops by a third in a year. If you were close to retirement, you now have to put that off.

You keep putting money into your 401k, and keep working. It takes you almost 5 years to get back to where your portfolio was in 2008.
(A little less than 5 because the money you've invested since the crash grew faster because it was invested near the bottom)

At the end of the presidency, 8 years later, your portfolio has barely kept up with inflation, compared to just stuffing the cash under your mattress.
Your portfolio dropped a third in Obama's first year? My condolences, you must have made some truly terrible decisions. If you had been invested in an S&P 500 index fund you would have seen a return of 23.5%.
The rest of your post is just as loopy. Find a decent investment calculator and work out your returns on investing anywhere from $200 to $400 a week for 2009 to 2017 (pretty close to what I was doing). Spoiler alert: It's a lot more than "barely kept up with inflation".

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Mr. Wally, Do you know UPS still using scad companies today and no one seems to care.

freehoodies

Your portfolio dropped a third in Obama's first year? My condolences, you must have made some truly terrible decisions. If you had been invested in an S&P 500 index fund you would have seen a return of 23.5%.
The rest of your post is just as loopy. Find a decent investment calculator and work out your returns on investing anywhere from $200 to $400 a week for 2009 to 2017 (pretty close to what I was doing). Spoiler alert: It's a lot more than "barely kept up with inflation".
If you seriously want to rewrite history and pretend that the 2008 market crash and the anemic recovery that followed didnt happen, then go ahead.

An s&p500 index fund is literally the s&p500. Its just a portfolio of stocks from the 500 largest companies. You seriously shouldn’t be telling me I don’t understand investing if you think anything different.

Anyone over the age of 30 remembers how bad it was.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you seriously want to rewrite history and pretend that the 2008 market crash and the anemic recovery that followed didnt happen, then go ahead.

An s&p500 index fund is literally the s&p500. Its just a portfolio of stocks from the 500 largest companies. You seriously shouldn’t be telling me I don’t understand investing if you think anything different.

Anyone over the age of 30 remembers how bad it was.
We had a bull market during Obama's presidency. If you were actively investing in the stock market during those 8 years you did very well (at least you should have). I don't know why the concept of investors making money during a bull market seems so incomprehensible to you, it's not rocket science.