Teamsters Healthcare Cobra

ckm

Hi ,
My husband had been with UPS in NC for 27 years including 5 PT years. He hurt his back at the end of February in 2020. D/t COVID it’s taken much longer to receive Work Comp care.
After we hit the yr. mark of health coverage we were told it’s now the responsibility of member to pick up Cobra. We were unaware of this. We just feel that if not for COVID he more than likely would’ve returned to work in under the years time.
I’ve asked Teamcare and Teamsters can coverage not be extended a few months. We are being penalized and forced to pay $540 a week in Health Care. B/c I have many health issues we need to maintain full coverage for right now.
I’ve also spoken to a lawyer and no one it seems has thought or heard of extended coverage for work comp delays d/t COVID. I would value everyone’s opinion and possible options.
Thanks

trickpony1

Some one on this forum might suggest calling your state worker comp board (I think that's what it's called).

I would think they would have answers to all your questions.
If the office is within driving distance you may want to take all your paperwork and drop by.

Hope this helps.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Hi ,
My husband had been with UPS in NC for 27 years including 5 PT years. He hurt his back at the end of February in 2020. D/t COVID it’s taken much longer to receive Work Comp care.
After we hit the yr. mark of health coverage we were told it’s now the responsibility of member to pick up Cobra. We were unaware of this. We just feel that if not for COVID he more than likely would’ve returned to work in under the years time.
I’ve asked Teamcare and Teamsters can coverage not be extended a few months. We are being penalized and forced to pay $540 a week in Health Care. B/c I have many health issues we need to maintain full coverage for right now.
I’ve also spoken to a lawyer and no one it seems has thought or heard of extended coverage for work comp delays d/t COVID. I would value everyone’s opinion and possible options.
Thanks
We have had a few employees out on comp throughout this period of Covid, and yes Covid and all of its consequences have definitely led to longer then normal recovery times.

Unfortunately unless the trust that manages your healthcare offers an extension, there are no specific exceptions.

You need to call the hall and ask for the contact info for your managing trust and ask them. Guys with lawyers have also been told the same thing, go on medical.

It isn’t right but unfortunately it’s the truth.

ckm

We have had a few employees out on comp throughout this period of Covid, and yes Covid and all of its consequences have definitely led to longer then normal recovery times.

Unfortunately unless the trust that manages your healthcare offers an extension, there are no specific exceptions.

You need to call the hall and ask for the contact info for your managing trust and ask them. Guys with lawyers have also been told the same thing, go on medical.

It isn’t right but unfortunately it’s the truth.
Ok this is very helpful. Thank you !

Big Rigger

!Hi ,
Thanks
Did he pick his vacations for this year in Nov of 2020? Being on WC gives him a year of vacation accrual hours and depending on his seniority date he will have at least the seven weeks of vacation to receive to help with some of the burden. If he hasn't received vacation time checks this year you can ask for them to pay them up ahead of schedule due to "hardship"....if you want to and really need the help.

You also need to get a really good lawyer for WC if you haven't gotten one already.

SLW

Hi ,
Thanks
Have you checked this out re your Cobra bill?

Inthegame

Well according to a previous post of yours, they're in the Bahamas not answering their phones.

So can we assume you know nothing of these WC resources you've alleged are offered from a local in North Carolina you're not a member of?

Perhaps you should follow the guidance of our greatest President Abraham Lincoln..."It's better to remain silent(ze) and appear the fool, rather than to speak and remove all doubt."

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Well according to a previous post of yours, they're in the Bahamas not answering their phones.

So can we assume you know nothing of these WC resources you've alleged are offered from a local in North Carolina you're not a member of?

Perhaps you should follow the guidance of our greatest President Abraham Lincoln..."It's better to remain silent(ze) and appear the fool, rather than to speak and remove all doubt."
Apparently you got hit in the head.
Call the hall. Its not like you only have one business representative. There are tons of guys there that can help you navigate workers comp with ups. Its not like your the first guy to get hurt at work.

542thruNthru

Apparently you got hit in the head.
Call the hall. Its not like you only have one business representative. There are tons of guys there that can help you navigate workers comp with ups. Its not like your the first guy to get hurt at work.
He's not the OP brother.

Inthegame

He's not the OP brother.
He's normally confused. I like to play with him, but he doesn't know it.

On the topic, most BA's give basic info on WC as it's a state and legal issue. There's been more than a few members blame the union for some friend'up with WC so some locals are gun shy from getting overly involved.